DOJ Honors Program 2017-18

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 302855
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2017-18

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Formatting question for those doing the Civil division in SLIP: how do you consolidate all your documents onto one PDF? Especially an unofficial transcript? Sorry if this is very basic.


If you have the documents in Word versions, you can combine them and then make a PDF of the entire thing. Otherwise, I think you need to have the paid version of Acrobat (or know someone who does). There are free tools online that will accomplish this as well (I can't say how well they work though)

Anonymous User
Posts: 302855
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2017-18

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Formatting question for those doing the Civil division in SLIP: how do you consolidate all your documents onto one PDF? Especially an unofficial transcript? Sorry if this is very basic.


If you have the documents in Word versions, you can combine them and then make a PDF of the entire thing. Otherwise, I think you need to have the paid version of Acrobat (or know someone who does). There are free tools online that will accomplish this as well (I can't say how well they work though)

You can do it in preview with a mac too - just open every doc as a PDF in preview, then drag other PDF pages into the sidebar of one of them.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302855
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2017-18

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:49 pm

...
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302855
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2017-18

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:When you submit the materials, do you address the contact person listed for the division/component found at the top of the component page in the body of the email? Wasn't sure about that since submissions for different divisions within the component (such as EOIR) are going to a common email address. Or should the salutation just say something like - "To Hiring Committee" ?

(asking about actual email message, not subject line)

Anonymous User
Posts: 302855
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2017-18

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:00 pm

Does anyone know if withdrawing from SLIP after being selected for consideration hurts you if you want to apply to the HP later? I've been selected for consideration but just received a biglaw offer that will explode in two weeks. I have no idea how likely it is after making this initial cut that I'd actually be hired for SLIP. FedGov is my long-term goal, but if I didn't get hired for this after declining that biglaw offer, I'd be in pretty big trouble.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302855
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2017-18

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know if withdrawing from SLIP after being selected for consideration hurts you if you want to apply to the HP later? I've been selected for consideration but just received a biglaw offer that will explode in two weeks. I have no idea how likely it is after making this initial cut that I'd actually be hired for SLIP. FedGov is my long-term goal, but if I didn't get hired for this after declining that biglaw offer, I'd be in pretty big trouble.

You should be able to get BigLaw to extend the offer until like March as long as you are only considering public interest jobs. There is a NALP rule/suggestion about it.

Edit:
yeah it's Rule C.2. ... NALP wrote:Candidates may request that an employer extend the deadline to accept the employer’s offer until as late as April 1 if the candidate is actively pursuing positions with public interest or government organizations. Candidates may hold open only one offer in such circumstances. Employers are encouraged to grant such requests.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302855
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2017-18

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:08 am

SLIP

Does anyone know the ratio of people selected for consideration to spots available?

Anonymous User
Posts: 302855
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2017-18

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:SLIP

Does anyone know the ratio of people selected for consideration to spots available?


I've heard 4:1, but IDK if that's true for every component.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302855
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2017-18

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:SLIP

Does anyone know the ratio of people selected for consideration to spots available?


I've heard 4:1, but IDK if that's true for every component.


I like those odds, what component did you hear that for?

Anonymous User
Posts: 302855
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2017-18

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:SLIP

Does anyone know the ratio of people selected for consideration to spots available?


I've heard 4:1, but IDK if that's true for every component.


I like those odds, what component did you hear that for?


EOIR (OCIJ)—from an old thread here. I think I saw less-favorable odds for Civil. I might not be remembering correctly; I'll see if I can find it again.

User avatar
terrier27
Posts: 127
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:39 pm

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2017-18

Postby terrier27 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:Just got a DOJ Slip "Notice of Selection for Consideration" email for the Tax Division. Anyone know what this means for Tax? Will I be interviewed or do they have a different process?


Phone interview last year. Lasted about an hour.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302855
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2017-18

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:36 am

Does anyone have any insight into Antitrust New York's interview process?

Anonymous User
Posts: 302855
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2017-18

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have any insight into Antitrust New York's interview process?


Same question but for EOIR (BIA)?

CR2019
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:15 pm

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2017-18

Postby CR2019 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:38 am

Did anyone for SLIP hear back from their respective components to set an interview date?

Anonymous User
Posts: 302855
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2017-18

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:05 pm

CR2019 wrote:Did anyone for SLIP hear back from their respective components to set an interview date?


Yes, CIV/Federal Programs

lessperfect
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:33 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2017-18

Postby lessperfect » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know if withdrawing from SLIP after being selected for consideration hurts you if you want to apply to the HP later? I've been selected for consideration but just received a biglaw offer that will explode in two weeks. I have no idea how likely it is after making this initial cut that I'd actually be hired for SLIP. FedGov is my long-term goal, but if I didn't get hired for this after declining that biglaw offer, I'd be in pretty big trouble.


Delayed response, but I actually turned down an offer from SLIP, and later was selected for HP, albeit it was a different division than the division I turned down.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302855
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2017-18

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
CR2019 wrote:Did anyone for SLIP hear back from their respective components to set an interview date?


Yes, CIV/Federal Programs


That was fast. Are you a veteran? Also, did your Avue status change, or did you just get an email?

Anonymous User
Posts: 302855
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2017-18

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:35 pm

I got Tax for SLIP as well, they said to hold the documents and when they contact you for an interview then you can send them.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302855
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2017-18

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
CR2019 wrote:Did anyone for SLIP hear back from their respective components to set an interview date?


Yes, CIV/Federal Programs


That was fast. Are you a veteran? Also, did your Avue status change, or did you just get an email?


Not a vet. My status in Avue hasn't changed since the initial notifications were sent out last week and I found out about the interview through email. I was also selected by another component and haven't heard anything from them yet.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302855
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2017-18

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:32 pm

SLIP Applicant here

Received e-mail for an interview for the Tax division. Selected for consideration by the civil division, but no interview yet from civil.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302855
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2017-18

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:42 pm

Does anybody know if we find out ahead of time whether we are interviewing with individual sections within a division? For example I have interviews with the Commercial Litigation and Torts Branches. Each of those has many sections. Will we find out which section(s) we are interviewing for?

Anonymous User
Posts: 302855
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2017-18

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anybody know if we find out ahead of time whether we are interviewing with individual sections within a division? For example I have interviews with the Commercial Litigation and Torts Branches. Each of those has many sections. Will we find out which section(s) we are interviewing for?


My understanding is that you interview for the Branch/Division. If you receive an offer then sometime after you accept (I was told several months by someone at NRED) they inform you of what section you will be placed in. But I have heard that they may ask which section you prefer to be in but not sure if that's the case for all Branches/Divisions.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302855
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2017-18

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:42 pm

Any SLIP folks hear about interviews from Antitrust?

Anonymous User
Posts: 302855
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2017-18

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:22 pm

Just got this about half an hour ago:

"Thank you for your interest in interning with the Executive Office for Immigration Review, Office of the Chief Immigration Judge. You have been selected for further consideration. If you wish to indicate your court location preferences, please complete and return the attached geographic preference sheet to me by COB on Friday, October 27, 2017.  Although OCIJ attempts to accommodate candidate location preferences, placement in a preferred location is not guaranteed."

Past employees, does this mean I'm a finalist? How many rounds of this are there? Does OCIJ actually interview (via phone or otherwise) or is selection based on submitted materials?

Anonymous User
Posts: 302855
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2017-18

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:17 pm

Heard from ATR.. they said they were hoping to make a decision by Wednesday...




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.