Writing Sample from Current Firm Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Writing Sample from Current Firm

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:52 pm

So I am looking to interview for 3L OCI. I am currently interning at a big law firm and want to use a work product for 3L OCI as a writing sample. How can I ask for permission without affecting my chances of receiving a return offer?

Anonymous User

Re: Writing Sample from Current Firm

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:50 pm

I've never asked permission and it's never been an issue. Change every recognizable attribute in the writing sample. For example, I once used a motion that I wrote as a summer associate in a patent litigation case. But the memo concerned an evidence issue, and the particulars of the technology were completely irrelevant. So in addition to changing the names of the parties, companies, people, and even the courts, I changed the technology at issue completely, from say, a hard drive to an optical system for a camera phone or something like that. Literally none of the changes affected the substance of the motion. It was a "find and replace" exercise, with an occasional grammar fix here and there.

Obviously that may be a lot harder to do with work product that goes to the heart of a substantive issue.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”