2017 Texas OCI (UT/SMU/Baylor/UH + Others) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 2017 Texas OCI (UT/SMU/Baylor/UH + Others)

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:18 am

When people mention how you are first approved by a hiring manager, does that mean if you've passed that and get a CB you have a legitimate shot at getting an offer, or do firms still CB people who timately won't get approved by the hiring crew who makes final decisions?

Right2BearArms

Bronze

Post by Right2BearArms » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:When people mention how you are first approved by a hiring manager, does that mean if you've passed that and get a CB you have a legitimate shot at getting an offer, or do firms still CB people who timately won't get approved by the hiring crew who makes final decisions?
If you get a CB, you have a shot at a job. No firm is going to spend money on travel / meals / having attorneys take time out of their day on someone with no shot.

That said, the CB is the deciding factor. A great screener or resume is not going to save an awful interview.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:05 pm

^^ right. Think of them as two completely different steps that you have to go through. Sometimes things can bleed over, but unlikely. Will need to do well enough in CB stage to get the O

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:06 pm

Sorry if this has already been discussed but does anyone know how long it takes for VE Houston to get back after a CB?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:20 pm

Anyone have an average time for Kirkland Houston from CB to offer?

Had a CB on Friday and OCI starts next week. I'm hoping an offer (if its coming at all) comes early in the week so I can cancel most of my OCI screeners (at any firm I would choose KE over) to save me a lot of time and energy.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lawyer54321

New

Post by Lawyer54321 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:20 pm

Just to recap for SMU kids

Known Firms to have given some CBs: TK, JD, HB, Akin, VE, NRF, BB, Polsinelli, Holland & Knight, K&L, Gardere, Hunton and Williams, Winston, and McDermott has sent out dings so probably has sent out CBs?

Please tag this thread to add any more knowns. I don't think Houston has responded yet because those interviews were Friday morning.

Has anyone heard from the below market shops like Kelly Hart, Dorsey, or Fox or firms like Alston and Andrews Kurth?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Sorry if this has already been discussed but does anyone know how long it takes for VE Houston to get back after a CB?
Depends on when you do your callback (what day of the week). I'd say anywhere from a day to a week in a half. Occasionally could be longer but that would be unusual.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:09 am

Any CBS from Friday interviews?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:53 pm

UT -- Dallas CBs from Alston, Andrews Kurth, Dorsey

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Poldy

Silver

Post by Poldy » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have an average time for Kirkland Houston from CB to offer?

Had a CB on Friday and OCI starts next week. I'm hoping an offer (if its coming at all) comes early in the week so I can cancel most of my OCI screeners (at any firm I would choose KE over) to save me a lot of time and energy.
Last year they went out the night of the CB or the next morning but idk for pre-oci interviews.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:19 pm

Jackson Walker Dallas CB

Lawyer54321

New

Post by Lawyer54321 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:37 pm

Updated the List Below:

[quote="Lawyer54321"]Just to recap for SMU kids

Known Firms to have given some CBs: TK, JD, HB, Akin, VE, NRF, BB, Polsinelli, Holland & Knight, K&L, Gardere, Hunton and Williams, Winston, and McDermott has sent out dings so probably has sent out CBs? Alston, Andrews Kurth, JW

Please tag this thread to add any more knowns. I don't think Houston has responded yet because those interviews were Friday morning.

Has anyone heard from the below market shops like Kelly Hart, Dorsey, or Fox?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:40 pm

Lawyer54321 wrote:Updated the List Below:
Lawyer54321 wrote:Just to recap for SMU kids

Known Firms to have given some CBs: TK, JD, HB, Akin, VE, NRF, BB, Polsinelli, Holland & Knight, K&L, Gardere, Hunton and Williams, Winston, and McDermott has sent out dings so probably has sent out CBs? Alston, Andrews Kurth, JW

Has anyone heard from the below market shops like Kelly Hart, Dorsey, or Fox?
Sidley Dallas and Weil Dallas have as well

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have an average time for Kirkland Houston from CB to offer?

Just finished a Kirkland CB. Was told that offers would go out "early next week." So, I guess the timeline is roughly 7-10 days?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Just finished a Kirkland CB. Was told that offers would go out "early next week." So, I guess the timeline is roughly 7-10 days?
Awesome, thanks! They didn't really give me a timeline on Friday. I know last year was much faster (as someone else said, a day or two tops). I guess this year, since they're already much bigger than last year, they are recruiting more people and thus interviewing more people, making it a longer process? Who knows.

Good luck!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Awesome, thanks! They didn't really give me a timeline on Friday. I know last year was much faster (as someone else said, a day or two tops). I guess this year, since they're already much bigger than last year, they are recruiting more people and thus interviewing more people, making it a longer process? Who knows.

Good luck!
Probably making offers more slowly than last year. KE ended up with a class about 50% bigger than they wanted/needed last year due to more people accepting than they anticipated. My guess is that they are trying not to replicate that this year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:07 pm

Gibson Dunn callback. I'm at UT.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:30 pm

Do you mind me asking what school. Could this happen to an SMU kid or do they just keep farming better schools?
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is that pretty standard?
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Also interested about waves. So does not hearing from one of the above firms mean no CB?
My firm - which is one of the big Texas firms - does not give callbacks in waves. We decide on who gets a callback the evening of the interview which then needs to be approved by the hiring partner. We then send the invites out. We never go back and give more callbacks based on how many people accept their callback invite, etc.
IME no. I got a callback from BB two weeks after my screener which I know meant I was a second choice but a CB is a CB. Maybe this is VE policy though?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:30 pm

UH. Callbacks at Kirkland (Pre-OCI), Akin Gump, and V&E so far.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Gibson Dunn callback. I'm at UT.
which office?

Lawnghorn_2018

New

Post by Lawnghorn_2018 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:09 pm

Any 3Ls receive a CB from Quinn Emanuel?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:50 pm

Anyone at any school have a CB at Baker Botts or Sidley Houston yet? I have these upcoming and wanted to get some inside info or tips before going.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Gibson Dunn callback. I'm at UT.
which office?
Houston.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:34 pm

I did a CB with BB Houston. Nothing too different from other firms but I did note they are very proud of their conservative/quiet culture, the roots in the community, and the concept of the firm as institution with long relationships with certain clients. Some partners asked tougher questions about the energy industry but that was based on my expressing interest and them wanting to test me a little. Very similar to my other CBs.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Good luck!
OP here. Kirkland Houston callback on Friday, offer today.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”