On track to bill under 600 hours Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
kartelite

Bronze

Re: On track to bill under 600 hours

Post by kartelite » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:27 pm

Why aren't you out hustling to bring in business? Take some initiative, man. Before law school I was a manager at a consulting firm and if it ever looked like we might need some work flow I would be reaching out, grabbing lunch with contacts who could lead to engagements or at least good leads. If nothing else I would work on white papers for marketing. You sound like a little kid who tells their mommy he's hungry when there's peanut butter and jelly in the fridge and bread on the shelf. Man up and bring in some business.

Vincent Adultman

Silver

Post by Vincent Adultman » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:31 pm

kartelite wrote:Why aren't you out hustling to bring in business? Take some initiative, man. Before law school I was a manager at a consulting firm and if it ever looked like we might need some work flow I would be reaching out, grabbing lunch with contacts who could lead to engagements or at least good leads. If nothing else I would work on white papers for marketing. You sound like a little kid who tells their mommy he's hungry when there's peanut butter and jelly in the fridge and bread on the shelf. Man up and bring in some business.
Lol. Sounds like you have no idea what you're talking about.

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:34 pm

kartelite wrote:Why aren't you out hustling to bring in business? Take some initiative, man. Before law school I was a manager at a consulting firm and if it ever looked like we might need some work flow I would be reaching out, grabbing lunch with contacts who could lead to engagements or at least good leads. If nothing else I would work on white papers for marketing. You sound like a little kid who tells their mommy he's hungry when there's peanut butter and jelly in the fridge and bread on the shelf. Man up and bring in some business.
Telling a first year to pull themselves up from the bootstraps to bring in business at a large corporate firm seems ridiculous.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:18 pm

OP here - why aren't you hustling to be less of a cunt? You've not practiced a day in your life, law student.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:27 pm

Why do you keep peanut butter in the fridge? Gross.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:12 am

you should totally bring up your ability to generate business in your interviews with law firms

it will definitely help you stand out from the crowd

talk about how you'll become a top rainmaker

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:Quick anecdote to echo the above. I was a mid level working for one of the top 3 partners at my law firm. I gave a simple assignment to first year. Take contract from deal x and turn it for deal y. Was literally a two page contract. All she had to do was fill in blanks of specific deal.

The associate sent her work directly to the partner and it was shit. She forgot an extremely obvious change (change state x to state y).

The partner called me into her office, told me the girls work was total shit, and we would never use her again. Word spread like wildfire from this and girl's name was mud. Partner never even talked to the girl about the contract and just had me fix it.

Management gave the talk about low hours and she eventually lateralled out as nobody would use her. The bottom line is if you are good, you will get work, and there's a reason you are being shut out. Do not underestimate bad first impressions.

Law firms don't fire anyone directly or talk about performance issues because lawyers are petrified of this confrontation. You get starved, you get the talk, you continue getting starved and you hopefully bounce before it ends. The cycle has clearly started with op and you gotta leave asap when that happens.
This is really sound. Ignore the troll idiots on this thread trying to tell you to go out and develop business, that's terrible advice. Sharpen the resume, get the interview game face ready, and think of some legitimate reasons and explanations for when employers ask why you're looking one year out of law school. That last part is probably going to be the hardest. If you're considering a relocation, start doing some homework on your target locations. Things will work out, don't dwell on your situation.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:50 pm

I'm also a first year that is suffering from low hours. Am looking around but want to switch practice groups because I think my particular practice group is overall not doing well (industry wide thing).

As a first year, my thoughts were networking and reaching out to some contacts, sending resumes through those contacts to those firms. For firms in which I don't have networking contacts, however, would TLS recommend either just sending a resume in or using the services of a recruiter? The issue is that since I want to switch practice groups, it would be difficult to ascertain which practice groups at a firm is in need to hire more people. Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.

elendinel

Silver

Post by elendinel » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:05 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kartelite

Bronze

Post by kartelite » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:20 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:

I don't know where you keep peanut butter, I'm not six years old any more.

But seriously, if Mark Cuban or Steve Jobs were a young associate with no work to do, do you think they would be moaning about it on a message board or at least making some effort to take their fate into their own hands?

jaekeem

New

Post by jaekeem » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:30 pm

kartelite wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:

But seriously, if Mark Cuban or Steve Jobs were a young associate with no work to do, do you think they would be moaning about it on a message board or at least making some effort to take their fate into their own hands?
because those are the proper analogues that big law associates should aspire to be; the steve jobs of the world.

:mrgreen:

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:31 pm

kartelite wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:

Banned. And fuck off.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:41 pm

That clown made my hide/foe list pretty quickly when I joined TLS three years ago. Looks like nothing much has changed :lol:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm also a first year that is suffering from low hours. Am looking around but want to switch practice groups because I think my particular practice group is overall not doing well (industry wide thing).

As a first year, my thoughts were networking and reaching out to some contacts, sending resumes through those contacts to those firms. For firms in which I don't have networking contacts, however, would TLS recommend either just sending a resume in or using the services of a recruiter? The issue is that since I want to switch practice groups, it would be difficult to ascertain which practice groups at a firm is in need to hire more people. Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.
You and the OP better use a recruiter and anyone else who can help you. The Corporate lateral market is pretty hott right now.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:16 pm

jaekeem wrote:
kartelite wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:

because those are the proper analogues that big law associates should aspire to be; the steve jobs of the world.

:mrgreen:
Lol, they'd never have gone to law school in the first place.

Raiden

Bronze

Post by Raiden » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:00 pm

cron1834 wrote:That clown made my hide/foe list pretty quickly when I joined TLS three years ago. Looks like nothing much has changed :lol:
the most you realize you've been using TLS since law school but still don't have anyone on your friends list...cries.

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:30 pm

You are either frozen out or there are going to be stealth layoffs very soon.

Start job hunting.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:28 pm

jarofsoup wrote:You are either frozen out or there are going to be stealth layoffs very soon.

Start job hunting.
The bolded isn't necessarily true, but your parting advice is still good.

DF still has the best post in this thread. There are all sorts of reasons that a first year would be slow in his first six months that have nothing to do with associate performance or firm health. But given that OP's job might be in trouble, it makes sense for OP to start exploring lateral opportunities. In the meantime, OP, don't give up on your current job.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:is this by any chance a magic circle firm, if yes, i think i may be able to provide u with some helpful advice
I'm a 1st year at a Magic Circle firm and on pace to bill ~1200 for the year. Any helpful advice?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:33 pm

OP here.

Haven't been fired or given the talk, or really anything negative, so that's nice. Hours have increased a bit, but still on track to finish absurdly low for the year. Also slightly reassuring that I'm getting staffed on deals with some senior partners.

However, still looking. Market is rough right now, haven't gotten a lot of play.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”