Do I have a shot at Cravath? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Do I have a shot at Cravath?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:16 am

I wanted to know my chances at Cravath. I'm a URM with a 3.5-3.6 GPA. I go to one of MVPD and am working at a V10 this summer. Really like my firm so want to be really selective at OCI.

jd20132013

Silver

Re: Do I have a shot at Cravath?

Post by jd20132013 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:27 am

Why do you want cravath?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:36 am

OP.

Exit options, rotation system, prestige, complex high stakes work.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP.

I may have misread. Are you a 1L SA or a 2L talking about 3L OCI?
Last edited by jbagelboy on Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:48 am

Think of all of the people I could try to impress by handing them my Cravath business card

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jd20132013

Silver

Post by jd20132013 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:49 am

So just prestige then.

Let me advise you to stay where you are

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:50 am

Last edited by jbagelboy on Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Humbert Humbert

Bronze

Post by Humbert Humbert » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:51 am

I got the impression he's a 1L summer entering OCI...His question doesn't seem that outlandish to me.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:52 am

Humbert Humbert wrote:I got the impression he's a 1L summer entering OCI...His question doesn't seem that outlandish to me.
If this is true, then I retract my responses except for my prediction. I assumed 2L.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:00 pm

OP.

To clarify I am a 1L SA.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I wanted to know my chances at Cravath. I'm a URM with a 3.5-3.6 GPA. I go to one of MVPD and am working at a V10 this summer. Really like my firm so want to be really selective at OCI.
Chances are solid, assuming you interview well. As a 2L SA last summer at a v10, I summered with a 1L from t10-13 with probably similar GPA who is now at Cravath. Similarly situated 1L's are now at S&C and Wachtell. And the same thing happened the year before with a 1L from t12-15 who then went to Cravath 2L summer.

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I wanted to know my chances at Cravath. I'm a URM with a 3.5-3.6 GPA. I go to one of MVPD and am working at a V10 this summer. Really like my firm so want to be really selective at OCI.
What's your school's median? This GPA would be a bit below what is typical for students with CSM offers at my school.

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:49 pm

At least at some schools, the CSO will tell you the range of GPAs for people offered CBs last year.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:47 pm

OP.

We have a B+ curve. I'm safely in the top 25%. I know I am on the lower end of who Cravath usually accepts. This is why I asked if I have a "shot".

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:55 pm

We have a B+ curve. I'm safely in the top 25%. I know I am on the lower end of who Cravath usually accepts. This is why I asked if I have a "shot".
Yes you have a shot. Definitely worth a bid

BulletTooth

Bronze

Post by BulletTooth » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Chances are solid, assuming you interview well. As a 2L SA last summer at a v10, I summered with a 1L from t10-13 with probably similar GPA who is now at Cravath. Similarly situated 1L's are now at S&C and Wachtell. And the same thing happened the year before with a 1L from t12-15 who then went to Cravath 2L summer.
+1. I think you have a good shot--your GPA sounds consistent with other who I know got offers from there that were URMs.

unlicensedpotato

Silver

Post by unlicensedpotato » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:15 pm

I don't work in NY, so someone please correct me if they disagree, but my impression is that lots of NY attorneys would think it was odd to leave a V10 you really like for CSM.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:43 pm

OP.

This is not a permanent decision. I will (hopefully) have offers to join both firms after next summer. I have to return to my 1L SA for the last couple weeks or so next summer.

magnum_law

Bronze

Post by magnum_law » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:01 pm

Are you a diverse candidate by chance? May make a difference

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:02 pm

unlicensedpotato wrote:I don't work in NY, so someone please correct me if they disagree, but my impression is that lots of NY attorneys would think it was odd to leave a V10 you really like for CSM.
I think this is more about whether its worth bidding on csm at OCI. The OP phrased it rather poorly such that it looked silly, but as a 1L going into OCI its reasonable to interview with all the top flight firms even if you already had a good 1L SA

unlicensedpotato

Silver

Post by unlicensedpotato » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:43 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
I think this is more about whether its worth bidding on csm at OCI. The OP phrased it rather poorly such that it looked silly, but as a 1L going into OCI its reasonable to interview with all the top flight firms even if you already had a good 1L SA

This is not a permanent decision. I will (hopefully) have offers to join both firms after next summer. I have to return to my 1L SA for the last couple weeks or so next summer.
My fault. Completely agree then that this would be a good split. It's definitely worth a bid.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

quiver

Silver

Post by quiver » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:07 pm

jbagelboy wrote:

Yes you have a shot. Definitely worth a bid
This. If you don't get a callback, then no biggie, you have your 1L firm and you save yourself a full-day interview gauntlet.

Sploshy

New

Post by Sploshy » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:12 pm

unlicensedpotato wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:

My fault. Completely agree then that this would be a good split. It's definitely worth a bid.
not sure if I'm misunderstanding what you're saying but I just wanted to point out that Cravath has a policy of not allowing anyone to summer intern unless they agree not to intern with any other NYC firm. (this might be outdated I read it about a year ago)

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:04 pm

Sploshy wrote:
unlicensedpotato wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:

not sure if I'm misunderstanding what you're saying but I just wanted to point out that Cravath has a policy of not allowing anyone to summer intern unless they agree not to intern with any other NYC firm. (this might be outdated I read it about a year ago)
This is standard in NY, most firms prohibit NY/NY splits but make an exception for the 2 week victory lap at firms you worked at as a 1L and i'd be very surprised if this wasn't the case at Cravath.

OP - whether you should want to work at Cravath is a question you should consider very carefully but you are competitive, they will dip into classes for URMs and your 1L SA will probably be a major positive (NY firms love the opportunity to one up each other).

BlendedUnicorn

Platinum

Post by BlendedUnicorn » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:28 pm

You definitely have a shot but I don't see why you would go to Cravath over a v10 you already like.

e. But yeah split away if you want. No harm from it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”