Honors Programs 2017-2018 (Non-DOJ) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Honors Programs 2017-2018 (Non-DOJ)

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:DOL people - does anyone have a sense of how many people make it from this finalist stage into an offer? From the intel I've gathered this "active consideration" email is a big wall to get over, but not everybody on this side will get an offer. Does anyone have any sense based on past years what our chances are?
To keep things in perspective, I'd say each of us (having not yet been dinged) has overcome a significant hurdle. Think of how many hundreds, if not thousands of law students must have applied for these ten (give or take) positions. I hope for the best but am thankful to have made it to this point.

Please continue to add to this forum with any additional insights you receive.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I’ve heard talk from DOL of a top 100 candidate cutoff but I don’t know if this is that
Oh jeez I hope this isn't that and our odds are better than 10%....

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:DOL people - does anyone have a sense of how many people make it from this finalist stage into an offer? From the intel I've gathered this "active consideration" email is a big wall to get over, but not everybody on this side will get an offer. Does anyone have any sense based on past years what our chances are?
To keep things in perspective, I'd say each of us (having not yet been dinged) has overcome a significant hurdle. Think of how many hundreds, if not thousands of law students must have applied for these ten (give or take) positions. I hope for the best but am thankful to have made it to this point.

Please continue to add to this forum with any additional insights you receive.
It's a nice thought but honestly it means little to me without an offer in the end. Getting to game 7 of the World Series don't mean much if you end up losing! But yes I will continue to provide any insights I come across.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So let's talk CFPB -- For those who applied, any thoughts on this 30 day hiring freeze which was announced this evening? How do you think the freeze may impact the Honors Attorneys Program and timing of offers, if any? Things are getting weird...
I think the CFPB is ****ed

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So let's talk CFPB -- For those who applied, any thoughts on this 30 day hiring freeze which was announced this evening? How do you think the freeze may impact the Honors Attorneys Program and timing of offers, if any? Things are getting weird...
Ditto... I don't think this bodes well. Although things may clear up a little once the courts rule on who will be the Interim Director. That may "un-freeze" things until Trump can confirm a new Director. It is all up in the air, for the time being.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Ditto... I don't think this bodes well. Although things may clear up a little once the courts rule on who will be the Interim Director. That may "un-freeze" things until Trump can confirm a new Director. It is all up in the air, for the time being.
Scratch that, they're ****ed! The judge declined the requested restraining order to stop Mulvaney from taking on the position. Looks like the freeze is here to stay. English can appeal but it doesn't look good.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:Received an offer last week. Can't specify more, but is with an agency that has been discussed a few times in this thread.
Not sure if this is my answer, but has anyone heard back from NSA yet? I think they're supposed to drop this week.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Received an offer last week. Can't specify more, but is with an agency that has been discussed a few times in this thread.
Not sure if this is my answer, but has anyone heard back from NSA yet? I think they're supposed to drop this week.
one of my friends got an NSA offer 2 weeks ago

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Scratch that, they're ****ed! The judge declined the requested restraining order to stop Mulvaney from taking on the position. Looks like the freeze is here to stay. English can appeal but it doesn't look good.
The structural change of the CFPB is definitely inevitable. Especially when one considers PHH, politics ect. While I do not foresee the CFPB going anywhere anytime soon, I definitely foresee some change. I am wondering what impact this will have on the Honors Attorney program? I interviewed with the Bureau in early November and then a few days later I was asked for a legal writing sample (which I hope is a good sign). I have not heard anything else since then. I was under the impression that offers would be made the week before or after "Thanksgiving" but these new developments.... wow....

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:18 pm

Anyone receive an offer or anything from the OCC yet?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I’ve heard talk from DOL of a top 100 candidate cutoff but I don’t know if this is that
This posts suggests there are 50 finalists: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&start=75. I have no idea how true that is.

(Also received the "active consideration" email.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
This posts suggests there are 50 finalists: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&start=75. I have no idea how true that is.

1/5 is better but still not as good as I'd like....

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone receive an offer or anything from the OCC yet?
I have heard absolutely nothing from the OCC which I find to be quite weird. I am wondering if first round of offers have gone out and depending on how many accept or decline, will determine if they send out a second round? I have heard that this is one of the smallest honors classes --something like 5 offers. Not sure how true it is.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Based on past years it looks like it could be January until we find out - although my interviewers told me they would do their best to get it all done before the end of the year. Either way it's best to sit tight and try to be positive.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Based on past years it looks like it could be January until we find out - although my interviewers told me they would do their best to get it all done before the end of the year. Either way it's best to sit tight and try to be positive.
So is the consensus that, if you did not get the active consideration email, you probably did not make the cut?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

So is the consensus that, if you did not get the active consideration email, you probably did not make the cut?
I don't know for sure, but it does seem that way. Based on past years everyone who got an offer received an active consideration email. That being said, they didn't all come out at the same time so you may still get one.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:41 pm

Anyone know if EPA OGC is doing their Honors Program this year?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:01 pm

Unfortunately but not unexpectedly, EPA OGC is not hiring honors attorneys this year. I found out in response to an emailed application a few weeks back.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:53 pm

Can DOL finalists post their stats?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone receive an offer or anything from the OCC yet?
I can confirm that OCC has made offers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote: The structural change of the CFPB is definitely inevitable. Especially when one considers PHH, politics ect. While I do not foresee the CFPB going anywhere anytime soon, I definitely foresee some change. I am wondering what impact this will have on the Honors Attorney program? I interviewed with the Bureau in early November and then a few days later I was asked for a legal writing sample (which I hope is a good sign). I have not heard anything else since then. I was under the impression that offers would be made the week before or after "Thanksgiving" but these new developments.... wow....
Anyone have information/updates on the impact of the freeze? Curious also

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:03 pm

DOL: For those who have not received a "continued interest inquiry", have any of you recently been dinged? I have not received the inquiry and one of my classmates has. However, I have recently received an email response to my last resume update that essentially said it was appreciated and updates will be provided when available. My classmate had not reached out to the interviewer prior but has the "continued interest inquiry." All things considered, I am not sure how to take this response. I feel as though they would have told me if I was no longer under consideration, I know some folks have been dinged previously, but maybe that is naive of me. Could there be a different routine depending on if you're under consideration for a regional office as opposed to the national one (had expressed a strong interest in litigation in the OCI)? Can anyone shed some light on the circumstance?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:DOL: For those who have not received a "continued interest inquiry", have any of you recently been dinged? I have not received the inquiry and one of my classmates has. However, I have recently received an email response to my last resume update that essentially said it was appreciated and updates will be provided when available. My classmate had not reached out to the interviewer prior but has the "continued interest inquiry." All things considered, I am not sure how to take this response. I feel as though they would have told me if I was no longer under consideration, I know some folks have been dinged previously, but maybe that is naive of me. Could there be a different routine depending on if you're under consideration for a regional office as opposed to the national one (had expressed a strong interest in litigation in the OCI)? Can anyone shed some light on the circumstance?
That’s what I was wondering. I did not receive the continued interest email either, but I have yet to be dinged.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:DOL: For those who have not received a "continued interest inquiry", have any of you recently been dinged? I have not received the inquiry and one of my classmates has. However, I have recently received an email response to my last resume update that essentially said it was appreciated and updates will be provided when available. My classmate had not reached out to the interviewer prior but has the "continued interest inquiry." All things considered, I am not sure how to take this response. I feel as though they would have told me if I was no longer under consideration, I know some folks have been dinged previously, but maybe that is naive of me. Could there be a different routine depending on if you're under consideration for a regional office as opposed to the national one (had expressed a strong interest in litigation in the OCI)? Can anyone shed some light on the circumstance?
That’s what I was wondering. I did not receive the continued interest email either, but I have yet to be dinged.
Based on past threads it seems impossible to get an offer without being named a finalist, and given the fact that offers typically come out in mid-December to January it seems unlikely they'll be naming any more finalists, or if they do that they'll name very many at this stage. But this is all just speculation so feel free to ignore me.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Based on past threads it seems impossible to get an offer without being named a finalist, and given the fact that offers typically come out in mid-December to January it seems unlikely they'll be naming any more finalists, or if they do that they'll name very many at this stage. But this is all just speculation so feel free to ignore me.
Have they told anyone they're a finalist? I thought they only inquired about continued interest and to rank the offices.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”