2017 Texas OCI (UT/SMU/Baylor/UH + Others) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 2017 Texas OCI (UT/SMU/Baylor/UH + Others)

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Akin Gump Dallas offer from CB this week
What day was your CB and what day did the offer come if you don't mind me asking?
I don't want to get too specific but my CB was early in the week and my offer came late on Friday.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:06 pm

Not to sound inconsiderate or ridiculous, but is there any reason for a 2L considering Houston offers to be worried about the Houston legal market right now due to the flooding?

Roy McAvoy

Bronze

Post by Roy McAvoy » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not to sound inconsiderate or ridiculous, but is there any reason for a 2L considering Houston offers to be worried about the Houston legal market right now due to the flooding?
No

mister logical

Bronze

Post by mister logical » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:17 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Not to sound inconsiderate or ridiculous, but is there any reason for a 2L considering Houston offers to be worried about the Houston legal market right now due to the flooding?
No
Not at all, although this flooding is worse than usual by a lot, Houston floods pretty much every year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:45 pm

How much should or shouldn't I read into the number of lawyers who are reaching out after an offer? I have one firm where almost every single person in the practice group has contacted me to congratulate or ask me out to coffee, and another where I've had an offer for three weeks and not one single person has contacted me to say anything. I'm not sure if this is just a meaningless difference in recruiting strategies or if I should be reading something into that.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:54 pm

Is it safe to assume that it will take longer than normal to hear back from a recent Houston callback because of the flooding? Had a callback at the end of last week.

Lawyer54321

New

Post by Lawyer54321 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:01 pm

Leave it to tls to be self-interested in a tragedy.. Why would you even take a job in the city if you don't care about it..

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:Is it safe to assume that it will take longer than normal to hear back from a recent Houston callback because of the flooding? Had a callback at the end of last week.
Yes

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:28 pm

Anyone hear from Polsinelli Dallas?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is it safe to assume that it will take longer than normal to hear back from a recent Houston callback because of the flooding? Had a callback at the end of last week.
Yeah, I'd expect a delay. I have friends at several firms whose offices are closed until Thursday at the earliest.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:51 pm

I don't even care if I'm outed. But this is so fking selfish given what these people are suffering

habeas2210

Bronze

Post by habeas2210 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:04 pm

There was no escaping sounding inconsiderate, or at the very least "ridiculous." In fact, you sound, and are an inconsiderate asshole. Do me a favor, and the rest of my city a favor, and get a job elsewhere.

Mods, OP, and other 2Ls: Apologies for derailing this thread, but this struck a nerve with all the destruction my family and friends are experiencing. A regions legal market prospectives are fucking irrelevant if you lost your life.

Lawyer54321

New

Post by Lawyer54321 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:50 pm

Houston needs help and prayers If you have any faith. I'm not even from there but I know so many people affected by this. I'm infuriated by the fucking selfish pricks who only care about an interview when people are dying. If you are across this continent please donate. What you see on the news doesn't even incompass how many ppl have died.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Sidley Dallas offer
Congrats! When was your CB?
Two weeks ago.
Do you know if this common for them?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Sidley Dallas offer
Congrats! When was your CB?
Two weeks ago.
Do you know if this common for them?
OP here. I think even longer is common. I actually got mine a bit early because I called and told them I had a deadline and thankfully they were willing to speed things up to meet it. They are REALLY focused on making sure they find the right personality fit, much moreso than other firms, so I get the feeling they try to finish all callbacks before making any offers, though I have no firsthand knowledge of that. Of course it's also practice group dependent, since their offers are mostly group specific. They are doing an offeree dinner this week so I would guess all first round offers are out by now.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:13 pm

Any Akin or Bracewell Houston movement, and if so, date of CB date of offer plz :)

mselbz

New

Post by mselbz » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:50 pm

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Oskosh

Silver

Post by Oskosh » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:38 am

mselbz wrote:
Wtf? Get out of here with this bs.

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:43 am

No, OP, there isn't any need to worry. Houston is a strong city; it will recover and its legal market will be just fine.

Given the number of posters who've reacted negatively to your question, I wanted to add my own 2¢. While there are many places where your question would be tactless and inappropriate, I don't think thread this is one of them. I, too, have friends (and some extended family) in Houston upon whom Harvey continues to wreak considerable emotional and physical damage. However, it's also my understanding that Biglaw and NALP timelines are marching forward.

I do think your post came off a touch inconsiderate and that you could've worded it better. But I don't think you're a bad person for posting it, and I don't think the inquiry itself reflects poorly on your character. Good luck with the rest of the OCI.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:00 pm

I think you've actually been unfairly characterized as insensitive. It is just poor timing that this has happened while you're making the most important decision of law school. The flood has caused a lot of major physical, psychological, and economic damage so I think your question is fair. To your question: I wouldn't worry at all about the state of the Houston legal market. Things are very strong down here and this won't change that whatsoever. Remember that most of our energy clients' major assets are not in Houston, and money sits in a bank account. The place will bounce back even stronger than before and would be a great place to start your career.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:37 pm

Any new offers?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:10 pm

Has anyone heard from V&E Houston? I am also in Houston so I wasn't expecting to hear anything this week really, but wondered if I was wrong.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard from V&E Houston? I am also in Houston so I wasn't expecting to hear anything this week really, but wondered if I was wrong.
When was your CB? Mine was the 23rd and I haven't heard back, but someone on that same day already got an offer, so I'm assuming mine's a ding.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any new offers?
Akin Gump Dallas offer yesterday afternoon from callback late last week.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard from V&E Houston? I am also in Houston so I wasn't expecting to hear anything this week really, but wondered if I was wrong.
When was your CB? Mine was the 23rd and I haven't heard back, but someone on that same day already got an offer, so I'm assuming mine's a ding.
Mine was the 24th -- I know the hiring committee met at some point that day. I know they hadn't made decisions on that day's CBs and weren't planning to before Harvey hit. Initial estimate for me hearing back was like early in the week and that clearly didn't happen.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”