Do I have a shot at Cravath? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
TLSModBot

Diamond

Re: Do I have a shot at Cravath?

Post by TLSModBot » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:30 pm

Nebby wrote:Think of all of the people I could try to impress by handing them my Cravath business card
Maybe limit your dumbass snark to the Lounge Nebs.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:33 pm

CSM allows the standard two week touch back - nothing to worry about there. It's common for 1L SA's to jump to another firm for their 2L summer and end up there after graduation. Don't worry about any stigma there.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:34 pm

Capitol_Idea wrote:
Nebby wrote:Think of all of the people I could try to impress by handing them my Cravath business card
Did someone report this? Smdh I was on topic

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:46 pm

Nebby wrote:
Capitol_Idea wrote:
This was a valueless comment and you should know better. Keep it in the Lounge.

shelob

Silver

Post by shelob » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:50 pm

Nebby wrote:
Capitol_Idea wrote:
I did. Even as someone who is kinda horrified by Cravath and who has a friend who lasted something like three months there, there are good reasons to go to Cravath over nearly any other (obtainable) firm.

OP, everyone has said this, but yes, you have a shot and should apply.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:37 pm

summering at cravath seems shitty and miserable. why you'd do that to yourself in one of your last potentially-decent summers is really beyond me.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:03 pm

Capitol_Idea wrote:
Nebby wrote:
Capitol_Idea wrote:
This was a valueless comment and you should know better. Keep it in the Lounge.
It wasn't valueless at the time. Before OP clarified that he or she was a 1L SA, it was relevant to poke the OP for making a ridiculous suggestion

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:04 pm

landshoes wrote:summering at cravath seems shitty and miserable. why you'd do that to yourself in one of your last potentially-decent summers is really beyond me.
....to eventually work there as a first-year associate?

Cravath gets a lot of flack on this board (and for some good reasons), but to act as if there are no real, justifiable reasons to summer there as a 2L over another firm is ridiculous.
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawlorbust

Bronze

Post by lawlorbust » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:59 am

runinthefront wrote:
landshoes wrote:summering at cravath seems shitty and miserable. why you'd do that to yourself in one of your last potentially-decent summers is really beyond me.

Cravath gets a lot of flack on this board (and for some good reasons), but to act as if there are no real, justifiable reasons to summer there as a 2L over another firm is ridiculous.
landshoes' persistent inferiority complex about his school, career, and life will in time become the stuff of legend throughout the land of Top Law Schools.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:13 am

lawlorbust wrote:
runinthefront wrote:

landshoes' persistent inferiority complex about his school, career, and life will in time become the stuff of legend throughout the land of Top Law Schools.
^^^extremely cool dude

I'm clear on the whole SA concept. In the context of this thread, summering at cravath seems dumb af. Life is short and you already have a V10 job and yet you want a legitimately shitty working summer? There's no indication that there's a practice group they want to try or anything besides OMG CRAVATH. The major benefit of having two firm summers (besides the $$) is that you can try something you might actually want to do, because you already have an offer. I guess trying out cravath is fine if that's your fondest desire. But it's depressing to see people whose only thought, when given an opportunity to try something different or interesting, is prestige chasing. Like, why not Boies? Why not a firm that's especially strong in a field you're interested in (e.g. Skadden for tax)? Idgi

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:46 am

OP here.

I never mentioned that I was Cravath or bust. I will be going to another firm next summer to compare my experiences at the two. I just asked whether Cravath was a valid option.

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:51 am

Sorry dude, my bad. In that case let me be more helpful. You have a shot everywhere so if you are narrowing things down, you should focus on what you want. Don't pre-reject yourself from anywhere. A 20 minute screener is basically nothing compared to your career so you should go for any and every firm you're into, including CSM.

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:54 am

Iirc you're an URM and sometimes we don't aim high enough because we don't have the same entitlement as other people. (True also of women, first-gen college students, etc.) Don't let that shit phase you. You are qualified and you have a shot.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:34 pm

Can anyone confirm that Cravath NY is doing early interviews this cycle?

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone confirm that Cravath NY is doing early interviews this cycle?

Thanks!
Curious to know this, too. I sent materials and got a response essentially saying "bid on us at OIC". I'm sure that different firms have different reasons for doing early interviews, but the firms that have given me early interview slots are both places where I had some sort of connection (interviewed at one for 1L summer, happened to meet the recruiting director of one at a non-law related event, etc) - seems like a lot of places are reluctant to give early interviews because they are getting pushback from law school career offices.

ETA - Re: pushback from law school career offices, I have gotten a couple responses to mailings that specifically mention not granting early interviews because it is against my school's policy. Maybe that's just blowing smoke, but at one of the early interviews I did, the recruiting person made a remark about my school not being happy about pre-OCI interviews.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:28 pm

If they've done pre OCI interviews in the past they will do them this year. The race is moving earlier not later and Cravath cares just as much as its peers about getting in front of the (perceived) best candidates before they are off of the market. I wouldn't take a "bid on us" response as a slight though, pre OCI interviews are like 90% reserved for people with connections or out of staters in NY for their 1L summer (and in the latter case, probably requiring grades firmly above whatever CSM's cutoff is).

BulletTooth

Bronze

Post by BulletTooth » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:36 pm

I can confirm that I knew people at Cravath who did the 2-week victory lap--I think maybe even 4 weeks in some cases. Not a bad deal if you can get it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:22 pm

Yea I'm well above cutoff so was wondering. Thanks.
2014 wrote:If they've done pre OCI interviews in the past they will do them this year. The race is moving earlier not later and Cravath cares just as much as its peers about getting in front of the (perceived) best candidates before they are off of the market. I wouldn't take a "bid on us" response as a slight though, pre OCI interviews are like 90% reserved for people with connections or out of staters in NY for their 1L summer (and in the latter case, probably requiring grades firmly above whatever CSM's cutoff is).

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:35 pm

I don't actually think you know what you're talking about. You can go to the London office, get your housing paid for, and profit. It's not bad.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:00 pm

RedGiant wrote:
I don't actually think you know what you're talking about. You can go to the London office, get your housing paid for, and profit. It's not bad.
This is not the standard experience

I'm not saying Cravath summers are bad, and I would guess landshoes is seriously exaggerating, its still a summer at a white shoe law firm, but they are comparatively sub-par.

BulletTooth

Bronze

Post by BulletTooth » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
RedGiant wrote:
This is not the standard experience

I'm not saying Cravath summers are bad, and I would guess landshoes is seriously exaggerating, its still a summer at a white shoe law firm, but they are comparatively sub-par.
Yeah, my understanding is that only 2 summers (out of over 100) went to the London office. So I wouldn't apply with that in mind.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

UVA2028

New

Post by UVA2028 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:32 am

I would say you definitely have a chance at that range although each school sets up its OGI differently, as I understand it. Would be happy to chat as someone coming from MVPD recently (albeit not as a URM). Feel free to reach out by private message.

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:Yea I'm well above cutoff so was wondering. Thanks.
2014 wrote:If they've done pre OCI interviews in the past they will do them this year. The race is moving earlier not later and Cravath cares just as much as its peers about getting in front of the (perceived) best candidates before they are off of the market. I wouldn't take a "bid on us" response as a slight though, pre OCI interviews are like 90% reserved for people with connections or out of staters in NY for their 1L summer (and in the latter case, probably requiring grades firmly above whatever CSM's cutoff is).
I would say this is generally correct, with the caveat that there are new hiring partners this year, and there's always a chance they choose to do things differently.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”