Honors Programs 2017-2018 (Non-DOJ) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Honors Programs 2017-2018 (Non-DOJ)

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:17 pm

Has anyone heard from DOT, yet?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:59 pm

I also got the continued interest letter from DOL, and they also asked me to identify and rank the offices I am interested in. The strange thing is they also asked me this question during the interview, so I'm pretty sure they didn't now send it out to only those people they failed to ask during the interview. They basically ask me to let them know if I would still be interested in a position with the honors program, and if so to rank the offices.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:17 pm

Has anyone heard from IRS headquarters? Curious if anything was going on there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:I also got the continued interest letter from DOL, and they also asked me to identify and rank the offices I am interested in. The strange thing is they also asked me this question during the interview, so I'm pretty sure they didn't now send it out to only those people they failed to ask during the interview. They basically ask me to let them know if I would still be interested in a position with the honors program, and if so to rank the offices.
I guess it's safe to assume that if we did not get this email then we're out. :? Either way, thanks for updating us and good luck with the rest of the process!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I also got the continued interest letter from DOL, and they also asked me to identify and rank the offices I am interested in. The strange thing is they also asked me this question during the interview, so I'm pretty sure they didn't now send it out to only those people they failed to ask during the interview. They basically ask me to let them know if I would still be interested in a position with the honors program, and if so to rank the offices.
I guess it's safe to assume that if we did not get this email then we're out. :? Either way, thanks for updating us and good luck with the rest of the process!
In a prior year these emails were spaced out over a few days, so I wouldn't lose hope just yet. But I'm wondering if anyone has a sense of how many people do end up getting this email? Does it mean that we've made it to the next round? I couldn't really tell from the email itself.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard from IRS headquarters? Curious if anything was going on there.
Heard from a field office but not HQ

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
In a prior year these emails were spaced out over a few days, so I wouldn't lose hope just yet. But I'm wondering if anyone has a sense of how many people do end up getting this email? Does it mean that we've made it to the next round? I couldn't really tell from the email itself.
Yup, I didn't get mine until 10 am today. Interviewed over the phone in September -- the email came from my interviewers, said I was under active consideration, and asked me to confirm that I still want to be considered and to rank the offices.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard from DOT, yet?
I've heard nothing from DOT yet (callback was 10/23). The DOT honors attorney told us during the group Q&A session that they were shooting for this week...

I also got a continued interest letter from DOL this morning, so hopefully that pans out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:05 pm

Congrats to the DOL folks who reieceved continued interest emails. Hopefully others waiting will hear something soon. Anyone heard from the CFPB? They haven't been mentioned much on this thread.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I've heard nothing from DOT yet (callback was 10/23). The DOT honors attorney told us during the group Q&A session that they were shooting for this week...

I also got a continued interest letter from DOL this morning, so hopefully that pans out.

I had a callback the week before yours, and have not heard anything either. I was under the impression we would hear back this week as well. The DOT forum has been pretty quiet.

Good luck with both DOT & DOL!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Congrats to the DOL folks who reieceved continued interest emails. Hopefully others waiting will hear something soon. Anyone heard from the CFPB? They haven't been mentioned much on this thread.
I had an in-person interview with the CFPB this month, and they said they won't make offers until after Thanksgiving/the end of the month-ish, at the earliest.

I'm also worried about what CFPB is going to be like post-Cordray. Even if Mulvaney doesn't end up becoming the director, it'll surely be someone else who's adamantly opposed to the agency's mission. And once there's a permanent appointment, that person will be there until 2022 or 2023.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:17 pm

People who received the DOL continued interest email, what do your stats look like?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:People who received the DOL continued interest email, what do your stats look like?
tier 2 law school, top 10%, mc, previous federal agency internship (different agency), current state appellate clerk. Good luck to everyone --there's nothing worse than this waiting game.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I had a callback the week before yours, and have not heard anything either. I was under the impression we would hear back this week as well. The DOT forum has been pretty quiet.

Good luck with both DOT & DOL!
I guess it will be after the Thanksgiving weekend for DOT unless someone has any word?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:People who received the DOL continued interest email, what do your stats look like?
Tier 2 law school, top 10%, mc, previous federal agency internship (different agency), current state appellate clerk. Good luck to everyone --there's nothing worse than this waiting game.
Did you all have phone interviews or did some of you do OCI? I had OCI, have not been dinged, but also haven't received any continued interest inquiry.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Tier 2 law school, top 10%, mc, previous federal agency internship (different agency), current state appellate clerk. Good luck to everyone --there's nothing worse than this waiting game.
Did you all have phone interviews or did some of you do OCI? I had OCI, have not been dinged, but also haven't received any continued interest inquiry.
Same. I did phone interview in October with regional and HQ and haven't heard anything since. No interest inquiry either.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Same. I did phone interview in October with regional and HQ and haven't heard anything since. No interest inquiry either.
I know you posted anon and thus I don't expect you to disclose too much information. Nonetheless, I am in the same boat (I posted the inquiry you replied to) and am curious if we had the same screener. Would you be willing to say what region your screener represents or what circuit your law school is in?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:30 pm

Just received an email from my screener in response to a resume update that I provided the other week. They do not currently have any updates. I guess my materials from OCI and ranked preference were sufficient and no "continued interest inquiry" was necessary. Sounds like we need not worry yet. i think this is going to be a long process. Good luck with finals, everyone.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:55 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:55 pm

Did anyone provide the DOL a list of references? I'm fairly certain the application did not require references. If so, have they been contacted? Has anyone heard of references being contacted for DOL?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Did anyone provide the DOL a list of references? I'm fairly certain the application did not require references. If so, have they been contacted? Has anyone heard of references being contacted for DOL?
(Just posted about receiving an email from my OCI screener)
I provided references during my OCI interview. I was not asked for them but came with additional writing sample, copies of materials already provided, and references. I offered the screener the list of references before we parted ways. The screener also asked me to rate my preference regarding office locations (national and regional openings). I was never contacted to ask for additional materials nor have I heard from my references that they were contacted, although that does not affirmatively mean that none were.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I know you posted anon and thus I don't expect you to disclose too much information. Nonetheless, I am in the same boat (I posted the inquiry you replied to) and am curious if we had the same screener. Would you be willing to say what region your screener represents or what circuit your law school is in?
Not sure if you're asking me, but I'm the one who said that I havent gotten a continued interest inquiry. I had interview in Southwest and HQ. My law school is in the south east.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:06 pm

So let's talk CFPB -- For those who applied, any thoughts on this 30 day hiring freeze which was announced this evening? How do you think the freeze may impact the Honors Attorneys Program and timing of offers, if any? Things are getting weird...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:35 pm

DOL people - does anyone have a sense of how many people make it from this finalist stage into an offer? From the intel I've gathered this "active consideration" email is a big wall to get over, but not everybody on this side will get an offer. Does anyone have any sense based on past years what our chances are?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:37 pm

I’ve heard talk from DOL of a top 100 candidate cutoff but I don’t know if this is that

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”