Better to reach out to hiring partner or alumni? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Better to reach out to hiring partner or alumni?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:38 pm

BigLaw firm in a major market I know has an opening. If I want to reach out and network/express my interest, should I reach out to the hiring partner who is in the practice group they are hiring(but went to a diff school) or reach out to a random partner who is also in that practice group but is an alumni? Alternatively, would it be okay to reach out to the hiring partner first, then if he ignores, hit up the other partner? Thx.

MrT

Bronze

Re: Better to reach out to hiring partner or alumni?

Post by MrT » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:BigLaw firm in a major market I know has an opening. If I want to reach out and network/express my interest, should I reach out to the hiring partner who is in the practice group they are hiring(but went to a diff school) or reach out to a random partner who is also in that practice group but is an alumni? Alternatively, would it be okay to reach out to the hiring partner first, then if he ignores, hit up the other partner? Thx.
I could be way off, but I would imagine you'd have more success reaching out to an alumni at the associate level.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:46 pm

MrT wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:BigLaw firm in a major market I know has an opening. If I want to reach out and network/express my interest, should I reach out to the hiring partner who is in the practice group they are hiring(but went to a diff school) or reach out to a random partner who is also in that practice group but is an alumni? Alternatively, would it be okay to reach out to the hiring partner first, then if he ignores, hit up the other partner? Thx.
I could be way off, but I would imagine you'd have more success reaching out to an alumni at the associate level.
OP here. How so? I would imagine Partner's yield more power and able to bring me in for an interview if the convo goes well?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
MrT wrote:
OP here. How so? I would imagine Partner's yield more power and able to bring me in for an interview if the convo goes well?
Unless you have something in common with the partner, it's unlikely they would respond because he or she likely does not care and doesn't have the time to answer random people's e-mails in a timely manner when you want something from them. Everyone is different so who knows until you reach out, but an associate is more likely to spend the time to reply/take a phone call/get coffee. Associates and senior associates can also be part of the hiring/recruitment committee as well so it still means something.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:23 pm

Hiring partner is just going to forward your resume to recruiting, alums are wild cards between ignoring, sending to recruiting, or actually providing help. To over generalize, associates are less helpful but more willing to try and be helpful.

I would do one of the alum options, leaning associate if you have nothing in common with the partner beyond school.

BulletTooth

Bronze

Post by BulletTooth » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:29 pm

Why not reach out to both?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”