Honors Programs 2017-2018 (Non-DOJ) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Honors Programs 2017-2018 (Non-DOJ)

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:37 am

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:59 am

Any updates on DOL? Does anybody know the timeline, how many rounds, etc.?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:Any updates on DOL? Does anybody know the timeline, how many rounds, etc.?
I applied directly (I'm out of law school) and I believe there's only one round (phone interview), they were planning to do interviews through November, and hoping to make offers before the end of 2017.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any updates on DOL? Does anybody know the timeline, how many rounds, etc.?
I applied directly (I'm out of law school) and I believe there's only one round (phone interview), they were planning to do interviews through November, and hoping to make offers before the end of 2017.
Ok thanks!

TEIAM

Bronze

Post by TEIAM » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Ok thanks!
One phone interview and they give you $70,000 a year? Government hiring is so strange.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:49 pm

TEIAM wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Ok thanks!
One phone interview and they give you $70,000 a year? Government hiring is so strange.
They're also doing OCI. I interviewed in late September. I was told that there is only a single round for the national office. This is either a phone interview or in person (usually OCI). I believe you are then sent to a hiring committee based on the impressions of your interviewer. Although, some people were dinged right after interviews. The interviewer told me that regional offices will be doing their own second round. I assume this is with those that are interested in litigation over policy and who they feel fits best with their office. I was told not to expect an answer until January, at the earliest. The interviewer told me that they did not get an offer until the summer after due to it being a transition year. This is not, so they hope to gave things wrapped up far sooner. I was also told that they don't have a set number of hires but plan to hire no more than 10 or so in total.

IDK where you are getting this $70K number. The posting for OCI said that the Honor's Program is a 2 year commitment with a salary of $60K/year (Doesn't the DOL-SOL HP website say this as well?). You then bump up the general schedule when you graduate from the program and are placed in an office.

TEIAM

Bronze

Post by TEIAM » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
TEIAM wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Ok thanks!
They're also doing OCI. I interviewed in late September. I was told that there is only a single round for the national office. This is either a phone interview or in person (usually OCI). I believe you are then sent to a hiring committee based on the impressions of your interviewer. Although, some people were dinged right after interviews. The interviewer told me that regional offices will be doing their own second round. I assume this is with those that are interested in litigation over policy and who they feel fits best with their office. I was told not to expect an answer until January, at the earliest. The interviewer told me that they did not get an offer until the summer after due to it being a transition year. This is not, so they hope to gave things wrapped up far sooner. I was also told that they don't have a set number of hires but plan to hire no more than 10 or so in total.

IDK where you are getting this $70K number. The posting for OCI said that the Honor's Program is a 2 year commitment with a salary of $60K/year (Doesn't the DOL-SOL HP website say this as well?). You then bump up the general schedule when you graduate from the program and are placed in an office.
My apologies for not being clear but I was not questioning whether you were right or not. I was being glib. It's just interesting to me that many departments within the federal government spend so little time meeting with candidates. In the private sector there are typically multiple rounds of interviews with several different people.

And for $70,000 I just assumed DOL was on the GS scale. In DC, GS-11, Step 1 will be $67,000 next year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:19 pm

TEIAM wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
TEIAM wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Ok thanks!

My apologies for not being clear but I was not questioning whether you were right or not. I was being glib. It's just interesting to me that many departments within the federal government spend so little time meeting with candidates. In the private sector there are typically multiple rounds of interviews with several different people.

And for $70,000 I just assumed DOL was on the GS scale. In DC, GS-11, Step 1 will be $67,000 next year.
My best guess: The hiring process is incredibly expensive. This is something large firms are much more willing to devote resources to while the government is more conservative (concededly ironic terminology) of devoting resources towards it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:06 pm

You stated that you were told "not to expect an answer until January, at the earliest." Does that apply to both the national and regional offices, or just the regional offices?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:You stated that you were told "not to expect an answer until January, at the earliest." Does that apply to both the national and regional offices, or just the regional offices?
Both the national and regional offices.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:58 pm

Did anyone end up hearing from the OCC today?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:Did anyone end up hearing from the OCC today?
I did not, unfortunately. Anyone?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:58 am

Any movement on DOL HQ or regional? Was told that recommendations would be sent to hiring committee soon.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:19 pm

Anyone heard anything from the FCC? It's weird, looking back over previous years' threads, it seems like people rarely, if ever, have news to share from them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:40 pm

I have yet to hear of one offer from any honors program yet. Any updates at all?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:33 pm

^ bump also any update from SEC?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:^ bump also any update from SEC?
I've accepted an offer from a regional office.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:35 pm

SEC is not participating in the honors program this year, or at least not yet. https://www.sec.gov/ohr/chairs-attorney-honors-program

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
SEC is not participating in the honors program this year, or at least not yet. https://www.sec.gov/ohr/chairs-attorney-honors-program
I think anon is referring to field externship honors program

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anon from above, I might be in the wrong thread but I was referring to the Summer honors program.. I heard rumors of a hiring freeze but I wasn't sure

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anon from above, I might be in the wrong thread but I was referring to the Summer honors program.. I heard rumors of a hiring freeze but I wasn't sure
Generally speaking, I think this thread is geared more towards post-graduate positions. Thus, summer programs may not be best placed in this forum.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Generally speaking, I think this thread is geared more towards post-graduate positions. Thus, summer programs may not be best placed in this forum.
yes this is the thread for the permanent Honors Attorney positions that aren't part of the DOJ program.

Anonymous User wrote:I have yet to hear of one offer from any honors program yet. Any updates at all?
Both of my interviews are scheduled for the next 2 weeks—don't think offers will be out until late Nov/early Dec

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Both of my interviews are scheduled for the next 2 weeks—don't think offers will be out until late Nov/early Dec
Field or HQ? Dept?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Both of my interviews are scheduled for the next 2 weeks—don't think offers will be out until late Nov/early Dec
Field or HQ? Dept?
Both HQ.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Field or HQ? Dept?
Both HQ.
Thanks. Mind sharing which departments?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”