Rising 3L - Shot at Biglaw? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Rising 3L - Shot at Biglaw?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:45 pm

Rising 3L at T14 with a 3.8 2L GPA (roughly top 5%). Transferred from T1. Working at a mid size firm this summer in my target market. What’s my chance of getting biglaw at 3L OCI? What are the firms that I should apply to and what is the timeline like?

Anonymous User

Re: Rising 3L - Shot at Biglaw?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Rising 3L at T14 with a 3.8 2L GPA (roughly top 5%). Transferred from T1. Working at a mid size firm this summer in my target market. What’s my chance of getting biglaw at 3L OCI? What are the firms that I should apply to and what is the timeline like?
Bump. Anybody?

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Rising 3L at T14 with a 3.8 2L GPA (roughly top 5%). Transferred from T1. Working at a mid size firm this summer in my target market. What’s my chance of getting biglaw at 3L OCI? What are the firms that I should apply to and what is the timeline like?
Bump. Anybody?
You're in as good of a position as you can hope to be in. Just apply broadly. The timeline will vary: some firms may interview you with the incoming 2L crowd, and some firms may only move when they realize what their yield will be (i.e., how many of their current summers actually accept offers). And some firms may not move until early Spring, when they get a feel for how much help they'll need in the fall. You can't really "chance" it, as 3L hiring is much less organized/systematic than 2L OCI. I know of at least one biglaw firm that extended an offer to a student as late as March of 3L.

Congrats on the grades.
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:08 pm

Thank you! That's great to hear. I guess I'll just apply broadly and see what happens. Did the 3L have biglaw SA for their 2L summer?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:39 pm

Pretty good chances.

Mass mail after full time offers have been extended by firms (so around beginning of August).

I've heard of people get Skadden as a T14 transfer with no 2L biglaw. I've heard of people get biglaw during 3L 2nd semester from networking. I've also heard people get biglaw right before graduation.

Just apply aggressively and network.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:51 pm

Depends slightly on the market and what group you want to be in. Latham and Skadden (maybe Gibson too, I believe) have dipped into the 3L market in LA for the last few years.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:57 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:Depends slightly on the market and what group you want to be in. Latham and Skadden (maybe Gibson too, I believe) have dipped into the 3L market in LA for the last few years.
NYC Corporate? Did the LA offices hire for their litigation groups?

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:Depends slightly on the market and what group you want to be in. Latham and Skadden (maybe Gibson too, I believe) have dipped into the 3L market in LA for the last few years.
NYC Corporate? Did the LA offices hire for their litigation groups?
Just check their hiring pages and check with your career office.

surrealfx

New

Post by surrealfx » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:58 pm

I got big law in November after graduating top 11% from a top 20 law school and being on law review. I worked at a small -- although well-regarded -- plaintiffs' litigation firm during my 2L summer. I was lucky. I applied to clerkships and about 90 other jobs, none of which I got. The first job is the hardest. I'd suggest focusing on keeping your GPA high and passing the bar. Depending on your state and how often the bar exam is given, failing will make it hard or impossible for firms to hire you around the time the other first-year associates start. I was worried about not having been a summer associate. I thought I'd be behind everyone else. Then I learned that summer associates don't do anything. All the best!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”