DOJ Honors Program 2017-18 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2017-18

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:54 am

Selected by SLIP for EOIR (OCIJ). Does anyone know if they split? I've already accepted offers for next summer because I honestly didn't anticipate being selected. If I go through the interview process and am offered, I would STRONGLY consider reneging on my first half job. If I had to renege at two firms, I would withdraw my SLIP app. Anyone here know if they allow a 6 or 8 week program?

nativtracker

New

Post by nativtracker » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:36 am

Bump on the splitting question. Already took firm offer. But still want to pursue SLIP in hopes of a funnel offer later.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:Just got a DOJ Slip "Notice of Selection for Consideration" email for the Tax Division. Anyone know what this means for Tax? Will I be interviewed or do they have a different process?
Congrats! Me too! Good luck.

Does anyone know the ratio of "selection for consideration" to available slots is?

And did anyone else get the technical problems memo? If you have listed components, but still got the email does that mean other components might not be viable?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just got a DOJ Slip "Notice of Selection for Consideration" email for the Tax Division. Anyone know what this means for Tax? Will I be interviewed or do they have a different process?

Does anyone know the ratio of "selection for consideration" to available slots is?

And did anyone else get the technical problems memo? If you have listed components, but still got the email does that mean other components might not be viable?
Same anon that you quoted. I also got the technical problems memo. Good luck to you too!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Same anon that you quoted. I also got the technical problems memo. Good luck to you too!
Same question - got selected for one SLIP component, also got technical problems memo, and applied to another component (civil). Has anyone been selected by the civil division for SLIP?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Same question - got selected for one SLIP component, also got technical problems memo, and applied to another component (civil). Has anyone been selected by the civil division for SLIP?
Second anon here, I also applied to civil, I got two components, neither civil.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Selected by SLIP for EOIR (OCIJ). Does anyone know if they split? I've already accepted offers for next summer because I honestly didn't anticipate being selected. If I go through the interview process and am offered, I would STRONGLY consider reneging on my first half job. If I had to renege at two firms, I would withdraw my SLIP app. Anyone here know if they allow a 6 or 8 week program?

This ^^ was me. Just notified that I was selected by Civil as well, but there was no indication of which division. It just says "Civ" in the component key. Document submissions are required to made within four days, so I guess the component is irrelevant? Submissions are all made to the same place, I guess? Does anyone else have a division listed?

Also, AVUE actually just says "selected for consideration for employment," while the component info says to submit documents within 4 days of being notified of interview selection. If I'm being considered for employment, does that mean I've been selected for an interview? Or do I need to wait and submit the materials until I get an official email?

greatdane14

New

Post by greatdane14 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Selected by SLIP for EOIR (OCIJ). Does anyone know if they split? I've already accepted offers for next summer because I honestly didn't anticipate being selected. If I go through the interview process and am offered, I would STRONGLY consider reneging on my first half job. If I had to renege at two firms, I would withdraw my SLIP app. Anyone here know if they allow a 6 or 8 week program?
I was a SLIP intern with CIV last summer. Many of my co-interns split their summers with firms. Paid SLIP is only 8 weeks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:50 pm

Selected for the Tax and Civ components. Talking it through with a couple other SLIP hopefuls, and we think the small print that says consideration does not mean we will be contacted for an interview, combined with the fact that the pre-interview requirements explicitly state "...following notification of an interview," means that we just sit tight with our materials until we get confirmed for an interview.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CR2019

New

Post by CR2019 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:17 pm

greatdane14 wrote:
I was a SLIP intern with CIV last summer. Many of my co-interns split their summers with firms. Paid SLIP is only 8 weeks.
When did you hear back for an interview date after you sent in your Pre-Interview submission?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:28 pm

has anyone had any follow up about interviews being scheduled? (Honors not SLIP)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:has anyone had any follow up about interviews being scheduled? (Honors not SLIP)
I received an email with my interview time and travel information a few days ago.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Selected for the Tax and Civ components. Talking it through with a couple other SLIP hopefuls, and we think the small print that says consideration does not mean we will be contacted for an interview, combined with the fact that the pre-interview requirements explicitly state "...following notification of an interview," means that we just sit tight with our materials until we get confirmed for an interview.
Thanks! Where is this small print of which you speak?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:25 am

greatdane14 wrote:
Thanks for the info. Do you remember if there was a set start date for everyone and how soon after the end of the semester you started working?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Selected for the Tax and Civ components. Talking it through with a couple other SLIP hopefuls, and we think the small print that says consideration does not mean we will be contacted for an interview, combined with the fact that the pre-interview requirements explicitly state "...following notification of an interview," means that we just sit tight with our materials until we get confirmed for an interview.
Thanks! Where is this small print of which you speak?
In the initial e-mail they sent us before the corrections! "Being selected for consideration does not guarantee that you will be contacted, interviewed, or hired by the component(s) that selected you. It does indicate that you are still competitive for an offer. Each component is independently responsible for arranging an interview, if applicable."

I think the distinctive word choice, using both "selected for consideration" and interview in different contexts, means that the two are different, especially when compared with the pre-interview requirements language. That being said, I'm sure there are plenty of people who are confused, and I know people who are going to hedge their bets and send in their materials anyway.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:08 am

Someone asked about this for SLIP on the community board in Avue. Looks like you should submit docs now.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:Someone asked about this for SLIP on the community board in Avue. Looks like you should submit docs now.

Wow. Thanks!!! They aren't kidding around with the four days then.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:29 am

Just called in the Tax division since there isn't a link provided (as compared to the Civil division), and the contact told me to sit tight and wait until the interviewer reaches out before submitting materials.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:Just called in the Tax division since there isn't a link provided (as compared to the Civil division), and the contact told me to sit tight and wait until the interviewer reaches out before submitting materials.
To clarify, this is for the SLIP.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just called in the Tax division since there isn't a link provided (as compared to the Civil division), and the contact told me to sit tight and wait until the interviewer reaches out before submitting materials.
To clarify, this is for the SLIP.
yeah I checked this website https://www.justice.gov/legal-careers/tax-contacts and it seems like Tax wants us to wait for someone to reach out. Has anyone sent in a writing sample or transcript?

greatdane14

New

Post by greatdane14 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:has anyone had any follow up about interviews being scheduled? (Honors not SLIP)
I received an email with my interview time and travel information a few days ago.
same. I sent my travel survey immediately on Sept 27th, and received my travel itinerary on the 29th.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

greatdane14

New

Post by greatdane14 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
greatdane14 wrote:
Thanks for the info. Do you remember if there was a set start date for everyone and how soon after the end of the semester you started working?
There is no set start date, people started/ended at different times. They are pretty flexible. I also took the bar exam, so I took 3 weeks off in the middle of it. I started working right away, i.e., a week after graduation
Last edited by greatdane14 on Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

greatdane14

New

Post by greatdane14 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:15 pm

greatdane14 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
greatdane14 wrote:
There is no set start date, people started/ended at different times. They are pretty flexible. I also took the bar exam, so I took 3 weeks off in the middle of it.
EDIT: this was just for one civil branch though. perhaps this isn't all branches.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:59 pm

Formatting question for those doing the Civil division in SLIP: how do you consolidate all your documents onto one PDF? Especially an unofficial transcript? Sorry if this is very basic.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:52 pm

greatdane14 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
same. I sent my travel survey immediately on Sept 27th, and received my travel itinerary on the 29th.
I was the one asking the question -- got my schedule today (no itinerary b/c local.)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”