Honors Programs 2017-2018 (Non-DOJ) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Honors Programs 2017-2018 (Non-DOJ)

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:41 pm

Last year’s DHS calls went out late September, early October. So fingers crossed for this week

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:15 am

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:01 pm

I interviewed with DOL-HP. Was pre-screened for OCI. Decision for national office will be made in January, at the earliest. Likely before the national office decisions, regional offices will be calling back candidates for secondary interviews with their individual office. Excited and anxious to see what the coming months have in-store for me.

Good luck to all.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I interviewed with DOL-HP. Was pre-screened for OCI. Decision for national office will be made in January, at the earliest. Likely before the national office decisions, regional offices will be calling back candidates for secondary interviews with their individual office. Excited and anxious to see what the coming months have in-store for me.

Good luck to all.
Is it too late to apply then? I know the app deadline is coming up, but I just submitted my app today for DOL. I know you're not the recruiter, but did you get the vibe that they may still be reviewing incoming applications? I applied to HQ and regional office.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:56 pm

Occ post screener ding

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I interviewed with DOL-HP. Was pre-screened for OCI. Decision for national office will be made in January, at the earliest. Likely before the national office decisions, regional offices will be calling back candidates for secondary interviews with their individual office. Excited and anxious to see what the coming months have in-store for me.

Good luck to all.
Is it too late to apply then? I know the app deadline is coming up, but I just submitted my app today for DOL. I know you're not the recruiter, but did you get the vibe that they may still be reviewing incoming applications? I applied to HQ and regional office.
At least in past years, the OCI screeners and screeners for apps sent directly to HQs were on a different timeline. They only do OCI at a small group of schools, usually earlier than they do the interviews for people at schools where they don't do OCI (or clerking or the like). They do phone interviews for the latter. As long as the applications hasn't passed your app will be looked at.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Good luck to all.
At least in past years, the OCI screeners and screeners for apps sent directly to HQs were on a different timeline. They only do OCI at a small group of schools, usually earlier than they do the interviews for people at schools where they don't do OCI (or clerking or the like). They do phone interviews for the latter. As long as the applications hasn't passed your app will be looked at.
I have it on good authority that the process for OCI and non-OCI hiring is de facto separate, so that even if you don't get an interview through your school, it still makes sense to apply through the regular process, since that is run by different people. I

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:52 pm

Was anyone informed which of the DOL regional offices would be hiring?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:57 pm

I previously posted about having already interview via OCI.

I do not know if it is too late to apply. Originally, we did not have an OCI. I was notified that my school would be hosting one, early September. Career services said that I did not need to reapply under OCI, since I had applied back in July. However, I thought it best to send my items through for a second look since I had not heard anything and the OCI application deadline was the following day. I sent my items in and was accepted through pre-screening the following evening. Initially, I assumed that my OCI application was the one that got me through the prescreening. However, the screener noted my preferred location (Only mentioned in the original CL and not the OCI one because I later saw a posting that excluded my preferred office from those hiring). I have no idea why they switched to OCI at the last minute. I even asked my professor and they had no clue/could only speculate.

Regional offices hiring (As informed by screener): Dallas, Kansas City, and Boston.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Tiger2Eagle

New

Post by Tiger2Eagle » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:Occ post screener ding
When did you interview and how were you notified?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:59 am

Anyone looking at FCC? I applied early August and got an email Sept. 30 letting me know my application was received. If anyone gets an interview, please update.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:21 am

Tiger2Eagle wrote:
September OCI. Was notified by mail.

Tiger2Eagle

New

Post by Tiger2Eagle » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tiger2Eagle wrote:
September OCI. Was notified by mail.
Thank you for the followup!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:55 pm

Email from IRS saying thanks and "application received".

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Email from IRS saying thanks and "application received".
I applied through my school's simplicity and did not get such an email. Should I be worried?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I applied through my school's simplicity and did not get such an email. Should I be worried?
When did y'all apply? I applied toward the end of August and received the email roughly 2-weeks later. I directly emailed my materials, however.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
When did y'all apply? I applied toward the end of August and received the email roughly 2-weeks later. I directly emailed my materials, however.
I applied towards the end of last week

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I applied aroune the beginning of September and emailed directly. Their email was a reply to mine and not a mass one so it seems like they are doing it one at a time.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:SEC Anyone?? Radio silence since last month.
Was SEC Honors Program even posted this year? Never got the alert on USA Jobs, but maybe it was posted under a different job title??
Nope. The website has stated: "Continue to monitor our website for Chair's Attorney Honors opportunities" for months now. That being said, the Honors page was hidden (no linkage within the SEC website, only findable through google) up until 2-3 weeks ago. Hoping they post soon.

ETA: I've been told by SEC attorneys that there is a hiring freeze and to not expect it to post.
Thanks a lot for the update on this. Was wondering if something weird was going on or if I missed it. At least a SEC hiring freeze means I wasn't totally in the dark. Appreciate it!

Anonymous User

DOL

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have it on good authority that the process for OCI and non-OCI hiring is de facto separate, so that even if you don't get an interview through your school, it still makes sense to apply through the regular process, since that is run by different people. I
The attorneys that screen and interview candidates may review OCI candidates, internet applications, or both. If an attorney realizes that an internet applicant they're interested in interviewing attends an OCI school, they may reach out to the OCI interviewer to see if they have already reviewed that applicant's resume (some OCI schools self-screen applicants out, others leave screening to the employer) and/or interviewed the candidate. There is only one Hiring Committee that makes the final decisions on both OCI and internet candidates that the interviewers have recommended.

Tiger2Eagle

New

Re: DOL

Post by Tiger2Eagle » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have it on good authority that the process for OCI and non-OCI hiring is de facto separate, so that even if you don't get an interview through your school, it still makes sense to apply through the regular process, since that is run by different people. I
The attorneys that screen and interview candidates may review OCI candidates, internet applications, or both. If an attorney realizes that an internet applicant they're interested in interviewing attends an OCI school, they may reach out to the OCI interviewer to see if they have already reviewed that applicant's resume (some OCI schools self-screen applicants out, others leave screening to the employer) and/or interviewed the candidate. There is only one Hiring Committee that makes the final decisions on both OCI and internet candidates that the interviewers have recommended.
Can you state how exactly you are able to divulge this information?
Last edited by Tiger2Eagle on Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:28 am, edited 3 times in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:20 am

Where are you getting this info from? Any idea how many people they take from OCI vs. other means? Is the process similar to LS admissions in that it's on a rolling basis? What criteria does the committee use to differentiate candidates from working at HQ, regional offices, or to receive yee ole ding?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:DHS anyone?
Bump. Any DHS movement?
Nothing here... they said interviews mid October on the site right? Hopefully this week.

Unless we receive an 11th hour email today, I guess we have to wait until after the holiday weekend to resume compulsively checking for emails from DHS. I expect all of their attorneys are deep in over their heads right now and have generally delayed examining applicants.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:35 am

Has anybody heard from the US Army Corps of Engineer post-interview yet?

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:38 am

Why in the world would an agency have two separate OCI and non-OCI tracks?

Regardless of whether you participate in OCI, you should always apply directly, too. Earlier the better.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”