Reneging repercussions, biglaw in a small market. Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Reneging repercussions, biglaw in a small market.

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:05 pm

I have an opportunity in a banking in a small market where I have accepted a biglaw offer. However, to take this opportunity, I will have to renege on a biglaw offer.

Am I fucked if I try and move companies within this small market over the next few years? For example most of the local PE firms use my firm for deals.

Anonymous User

Re: Reneging repercussions, biglaw in a small market.

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:26 pm

I work in tertiary-city big law. My sense is that people don't take acceptances incredibly seriously until a date is set and the steps for the official move are in motion. If you're clear about how your circumstances have changed, at my firm at least, I don't think there would be a significant amount of (or any) bad blood. Additionally, people are too busy (either at work or enjoying their lives) to bandy on about losing some associate about whom they know and knew effectively nothing ("s/he seemed amiable"; "s/he has the right background"; "s/he seemed like s/he was a good fit"). There isn't much more at this stage beyond seeming like something. I mean, I understand that others will push back here. But if you've got another offer doing something that's a better fit -- I recommend you pursue it.

Also, how would reneging a big law offer affect your ability to move companies (and not law firms)? Whenever we lose an offeree, no one is raising flags to clients. That seems to me absurd. Not sure if this is what you're after; if it is, try not to worry about it.

PS I very much like my firm, and the people here are excellent -- staff and attorneys -- so I don't mean to push you in one direction or another.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I work in tertiary-city big law. My sense is that people don't take acceptances incredibly seriously until a date is set and the steps for the official move are in motion. If you're clear about how your circumstances have changed, at my firm at least, I don't think there would be a significant amount of (or any) bad blood. Additionally, people are too busy (either at work or enjoying their lives) to bandy on about losing some associate about whom they know and knew effectively nothing ("s/he seemed amiable"; "s/he has the right background"; "s/he seemed like s/he was a good fit"). There isn't much more at this stage beyond seeming like something. I mean, I understand that others will push back here. But if you've got another offer doing something that's a better fit -- I recommend you pursue it.

Also, how would reneging a big law offer affect your ability to move companies (and not law firms)? Whenever we lose an offeree, no one is raising flags to clients. That seems to me absurd. Not sure if this is what you're after; if it is, try not to worry about it.

PS I very much like my firm, and the people here are excellent -- staff and attorneys -- so I don't mean to push you in one direction or another.
I'm worried about for example a PE firm calling the relationship partner and asking.

tyroneslothrop1

Bronze

Post by tyroneslothrop1 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:44 pm

Absent unusual circumstances, it is unlikely the firm, its partners, or its recruiting department, will remember who you are in three months. The firm will be mildly inconvenienced by having to take the time to interview other candidates from among the mountain of applications it will undoubtedly receive.

ur_hero

Bronze

Post by ur_hero » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:12 pm

Yup, like you're easily replaceable and will be forgotten - granted you haven't started. The firm may eat some recruiting/interviewing costs, but likely they've got a list of people that will be very happy to get an offer now that you're out of the picture.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Night_L

New

Post by Night_L » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:40 am

I am glad TLS has come to its senses on this issue. A couple of years ago, the wisdom around these parts was that reneging was this HORRIFIC infraction that would get you blacklisted in your market and even beyond. As if busy partners gave a shit about random and largely fungible law students or even laterals that they chatted with for half an hour - barely enough to even remember after some weeks.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:26 pm

Night_L wrote: As if busy partners gave a shit about random and largely fungible law students or even laterals that they chatted with for half an hour - barely enough to even remember after some weeks.
Yep. You're fine, OP.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”