Feeling Hopeless During Job Search Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Feeling Hopeless During Job Search

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:58 am

Unsure of what to do.

I have a 2.89 at a T-20. I'm an URM ( Black (although not AA) and Female). I struck out at the last job fair I tried, so given my grades I'm not really looking forward to OCI.

I don't really care if I do big law at this point I just really need a job.

I went to a therapist and was diagnosed with severe anxiety among other things and I am on a journey this summer to get all of that straight before school starts back. So hopefully I will see a big jump in my 2L grades. Until then, I need to find a job for 2L, Summer. Does anybody have recommendations for places I can look?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IExistedOnceBefore

Bronze

Re: Feeling Hopeless During Job Search

Post by IExistedOnceBefore » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:16 pm

It's only mid-June. Don't let those who are all "IF YOU DON'T HAVE A JOB BY NOW YOU'RE TOAST" freak you out. You still have time and it's not over until the fat lady sings. Right now polish your materials and start networking like a mad woman. You're going to want to practice your interviews and get in contact with alumni. Definitely do some mass mailing, and get all of that polished, but you want to reach out to connections and networks and ask how to proceed. You want to get your resume passed through your connections instead of mailing without any sort of introduction if possible. All that will help you overcome your GPA.

The process is long, it could go through early next year, but if you put in the elbow grease you will be fine.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:27 pm

It is really early to be worrying. If you're not committed to biglaw, a lot of smaller places don't do traditional OCI or hire on that schedule, but may still be receptive to something for next summer.

andythefir

Silver

Post by andythefir » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Unsure of what to do.

I have a 2.89 at a T-20. I'm an URM ( Black, although not AA and Female). I struck out at the last job fair I tried, so given my grades I'm not really looking forward to OCI.

I don't really care if I do big law at this point I just really need a job.

I went to a therapist and was diagnosed with severe anxiety among other things and I am on a journey this summer to get all of that straight before school starts back. So hopefully I will see a big jump in my 2L grades. Until then, I need to find a job for 2L, Summer. Does anybody have recommendations for places I can look?
2+ entry level jobs posted yesterday. http://www.nmbar.org/NmbarDocs/PubRes/B ... -06-21.pdf

The people who insist there are no jobs mean there are no jobs if you have geographic/practice area limitations. If you're willing to move, there's work.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:34 pm

Not sure any of those are going to help for a 2L summer job.

(also, do you think law firms in Albuquerque are facing the same kinds of hiring pressures as rural DAs?)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

andythefir

Silver

Post by andythefir » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:51 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Not sure any of those are going to help for a 2L summer job.

(also, do you think law firms in Albuquerque are facing the same kinds of hiring pressures as rural DAs?)
They won't help finding a 2L summer job, but they should help the hopelessness. There are jobs out there, you just have to swim against the law student currents.

Re ABQ firms, they have an oversupply over attorneys, as does the ABQ DA and the AG centered in ABQ. UNM brings in kids from all over the state into ABQ and they stay in abq. In fact, the ABQ DA pays some of the lowest salaries across the state.

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:59 pm

IExistedOnceBefore wrote:"IF YOU DON'T HAVE A JOB BY NOW YOU'RE TOAST"
Who says this? It's June. Most firms don't even start doing callbacks until July. Sure, some firms give offers out in June, but they're a minority, and they give June offers to an even smaller minority of their summer classes.

Also, what does "Black, but not AA and Female" mean? You're a black male? "But not AA?"

Doesn't public interest hire wayyyy later for 2L summer? Like December-later?

OP is a rising 2L looking for a summer job for next summer, right? Yes, it is a little late to start looking for a job for this summer. There are like 6 weeks left.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:01 pm

andythefir wrote:They won't help finding a 2L summer job, but they should help the hopelessness. There are jobs out there, you just have to swim against the law student currents.
And miraculously develop ties to a region that your school may not directly service. Which really hasn't got anything to do with "swimming against the current".

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:06 pm

I got the offer for my 2L job at the end of March, roughly a month and half before I started working. Small/mid-Sized firm hiring is not on remotely the same timeline as Biglaw. Start mass-mailing and networking your ass off. It's a hassle, but it can be done. Networking can start now. You should be scheduling coffee or lunch with everyone willing to talk to you. When I did this, a solid portion of the attorneys I spoke to would give a list of people I should talk to, who would then give me more lists of people to talk to. It's draining, but you'll get to know a fuckload of lawyers in the process.
Last edited by MKC on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

IExistedOnceBefore

Bronze

Post by IExistedOnceBefore » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:13 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:
Who says this? It's June. Most firms don't even start doing callbacks until July. Sure, some firms give offers out in June, but they're a minority, and they give June offers to an even smaller minority of their summer classes.

Also, what does "Black, but not AA and Female" mean? You're a black male? "But not AA?"

OP is a rising 2L looking for a summer job for next summer, right? Yes, it is a little late to start looking for a job for this summer. There are like 6 weeks left.
There's a lot of fear mongering happening this cycle. It's super annoying. People are talking about call backs and how if you aren't getting them already you're late. I know OCI is getting earlier and earlier but it's creating unnecessary stress. I'm assuming that OP is hearing some of it just as much as I am.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:39 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:

I'm a black female but I'm not AA. I'm African

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:01 pm

I think, for purposes of diversity hiring, firms don't distinguish much between African and African American, which is why I was very confused by your "but not AA" caveat.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:16 pm

Slightly above median here from a strong regional - Emory, USC, SMU, etc. I'm splitting my summer, and got one offer in February and one in late April. One in-house and one at a mid-sized firm. I say that to say that you have plenty of time - even if you strike out at OCI (which is still over a month away, btw) you'll find a job and get good experience somewhere. Big law isn't the end all, be all of the legal world.

Good luck OP. Try not to stress it yet, just keep working your contacts, MMing, etc. as others have said.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

andythefir

Silver

Post by andythefir » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:17 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
andythefir wrote:They won't help finding a 2L summer job, but they should help the hopelessness. There are jobs out there, you just have to swim against the law student currents.
And miraculously develop ties to a region that your school may not directly service. Which really hasn't got anything to do with "swimming against the current".
Jobs posted in the link don't require ties. Point is: jobs that are easy to see (big firms, clerkships, places posting on simplicity) will get a ton of applications, where the armpit parts of the country won't.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:39 am

andythefir wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
Jobs posted in the link don't require ties. Point is: jobs that are easy to see (big firms, clerkships, places posting on simplicity) will get a ton of applications, where the armpit parts of the country won't.
And you know that these jobs won't prioritize UNM students because...? I mean, you already pointed out that ABQ has too many attorneys, so I don't see how you can argue that people from schools that don't service that region have a fighting chance at breaking into the market.

The OP is going to be fine, but you can't use postings from any state in the country to prove the existence of ethereal "jobs".

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:

I'm a black female but I'm not AA. I'm African
Are you not an American citizen? I'm confused at what the difference between those two are.

Either ways, no reason to freak out right now. You have plenty of time to find a job. Freak out if you haven't found a job for 2L summer by next June.

jhett

Bronze

Post by jhett » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:17 am

lavarman84 wrote:Are you not an American citizen? I'm confused at what the difference between those two are.
She's saying she's not American and her country of origin is in Africa. There are black people outside of the US, you know.

To OP: it's still early in the process. You'll have to cast a wider net though, as your grades make the OCI route harder. Network, mass mail, try going for diversity slots, target firms of all sizes, be flexible on location, look at in-house/government/non-profits, etc.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:32 am

She didn't say anything about her citizenship, though.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:53 am

jhett wrote:
lavarman84 wrote:Are you not an American citizen? I'm confused at what the difference between those two are.
She's saying she's not American and her country of origin is in Africa. There are black people outside of the US, you know.

To OP: it's still early in the process. You'll have to cast a wider net though, as your grades make the OCI route harder. Network, mass mail, try going for diversity slots, target firms of all sizes, be flexible on location, look at in-house/government/non-profits, etc.
If she's an American citizen who is from Africa, I'm not sure how that would qualify as something other than African American. In my mind, being an American citizen makes you an American. Are African Americans only considered to be American-born black people with African ancestry?

This is why I just use black IRL. Makes things a lot simpler. But I appreciate you letting me know that there are black people outside of the U.S. I was completely unaware of that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:26 am

lavarman84 wrote:
jhett wrote:

If she's an American citizen who is from Africa, I'm not sure how that would qualify as something other than African American. In my mind, being an American citizen makes you an American. Are African Americans only considered to be American-born black people with African ancestry?

This is why I just use black IRL. Makes things a lot simpler. But I appreciate you letting me know that there are black people outside of the U.S. I was completely unaware of that.
I am an American citizen. AA is a specific ethnic group of the descendants of the slaves. I am Nigerian American

Bach-City

Bronze

Post by Bach-City » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:27 am

Last edited by Bach-City on Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

pml87

New

Post by pml87 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:47 pm

lavarman84 wrote:
jhett wrote:

This might strike you as a surprise, but there are very few similarities (culture, outlook, language) between the African American community in the US and someone who just came over from Africa. It's not surprising that OP identifies herself by her nationality rather than her skin color.

The same thing with Asian American who just came over: they identify themselves by their nationality but their children and grandchildren eventually identify as Asian American because to Americans tend to lump people together using skin color.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”