Best BigLaw firms/markets to consider Top 10% at T2 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Best BigLaw firms/markets to consider Top 10% at T2

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:17 am

What bigger firms and markets are the best to mass mail to if you are coming from a small market T2 (50-60) in the top 5-10% of the class (my GPA is 3.78 on a 3.0 curve). What firms would I have a realistic shot at?

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Re: Best BigLaw firms/markets to consider Top 10% at T2

Post by SmokeytheBear » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:23 am

You're going to have to tell us what region you live in.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:28 am

SmokeytheBear wrote:You're going to have to tell us what region you live in.
This, but also have you spoken with your career services? They should be able to point you to the regional offices of firms you're competitive at. If you're asking how to break into a non-regional Biglaw firm in a major city outside your region, that's a completely different discussion.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:00 am

Your school's region (or more likely, your school's city) is, imo, the only responsible answer to this question.

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:58 am

You are anon, please just tell us where you go to school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:03 am

Also, you want to look for firms that tend to hire 1-3 people from your school on a regular basis, usually because a partner went there, or because there's a good associate from that school. This can be regional but isn't always.

For example, a few NYC firms will hire one or two kids from New York Law School every year because they have a partner from there. But that's primarily open to people who demonstrate an interest in that particular practice group.

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:12 am

Basically, you should go to the firm's website and search attorneys for people who went to your school. If you see a partner and a few associates in a practice group you'd like to work in, it's worth targeting that practice group. For example, Fried Frank has multiple partners from Brooklyn Law School, as well as associates. Seems like there's a place there for a BLS student with a good GPA.

Chances are this will be most common in the geographical area where your school is located, but that really depends.

I mean, I think you should just apply everywhere, but if you want to narrow it down that's how I'd do it.

jchiles

Silver

Post by jchiles » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:25 am

Apply everywhere, I think a lot of top T2 students sabotage themselves by not applying broadly. Your school's market and places with a history of hiring your school are the best options but your CSO should already pushing you that direction/those firms probably all go to your OCI anyhow:

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:03 pm

Echoing what others have said, but T2 is pretty meaningless. If you are at something like the University of Kansas (or any school in "T2"), you aren't really going to be competitive for an NYC big law firm. Of course, it may wind up randomly that Partner X graduated from KU law and you luck out, so I guess just apply anywhere you are interested if you have the time and money.

But I would say target the largest and best firms in your region to maximize your chances.

What about OCI?

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:22 pm

just put in the work and mass mail everywhere, even firms with locations in multiple cities. you could skip MM'ing non-NYC markets that you don't have ties with but don't read tea-leaves and just MM all NYC firms and firms in the city your school feeds.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”