DOJ Honors Program 2017-18 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2017-18

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can everyone who received an interview generally state their qualifications? For ex., are you coming off a clerkship?
Current GULC 3L (was going to say T15 but lol nvm), 3.7ish GPA, head of relevant journal/team/student org, DC biglaw 2L summer, semi relevant gov internship 1L summer. also RA, TA, LRW fellow and moot court.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:42 pm

Hey everyone,

A bit about me for anon 3 posts up - currently in second clerkship - will have done both district and appellate when done. Applied to formal and informal. Received interview invites to Civ[branch withheld] and an AUSA from the informal component.

Got one email from the AUSA informal component with additional info on what the specific position was. Did not get an email from Civ[Branch withheld]. Hope this helps.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:48 pm

Fellow with a State Agency, top 25% of my class, regional school. EOIR-OCIJ interview; none with Crim or DEA or any of the informal ones (I think I applied to tax).

Last year I had tax-crim interview, but did not get it.

Pass302

New

Post by Pass302 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:34 pm

Got EOIR - OGC and OCIJ

Wild Card

Silver

Post by Wild Card » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:37 pm

I'll wait until tomorrow evening, 11:59PM, before giving in to despondency.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:14 am

sparanj2 wrote:Does anyone know if components that were participating informally also announced interview selections today? Especially curious to see if anyone has heard from the US Attorneys offices that were only participating informally.
Yes, I was selected for USAO ED CAL (informal component)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:Can everyone who received an interview generally state their qualifications? For ex., are you coming off a clerkship?
Just started my second year clerking with district court. Regional law school, top 10 in my class, EIC of law review, two internships with DOJ (including SLIP), national champion on trial team. RA, TA, etc.

sparanj2

New

Post by sparanj2 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hey everyone,

A bit about me for anon 3 posts up - currently in second clerkship - will have done both district and appellate when done. Applied to formal and informal. Received interview invites to Civ[branch withheld] and an AUSA from the informal component.

Got one email from the AUSA informal component with additional info on what the specific position was. Did not get an email from Civ[Branch withheld]. Hope this helps.
Was the AUSA informal component DC? It was a long shot that I would get an interview with them anyway but just trying to determine if I should give up hope or not.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:
sparanj2 wrote:Does anyone know if components that were participating informally also announced interview selections today? Especially curious to see if anyone has heard from the US Attorneys offices that were only participating informally.
Yes, I was selected for USAO ED CAL (informal component)
The fact that one informal component has announced selections does not mean that all of them have.

Anyone hear from USAO DC/SDNY? I saw Tax mentioned earlier in the thread.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ddu5

New

Post by ddu5 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:Did anyone get EOIR (BIA)?
same question

Wild Card

Silver

Post by Wild Card » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:02 pm

Deana Willis
Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:46 PM

HP Interview Notices Update
Greetings:

The Department has updated online accounts for candidates selected for HP interviews. Congratulations to all who were selected.

At this point, we have not yet updated the status for remaining applicants for two reasons:

1. It is possible for a few late additions to be approved; and

2. We still have informally participating components that are conducting reviews but are not yet able to proceed to interviews and hiring.

Of the informally participating USAOs, the Eastern District of California and the Southern District of New York have identified candidates, whose status was updated yesterday. We expect the District of Columbia to identify candidates at a later date - they are waiting for a new U.S. Attorney to come on board.

I hope this is helpful and thank everyone for their interest in the Attorney General's Honors Program and the U.S. Department of Justice.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:09 pm

Heard from a DOJ employee that they are interviewing approximately 13 people for 4 spots in Tax Division (2 in crim and 2 in civil). Congrats to those who received interviews. Statistically speaking, the hard part is behind you.

deuceindc

Bronze

Post by deuceindc » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Heard from a DOJ employee that they are interviewing approximately 13 people for 4 spots in Tax Division (2 in crim and 2 in civil). Congrats to those who received interviews. Statistically speaking, the hard part is behind you.
What's the normal/historical ratio? I agree that 13:4 is a very favorable conversion rate, but is it better than in past years? Not limited to Tax, would love to see info for any/all divisions.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:02 pm

deuceindc wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Heard from a DOJ employee that they are interviewing approximately 13 people for 4 spots in Tax Division (2 in crim and 2 in civil). Congrats to those who received interviews. Statistically speaking, the hard part is behind you.
What's the normal/historical ratio? I agree that 13:4 is a very favorable conversion rate, but is it better than in past years? Not limited to Tax, would love to see info for any/all divisions.
Does anyone know how many they interview for the EOIR (BIA) position? There are four spots available but I would love to know more about how many interviews they offer or the interview process itself.

sparanj2

New

Post by sparanj2 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:07 pm

deuceindc wrote:
I'm not sure about other sections but if I remember correctly from last year, CRM:AFMLS interviewed 12 people for 3 spots.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:27 pm

Yeah, in previous years people have said it's 4 candidates per slot for most components, although fewer for EOIR-OCIJ (since it's such a big pool). I can't verify that though.

JoeStrummer

New

Post by JoeStrummer » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:14 pm

Any past HP hires lurking the thread this year? Looking for a little help/background on Civil Tort, Fed Programs, and Comm Lit. PM me if you're willing to assist. Thanks in advance.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:14 pm

It appears that components with more spots to fill have lower interviewees-to-spots ratios (i.e. 3-5 per spot), and components with fewer spots to fill have higher ratios, more like 8:1. However, that's not always the case. For example, last year the Criminal Division received over 800 applications, interviewed 36, and made 8 offers. Perhaps the Tax Division is following a similar pattern this year.

(Source: threads from years past. Cannot personally confirm or deny.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:51 am

Can everyone who received an interview generally state their qualifications? For ex., are you coming off a clerkship?
Targeted the immigration offices, am interviewing with the courts. Have five-six years of immigration related experience, did an internship at DOJ-OIL and EOIR (as a SLIP). Current 3L at a T2, Law Review, LRW TA, relevant graduate degree.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:>Can everyone who received an interview generally state their qualifications? For ex., are you coming off a clerkship?

Targeted the immigration offices, am interviewing with the courts. Have five-six years of immigration related experience, did an internship at DOJ-OIL and EOIR (as a SLIP). Current 3L at a T2, Law Review, LRW TA, relevant graduate degree.
Are you interviewing for OCIJ only?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:Are you interviewing for OCIJ only?
Yes. I'm expecting to end up at the same court where I was a SLIP. I know from discussions with HR/other DOJ honors types that agencies can get possessive of their SLIPS. Little bummed I didn't get a funnel offer, but the court in question hadn't had a SLIP before and didn't even know about the funnel offer system. Bah. We'll see, fingers crossed and all that.

Despite the honors program, DOJ-OIL doesn't like to hire people who haven't already put time in somewhere else - or they hire direct through the funnel program (two former SLIPS I know from when I interned there are now honors attorneys there).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

nativtracker

New

Post by nativtracker » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:09 pm

Anyone know if SLIP interviews have gone out? They say mid-october, but you never know.

aelphabawest

New

Post by aelphabawest » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:30 pm

nativtracker wrote:Anyone know if SLIP interviews have gone out? They say mid-october, but you never know.
I didn't interview for mine. Not even a phone interview. They just sent me an email with an offer.
But a different component did ask to set up a phone interview.

It was early October last year.

nativtracker

New

Post by nativtracker » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:51 am

aelphabawest wrote:
nativtracker wrote:Anyone know if SLIP interviews have gone out? They say mid-october, but you never know.
I didn't interview for mine. Not even a phone interview. They just sent me an email with an offer.
But a different component did ask to set up a phone interview.

It was early October last year.

Super jealous. But I feel unlikely with new administration? SLIP for civ appellate has one slot. Anti-trust DC.. only 8, and thats the highest number of all the components.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:34 am

Just got a DOJ Slip "Notice of Selection for Consideration" email for the Tax Division. Anyone know what this means for Tax? Will I be interviewed or do they have a different process?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”