DOJ Honors Program 2017-18 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2017-18

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Its been quiet in here lately, anyone in OCIJ hear any additional good news yet? Still waiting anxiously here!
Same. I haven't heard anything. References checked before Thanksgiving. Good luck to you.
I'm also waiting and my references were checked before Thanksgiving. So don't worry, you're not alone. Good luck to you both!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:Its been quiet in here lately, anyone in OCIJ hear any additional good news yet? Still waiting anxiously here!
I'm assuming I'm an alternate at this point. :cry:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:
At least we're getting closer to some people's deadlines for responding to offers, so hopefully some people will start rejecting and positions will open up...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
At least we're getting closer to some people's deadlines for responding to offers, so hopefully some people will start rejecting and positions will open up...

The friend I told about the DOJ honors program and encouraged to apply in the first place, who got an offer at my first choice court just accepted so...

Sigh.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

The friend I told about the DOJ honors program and encouraged to apply in the first place, who got an offer at my first choice court just accepted so...

Sigh.
Oh, that's rough. I'm sorry. Good luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:02 pm

"The Civil Division has met its Honors Program hiring goals for this year and will not be issuing any further offers."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Sigh.
Sorry to hear that. :( Would you be willing to share when your friend received their offer, and to what court it was for?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Same. I haven't heard anything. References checked before Thanksgiving. Good luck to you.
I'm also waiting and my references were checked before Thanksgiving. So don't worry, you're not alone. Good luck to you both!
I'm this anon^ I just got an offer this morning for a court in the northeast. So there's still hope!!! Good luck everyone!!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I'm this anon^ I just got an offer this morning for a court in the northeast. So there's still hope!!! Good luck everyone!!
Congrats! I am the anon who made the original post. I am in the same boat that you were in, my references were checked before Thanksgiving and still waiting. Just out of curiosity, how high did you rank the court that you got? Did you check the box?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Congrats! I am the anon who made the original post. I am in the same boat that you were in, my references were checked before Thanksgiving and still waiting. Just out of curiosity, how high did you rank the court that you got? Did you check the box?
Thank you! I didn't check the box, only ranked six, and I ranked this court third.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Congratulations! That's fantastic news. I'm the anon whose references were also checked before Thanksgiving. Maybe I won't give up hope yet...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:40 pm

Has anyone received an offer who did not have their references checked? I know of one person who received an offer and did not believe their references were checked. A friend of mine received an offer this morning from a Midwestern court, but she had her references checked in the past two weeks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:01 pm

Anyone else still waiting? :roll:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:17 am

I'm sitll waiting on several offices in EOIR.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I know OCIJ offers are rolling but I'm becoming more pessimistic by the day...
I wouldn't lose hope just yet! I just now got an offer from OCIJ, and I'm fairly certain none of my references have been checked.
Oh wow! Congratulations! My references have been checked so that does make me feel a bit better. Do you mind sharing which court?-
San Antonio. I said I would go anywhere and ranked about 10 courts, but San Antonio wasn't one of them.
^I'm this anon; just wanted to say that I decided to reject the offer from the San Antonio court. Best of luck to everyone! :)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:13 pm

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:52 pm

Does anyone know of someone who got an offer from OCAHO?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:55 pm

Has anyone had their references checked but haven't heard anything? How long did it take to hear after getting your references checked?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:25 pm

From Deanna on Avue Regarding OCIJ

I can see that EOIR OCIJ has recently issued offers, but cannot tell exactly where they are in their decision cycle.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:27 pm

Has anyone recently received an offer from OCIJ and if so from where?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:08 am

I got an offer mid-January from the LA Immigration Court. I’m excited but nervous about the time it will take to complete the background check (because I’ll be moving literally to the opposite side of the country). I’m seeing stories where people didn’t get the final go ahead until July. There’s nothing in my background I’m concerned about, but still makes it stressful for making moving plans. Does anyone know how the fbi conducts interviews and how long they take? I guess it depends on how comprehensive they are?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:00 pm

Checking in—I’ve just received word that EOIR-OCIJ is checking my references. I’m very surprised and not sure what it means.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:47 am

Hi. Maybe this is the wrong place to ask, but does anyone know whether it's ever possible to transfer from one court to another during the 2 year OCIJ term? I assume not, but I figured I would check here to see if anyone has any experience with this.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:05 am

Morning!

If anyone who took part in the HP last year is still around I have a few questions:

1) Is it an 'all-eggs-1-basket' situation? I know some of you did not get offers until well after Thanksgiving, and that seems absolutely terrifying to me. Is there a way you can have a back-up plan in-case things do not work out as planned, or do you have to restart the job search as soon as you hear an unfavourable response?

2) How selective is the program? Is it built so that you are unlikely to get an offer unless you have at least a 3.5, Law Review, Moot Court & Biglaw 2L Summer?

3) I understand the process varies for different components, are there standard interview questions that this year's applicants should be prepping for like 'why the government'?

Thank you so much!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:08 pm

Re 3) there are standard questions everyone who applied has to answer as part of the application. These basically serve as your initial writing sample so take them very very seriously (and yes, they’re basically “why DOJ” and “what else should DOJ know about you”). You have to impress with those before you get to the interview stage.

Re 2) it’s extremely selective but what an individual component looks for can vary. I’m not sure any one of the things you list is a deal breaker but there are enough applicants that they can be pretty picky.

Re 1) I’m a little confused by this. Always have a back-up plan. If you did a big law SA 2L, don’t turn down an offer. You can always bail on the firm. You don’t have a job until you have a job.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”