DOJ Honors Program 2017-18 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
The-Specs

Silver

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2017-18

Post by The-Specs » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If by section you mean ENRD, you do bid for specific sections (components) and you get interviewed by specific sections. You list the 3 components you want to be considered by, and they each decide whether they want to interview you. So you don't get interviewed by generic DOJ, you get interviewed by ENRD (if you lost ENRD as one of your components and they want to consider you further). And you will know who you're interviewing with before you have the interview. (That is, which component.)

Allegedly some components will only interview people who list them as their first choice (I have heard this about crim I think?). But I was ultimately hired by the component I listed third. Also got interviews with my first choice but was not hired by them.

(If you apply to EOIR and are interviewed by OCIJ for an immigration law clerkship, you will be given a list of possible locations to rank and then get offered one at OCIJ's discretion. But that's different from the overall program.)
Thanks for your reply. Sorry, I should have been clearer. By section, I do not mean components, I mean the traditional designations. DOJ is what I would call a department, ENRD is what I would call a division (like the Criminal Division, Civil Division, and Environmental and Natural Resource Division). By section I mean, Environmental Defense Section, Environmental Crimes, Environmental Enforcement Section, etc.

So, what I was getting at is that in, for example, the civil division, you bid the component but you then indicate which sections you are interested in (Civil Appeals, Federal Programs Branch, Immigration, etc.) and are hired into one of those specific sections when the offer is made (at least that is my understanding). But that is not the case for ENRD. You just apply to the division (or component if you like). It is only after you accept an offer from the division section hiring is determined.

I was just wondering about that post-offer, section-selection process. Hope that makes more sense.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:10 pm

Ah, gotcha, sorry not to understand that, I probably wasn't paying enough attention.

I've always assumed that if the specific section doesn't make the hire, you have possibility of moving around (i.e. the division isn't siloed off in the way that Civil is). But I can't swear to this - it comes to mind because I know others honors programs purposely rotate their hires round different sections to give them exposure to a variety of stuff, but don't know that ENRD does this.

But I think it's totally fair to ask this of interviewers if you get an interview, and you'd get an answer before you have to accept.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:12 am

Bump. Still haven't started my application. The fact that Sessions hasn't been fired yet does not help when looking for motivation.

grixxlybear99

Bronze

Post by grixxlybear99 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Bump. Still haven't started my application. The fact that Sessions hasn't been fired yet does not help when looking for motivation.
Dumb

charmonster

New

Post by charmonster » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:46 pm

grixxlybear99 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Bump. Still haven't started my application. The fact that Sessions hasn't been fired yet does not help when looking for motivation.
Dumb
Nice post history, bro. I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess you and OP disagree about most of this DOJ's enforcement priorities, so I don't really understand why you feel entitled to judge their ambivalence about the current admin.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

grixxlybear99

Bronze

Post by grixxlybear99 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:17 pm

charmonster wrote:
grixxlybear99 wrote:
Dumb
Nice post history, bro. I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess you and OP disagree about most of this DOJ's enforcement priorities, so I don't really understand why you feel entitled to judge their ambivalence about the current admin.
If you or op don't want to apply to DOJ bc you don't like Jeff sessions, then don't. No one is going to force you to apply

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:28 pm

grixxlybear99 wrote:
charmonster wrote:
grixxlybear99 wrote:
Dumb
If you or op don't want to apply to DOJ bc you don't like Jeff sessions, then don't. No one is going to force you to apply
Good thing no one is claiming that, then.

grixxlybear99

Bronze

Post by grixxlybear99 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:32 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
grixxlybear99 wrote:
charmonster wrote:
grixxlybear99 wrote:
Dumb
Oh yeah? Tell me then, what are they claiming

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:58 pm

grixxlybear99 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
grixxlybear99 wrote:
charmonster wrote:
grixxlybear99 wrote:
Dumb
Oh yeah? Tell me then, what are they claiming
Come on, stop being an ass.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jess

Post by jess » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:10 am

Last edited by jess on Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:58 pm

Still finishing these damn essays.

Every time I log on to Avue I wonder why something so terrible is allowed to exist.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:45 am

Does anyone have an idea of what date we will find out if we are selected for an interview?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have an idea of what date we will find out if we are selected for an interview?
Looks like, last year, interview selections began creeping out on 9/22, despite a scheduled release of 9/28.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&start=75

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:41 am

Keep an eye on the forum/discussion thing on the avue site - the woman who administers this is usually great about giving updates and will give a heads up as to when interview notifications will go out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Keep an eye on the forum/discussion thing on the avue site - the woman who administers this is usually great about giving updates and will give a heads up as to when interview notifications will go out.
It was just posted that the interview selections should be out by 9/28.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Keep an eye on the forum/discussion thing on the avue site - the woman who administers this is usually great about giving updates and will give a heads up as to when interview notifications will go out.
It was just posted that the interview selections should be out by 9/28.
Oh good something to get anxious about. Not holding my breath though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:09 pm

Did anybody else have a SLIP offer (from last year or the year before) that never showed up in the "selected by" section? I ask because i'm applying to HP this year and I'm skeptical how well these "selected by" entries/codes work. I was a SLIP Intern last summer and to this day, there is no component codes or any entries whatsoever under the "selected by" column

I only got my "status" updated to: Offer Accepted
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Did anybody else have a SLIP offer (from last year or the year before) that never showed up in the "selected by" section? I ask because i'm applying to HP this year and I'm skeptical how well these "selected by" entries/codes work. I was a SLIP Intern for FedP last summer and to this day, there is no component codes or any entries whatsoever under the "selected by" column

I'm not in this situation, but: SLIP components don't all follow the same interviewing protocol the way that DOJ honors components do, and in particular, SLIP doesn't always bring people in for interviews. Honors always brings people in for interviews. So it wouldn't surprise me that SLIP doesn't bother with the same interim notifications that Honors uses.

Mind you, they changed the technology last year and I think there were some glitches. But honors will always tell you 1) you have an interview and then like a day later 2) who is interviewing you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Did anybody else have a SLIP offer (from last year or the year before) that never showed up in the "selected by" section? I ask because i'm applying to HP this year and I'm skeptical how well these "selected by" entries/codes work. I was a SLIP Intern for FedP last summer and to this day, there is no component codes or any entries whatsoever under the "selected by" column

I'm not in this situation, but: SLIP components don't all follow the same interviewing protocol the way that DOJ honors components do, and in particular, SLIP doesn't always bring people in for interviews. Honors always brings people in for interviews. So it wouldn't surprise me that SLIP doesn't bother with the same interim notifications that Honors uses.

Mind you, they changed the technology last year and I think there were some glitches. But honors will always tell you 1) you have an interview and then like a day later 2) who is interviewing you.
This makes sense! Thanks! I didn't get brought in for an interview for SLIP, just a phone interview.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:18 am

so are we thinking "by september 28th" means the 27th?

greatdane14

New

Post by greatdane14 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:so are we thinking "by september 28th" means the 27th?
I was thinking "by Sept. 28th" meant ANY time this week and likely earlier than the 28th since component codes showed up by the 22nd last year. I've been checking my application like crazy for 3 days.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:37 am

greatdane14 wrote:
I was thinking "by Sept. 28th" meant ANY time this week and likely earlier than the 28th since component codes showed up by the 22nd last year. I've been checking my application like crazy for 3 days.
same even though I probably have like a 0.04% chance of getting an interview. Status checkers are the devil.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:04 am

greatdane14 wrote:
If you look at the community section on the application for last year the component codes that came before the 28th were not official they were testing it because there was a message saying not to go by that until the 28th so I think they aren't going to come out until tomorrow but that has not stopped me from refreshing the application status page a million times this week!

That being said if anyone gets a change please post it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:22 pm

codes are up!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:34 pm

I have tax-crim showing. I imagine more codes might roll in over the next 24 hours, right? Looking at last year’s thread, it seems like they didn’t all post at once.

Anyone have other codes showing? Crim or USAOs?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”