Honors Programs 2017-2018 (Non-DOJ) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Honors Programs 2017-2018 (Non-DOJ)

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:35 am

A couple have started accepting apps. May the terrible, terrible odds be ever in your favor.

Hand

Gold

Re: Honors Programs 2017-2018 (Non-DOJ)

Post by Hand » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:53 am

Hi

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:18 am

globetrotter659

New

Post by globetrotter659 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:15 pm

Honors Attorney soon to enter my second year. Here to answer any and all questions about AHPs (DC based).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:36 pm

Hey anyone know if there is a minimum gpa for AHPs? Or a standard gpa to even be considered? :lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey anyone know if there is a minimum gpa for AHPs? Or a standard gpa to even be considered? :lol:
I think it varies by agency. I know DHS states that their cutoff is 3.5 or top third, for example, but I am sure some dip lower, and some require higher. In general though, my understanding is that grades are only part of the equation, and that they all consider applications fairly holistically.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hey anyone know if there is a minimum gpa for AHPs? Or a standard gpa to even be considered? :lol:
I think it varies by agency. I know DHS states that their cutoff is 3.5 or top third, for example, but I am sure some dip lower, and some require higher. In general though, my understanding is that grades are only part of the equation, and that they all consider applications fairly holistically.
Cool thanks!

Pass302

New

Post by Pass302 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:45 pm

Here we go! Let's see what this round bring us.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:17 am

Any Transactional related jobs? Or, are most lit based? Thank you

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

intlsplitr

Bronze

Post by intlsplitr » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:03 pm

Went through the application process last cycle and got an Honors job. Happy to answer questions!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:21 pm

intlsplitr wrote:Went through the application process last cycle and got an Honors job. Happy to answer questions!
What did you do 2L summer?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:Any Transactional related jobs? Or, are most lit based? Thank you
Current applicant, so correct me if I am wrong, but I think the majority of the work is neither - it's mostly advisory. DOJ is where most of the Federal Government lit happens. Some Gov offices do rotations through a lit group, but my understanding is that you are just supporting DOJ. I guess by transactional you mean contracts, and there are contract attorneys in the depts and agencies, and you might do some of that, depending on the program.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:18 pm

Which ones started accepting apps? I checked the 8 programs I know and none of them are accepting apps, but most posted about when they will begin accepting apps.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Which ones started accepting apps? I checked the 8 programs I know and none of them are accepting apps, but most posted about when they will begin accepting apps.
The ones with longer security clearance processes - I don't know of any non-IC programs that are currently accepting.

intlsplitr

Bronze

Post by intlsplitr » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
intlsplitr wrote:Went through the application process last cycle and got an Honors job. Happy to answer questions!
What did you do 2L summer?
I did big law in DC. The practice area I was working in had some tangential relationship to the Honors position, but not really.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:24 pm

DHS Honors had last years info up until early June, but now it just says "The application period is currently closed." Any reason to think that they won't be hiring this year, or is this just general slowness? I had noted last year's opening date as August 1st, so one would think they would post that info relatively soon if they are following the same timeline.

Also wondering if anyone has been invited to interview at NSA yet?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:13 pm

bump?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:bump?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Bump.

Just learned which agencies are coming to interview on campus at my school. I'll definitely be applying to the DOL, still on the fence about HUD and DOT, which seem much less interesting.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:29 pm

DOT has begun its hiring process: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... dot+honors
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Bump.

Just learned which agencies are coming to interview on campus at my school. I'll definitely be applying to the DOL, still on the fence about HUD and DOT, which seem much less interesting.
I have a biased perspective as a current DOT attorney, but you should definitely include them in your application. When I was in law school I had a similar sense that DOT was fairly uninteresting, but applied because I just applied to every federal agency. I ended up here and the work is far more diverse and interesting than I ever could have imagined. It's particularly difficult to get a sense of what agency work is like as a law student (unless you've done an internship at that agency).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:DOT has begun its hiring process: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... dot+honors
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Bump.

I have a biased perspective as a current DOT attorney, but you should definitely include them in your application. When I was in law school I had a similar sense that DOT was fairly uninteresting, but applied because I just applied to every federal agency. I ended up here and the work is far more diverse and interesting than I ever could have imagined. It's particularly difficult to get a sense of what agency work is like as a law student (unless you've done an internship at that agency).
Thanks, I'm gonna apply. I'm just refurbishing the same generic letter for all these gov't positions anyway, so it's low-cost.

Where are other folks ITT applying? So far I've applied to the DOL, HUD, and the CFPB, with the DOT next on my list.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:39 pm

I applied to DOJ, DOT (interview extended a week after applying), DOL, FDIC (rejected within three days), IRS, and the CFPB.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:DOT has begun its hiring process: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... dot+honors
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Bump.

Thanks, I'm gonna apply. I'm just refurbishing the same generic letter for all these gov't positions anyway, so it's low-cost.

Where are other folks ITT applying? So far I've applied to the DOL, HUD, and the CFPB, with the DOT next on my list.
How did you apply to HUD? I just checked and their application is not yet ready.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Bump.

How did you apply to HUD? I just checked and their application is not yet ready.
They were supposed to come interview us at my school (GULC) next Monday, but they decided not to do that and instead do a resume collect. Between their last-minute change in plans and the fact that no one has bothered to update the application on the website, I'm not super optimistic about anyone actually reading the applications that school will send their way, but at least my materials are supposed to reach them

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I applied to DOJ, DOT (interview extended a week after applying), DOL, FDIC (rejected within three days), IRS, and the CFPB.
thanks for sharing, please keep us posted if there's movement on your applications!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”