Northwestern v. Florida Tax LLM for biglaw Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
anon1717

New

Northwestern v. Florida Tax LLM for biglaw

Post by anon1717 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:40 pm

Hi all,

Recently accepted to both NW and FL for Tax LLM. Wondering if either gives me a realistic shot at biglaw after graduation or if Big4 accounting is the only realistic option. I finished top 1/3 at a T20 but internships weren't great, both were in-house. (I thought that's what I wanted to do after graduation but pivoted to tax in my 3L year). I'm fine with working in either Chicago or Miami after graduation. Would a Tax Court clerkship realistically improve my biglaw chances? Got a partial scholarship from NW so cost of attendance is roughly equal. Thanks in advance

Mickfromgm

Bronze

Re: Northwestern v. Florida Tax LLM for biglaw

Post by Mickfromgm » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:09 pm

With your credentials, with a tax LLM from those schools, you would have a very, very good chance of getting a BigLaw job. Heck, you should be able to get such a job in NYC without an LLM.

Are you sure that you really want to practice tax or T&E? Firms would specifically hire you for those practice groups once they see your tax LLM. You could ask for a different departmental assignment, but you wouldn't want to waste a year and tens of thousands of dollars (and lose your competitive advantage) if you are not going to end up using the specialized knowledge you gained.

anon1717

New

Post by anon1717 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:32 am

Thanks for the response. I found tax really interesting and would definitely be comfortable practicing exclusively in tax. I also want to use the year to build up my network, since I hadn't been positioning myself for a biglaw job through law school

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:41 am

I'm surprised that you didn't get into GULC or NYU. I would have said in the past this should definitely be Florida, but there's a lot of upheaval going on with the program right now. I had multiple friends who were set on doing Florida's tax LLM opt to go to NYU/GULC because of everything. Accordingly, I would recommend Northwestern if the cost is about equal. If Florida was significantly cheaper, I might advise otherwise. However, it's not.

If you ultimately choose Florida, I think you'll be okay. Students tend to do well. There's a very strong and loyal network in the Southeast. I'm just hesitant to recommend it right now with everything going on with the Tax program.

nealric

Post by nealric » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:46 am

I would sit out a year and try for NYU. It's really the only option to consider if you want biglaw.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mickfromgm

Bronze

Post by Mickfromgm » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:18 am

anon1717 wrote:Thanks for the response. I found tax really interesting and would definitely be comfortable practicing exclusively in tax. I also want to use the year to build up my network, since I hadn't been positioning myself for a biglaw job through law school
Excellent. Good luck, you have a bright future ahead of you for sure.

wiz

Diamond

Post by wiz » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:09 am

lavarman84 wrote:I'm surprised that you didn't get into GULC or NYU. I would have said in the past this should definitely be Florida, but there's a lot of upheaval going on with the program right now. I had multiple friends who were set on doing Florida's tax LLM opt to go to NYU/GULC because of everything. Accordingly, I would recommend Northwestern if the cost is about equal. If Florida was significantly cheaper, I might advise otherwise. However, it's not.

If you ultimately choose Florida, I think you'll be okay. Students tend to do well. There's a very strong and loyal network in the Southeast. I'm just hesitant to recommend it right now with everything going on with the Tax program.
What's going on with the Florida tax program?

wiz

Diamond

Post by wiz » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:11 am

Also agree with NYU or bust if you're deadset on biglaw and won't be happy with anything else.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:02 pm

wiz wrote:
lavarman84 wrote:I'm surprised that you didn't get into GULC or NYU. I would have said in the past this should definitely be Florida, but there's a lot of upheaval going on with the program right now. I had multiple friends who were set on doing Florida's tax LLM opt to go to NYU/GULC because of everything. Accordingly, I would recommend Northwestern if the cost is about equal. If Florida was significantly cheaper, I might advise otherwise. However, it's not.

What's going on with the Florida tax program?
The dean is pumping and dumping the school's us news numbers to land a better job. To accomplish this goal, she has been dismantling dedicated funding for the tax LLM and law review to redirect it toward scholarships for 1Ls.

See also.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BenjarvusGreenEllis

New

Post by BenjarvusGreenEllis » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:17 pm

I don't want to hijack, but I think this question could help OP and others.

If someone is going for biglaw from a tax LLM program, how relevant are 2L/3L grades? The advice I've read in other threads has been that it's hard to get biglaw unless you were qualified during law school. By implication does that mean your 1L grades are the only thing firms will look at?

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:54 pm

nealric wrote:I would sit out a year and try for NYU. It's really the only option to consider if you want biglaw.

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:57 pm

BenjarvusGreenEllis wrote:I don't want to hijack, but I think this question could help OP and others.

If someone is going for biglaw from a tax LLM program, how relevant are 2L/3L grades? The advice I've read in other threads has been that it's hard to get biglaw unless you were qualified during law school. By implication does that mean your 1L grades are the only thing firms will look at?
Yeah they look at them and heavily consider them along with llm grades.

That not qualified for biglaw in law school means won't be qualified for biglaw after llm is dumb advice. Half the NYu class every years gets biglaw or close to it and half get great experience at big 4 that they can use to get biglaw lateral or big 4 partner. Yet only like 10% of the NYu class had a chance at biglaw before coming in.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:17 pm

Johann wrote:
BenjarvusGreenEllis wrote:I don't want to hijack, but I think this question could help OP and others.

That not qualified for biglaw in law school means won't be qualified for biglaw after llm is dumb advice. Half the NYu class every years gets biglaw or close to it and half get great experience at big 4 that they can use to get biglaw lateral or big 4 partner. Yet only like 10% of the NYu class had a chance at biglaw before coming in.

That's interesting/encouraging, I haven't read that before. Thanks for your reply.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:15 am

[quote="Johann"][quote="BenjarvusGreenEllis"]I don't want to hijack, but I think this question could help OP and others.

If someone is going for biglaw from a tax LLM program, how relevant are 2L/3L grades? The advice I've read in other threads has been that it's hard to get biglaw unless you were qualified during law school. By implication does that mean your 1L grades are the only thing firms will look at?[/quote]

That not qualified for biglaw in law school means won't be qualified for biglaw after llm is dumb advice. Half the NYu class every years gets biglaw or close to it and half get great experience at big 4 that they can use to get biglaw lateral or big 4 partner. Yet only like 10% of the NYu class had a chance at biglaw before coming in.[/quote]

Half of NYU's Tax LLMs do not get biglaw. Although encouraging, it may be misleading. Heres NYU Tax LLMs statistics for hiring. Not even they claim half. They said 22-28% get big law depending on the year.

http://www.law.nyu.edu/sites/default/fi ... tics_0.pdf

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”