Rising 2L Seeks OCI Advice - Which firms value GPA the most? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Rising 2L Seeks OCI Advice - Which firms value GPA the most?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:49 am

I finished 1L in the top 1% of my class at a school ranked in the 50s. No plans to transfer, but would like to capitalize on the GPA and ranking and secure a 2L SA position which will hopefully yield an offer after grad. Judicial extern this summer and solid work experience prior to law school for several years. Targeting the Nor Cal with ties to the area, but also would consider other markets and focus is on litigation.

So, which firms care most about GPA?

RaceJudicata

Gold

Re: Rising 2L Seeks OCI Advice - Which firms value GPA the most?

Post by RaceJudicata » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:43 am

What school are you at or at Least what region? What percent of class goes big law? Need more info.

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:51 am

I don't think anymore information is really necessary. Just apply broadly, OP. Target NotCal firms but also LA and NYC firms. You'll get some bites.

I don't know if anyone can tell you here that "Weil Gotschal really won't care that you come from a T50, but Reed Smith here." Just target them all.
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AspiringAspirant

New

Post by AspiringAspirant » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:51 am

The top litigation shops in Cali are Munger & Keker. They're also the most grade-conscious; both firms are insanely difficult to get. But keep in mind they're also somewhat school-conscious, so if you're at a t-50 it'll be quite the long-shot at either. With your grades I think you have solid chances at the next tier of lit firms in Cali: Gibson, Irell, etc. Good luck.

Vincent Adultman

Silver

Post by Vincent Adultman » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:58 am

This is an idiotic way to approach your job search. Target the firms in your desired market that do the type of work you want to do. You can find that out through chambers partners.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BulletTooth

Bronze

Post by BulletTooth » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:44 pm

Your career services office should have information on firms' GPA cutoffs. Use this to gauge what the firms are looking for in terms of GPA. Just to get your list started: Munger, Davis Polk, Skadden, Latham, Gibson, and Arnold & Porter, have norcal offices and are known to look for high GPAs. As mentioned above, you may struggle getting offers from some of these firms coming from a T50 school. But top 1% should at least get you an interview at most.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I finished 1L in the top 1% of my class at a school ranked in the 50s. No plans to transfer, but would like to capitalize on the GPA and ranking and secure a 2L SA position which will hopefully yield an offer after grad. Judicial extern this summer and solid work experience prior to law school for several years. Targeting the Nor Cal with ties to the area, but also would consider other markets and focus is on litigation.

So, which firms care most about GPA?
This is a really dumb way to go about things. Northern California is a tough enough market on its own, let alone for someone at a school ranked in the 50s. You should focus on getting any job there, rather than worrying about who has the highest GPA requirements.

To answer your question, the usual suspects: Keker, Boies, Covington, etc. Someone said Munger, but their summer program is LA only.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:22 pm

OP here. Thank you for the responses. The query was not because I'm snobby about which types of firms to go to, but because I wanted to target my efforts appropriately and realistically.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”