GULC EIW 2017 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: GULC EIW 2017

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:diffn't anon. Will an email notice about transfer journal results go out, or is it only on the website?
Email will go out today around 1 pm

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:diffn't anon. Will an email notice about transfer journal results go out, or is it only on the website?
Email will go out today around 1 pm
Although OJA is pretty incompetent so you could start refreshing the website as of right now

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:00 am

How important is it to research your interviewers for screeners? With moving schedules, last minute changes, and multiple interviewers per firm, it just doesn't seem worth the opportunity cost to go nuts for 20+ screeners. My thought is to just generally know if it's an associate or partner, and what their practice is. For firms, know what they're good at, and have a talking point or two like good culture and great summer program.

Does this seem logical, or should I spend the extra time digging? Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:18 am

Received 2
Anonymous User wrote:How important is it to research your interviewers for screeners? With moving schedules, last minute changes, and multiple interviewers per firm, it just doesn't seem worth the opportunity cost to go nuts for 20+ screeners. My thought is to just generally know if it's an associate or partner, and what their practice is. For firms, know what they're good at, and have a talking point or two like good culture and great summer program.

It would probably be best to research more about the firm and even if you can name drop partners/associates in a practice area whose done notable work in your area of interest. Even if they don't end up being your interviewer it shows the interviewer that you have an idea of the people you would be working with and that it's what you want. As for interviewer research, I did more digging if it they ended up being partner or senior counsel, especially to see if they left and then returned to the firm (they love the question about what aspect of the firm culture makes people want to come back). I would probably save that ques. for a callback or based on your feelings about how the conversation is going.

General interviewer practice area and level seems reasonable, especially with how many interviews you have and the short time. This helped with my in-office interviews but we'll see how it works for next week (Received 1 Pre-OCI offer and 1 Callback from V15s)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:Received 2
Anonymous User wrote:How important is it to research your interviewers for screeners? With moving schedules, last minute changes, and multiple interviewers per firm, it just doesn't seem worth the opportunity cost to go nuts for 20+ screeners. My thought is to just generally know if it's an associate or partner, and what their practice is. For firms, know what they're good at, and have a talking point or two like good culture and great summer program.

It would probably be best to research more about the firm and even if you can name drop partners/associates in a practice area whose done notable work in your area of interest. Even if they don't end up being your interviewer it shows the interviewer that you have an idea of the people you would be working with and that it's what you want. As for interviewer research, I did more digging if it they ended up being partner or senior counsel, especially to see if they left and then returned to the firm (they love the question about what aspect of the firm culture makes people want to come back). I would probably save that ques. for a callback or based on your feelings about how the conversation is going.

General interviewer practice area and level seems reasonable, especially with how many interviews you have and the short time. This helped with my in-office interviews but we'll see how it works for next week (Received 1 Pre-OCI offer and 1 Callback from V15s)
Thanks very much, I appreciate the answer. Well done on the offer/callback already. That's got to be such a load off your back just heading into the OCI process.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:02 pm

When attempting to pick up an interview showing a grey box over the interview date, the next page says there are no more slots on this date. Does that mean the only slot available conflicts with a scheduled interview? Every time I refresh, it shows there's still availability that day.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:09 pm

Anyone have experience not being on a journal? (I'm not trying to do litigation and have a externship lined up already) I feel like I have a decent answer if someone asks me about it, but I'm just wondering if it's really going to be a deal breaker.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:When attempting to pick up an interview showing a grey box over the interview date, the next page says there are no more slots on this date. Does that mean the only slot available conflicts with a scheduled interview? Every time I refresh, it shows there's still availability that day.
Are you clicking on the grey box itself? It's weird, if you click "review" or the little exclamation point, it doesn't show you the open slot(s). If you click the grey box, it should show you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have experience not being on a journal? (I'm not trying to do litigation and have a externship lined up already) I feel like I have a decent answer if someone asks me about it, but I'm just wondering if it's really going to be a deal breaker.
I was on a journal last year and not a single interviewer asked me about it. I know many people that weren't on a journal that got multiple offers, including transfer students.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:When attempting to pick up an interview showing a grey box over the interview date, the next page says there are no more slots on this date. Does that mean the only slot available conflicts with a scheduled interview? Every time I refresh, it shows there's still availability that day.
Are you clicking on the grey box itself? It's weird, if you click "review" or the little exclamation point, it doesn't show you the open slot(s). If you click the grey box, it should show you.

Yep, clicking on the grey box.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:43 pm

Is it confirmed that if you sign up for 2 (in 24 hours) through open sign up and then drop 1 of those 2, you can sign up for others?

11law01

New

Post by 11law01 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is it confirmed that if you sign up for 2 (in 24 hours) through open sign up and then drop 1 of those 2, you can sign up for others?
I emailed OCS and asked and they said that it does not reset the clock if you drop. Not sure if they were positive about that answer; they might just be playing it safe.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:06 pm

Researching the firm (as opposed to interviewers) is good advice.

You can also swing by the hospitality suite 20-30 minutes before your interview if you have time and be like "I'm interviewing with Bob Smith in 30 minutes; do you know him?" I had good luck with people being like "oh, tell him I told you to ask about X case that he just finished!" Then, when I'd say "Nancy in the hospitality suite told me to ask you about X," it seemed less creepy and scripted than like discussing their online profile.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have experience not being on a journal? (I'm not trying to do litigation and have a externship lined up already) I feel like I have a decent answer if someone asks me about it, but I'm just wondering if it's really going to be a deal breaker.
I was on a journal last year and not a single interviewer asked me about it. I know many people that weren't on a journal that got multiple offers, including transfer students.
I don't think very many firms will will care. Honestly, if people are asking you "why'd you join X journal?" or "why didn't you join any journal?" it's probably a sign of a pretty boring interview. (I say that with the caveat that many interviews have a boring lull where you just get asked a random resume question. And that doesn't mean the whole interview was bad, but like, I wouldn't consider that the type of conversation that is fun and interesting and great).

But have a quick, non-apologetic answer just in case (e.g., "I thought about doing write on but decided I'd prefer to spend my time doing externships and other litigation experiences. I plan to develop my writing skills through a clinic and other coursework. For example, I am so excited to start my externship at X....")

browniestasty

Bronze

Post by browniestasty » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:36 pm

For those refreshing obsessively, you can get "Page Monitor" and just monitor the EIW bidding page (with all 250 listings displayed on single page).

It will tell you if the page changes or if Symplicity logs you out. It's better than refreshing manually every 10 seconds.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:39 pm

Transfer journal results are up as of at least 1:15

- Jim Comey/Reinhold Niebuhr

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:47 pm

Can anyone speak to the competition of the transfer write on competition? Is it tough to make a journal via Transfer write on? Which journals are most competitive v

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:05 pm

Hospitality Suite Question: If you have a pretty packed day and your time is limited, what should be your higher priority, firms with whom you're interviewing or firms you bid on and didn't get a screener with?

On one hand, I'd like to pick up as many extra interviews as possible, but on the other I'd like to show interest in firms I'm seeing, and don't want to be marked down if they keep track of visitors. Appreciate any advice.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hospitality Suite Question: If you have a pretty packed day and your time is limited, what should be your higher priority, firms with whom you're interviewing or firms you bid on and didn't get a screener with?

On one hand, I'd like to pick up as many extra interviews as possible, but on the other I'd like to show interest in firms I'm seeing, and don't want to be marked down if they keep track of visitors. Appreciate any advice.
I would go by the hospitality suites of the firms you are interviewing with and most interested in, for sure (I am anon above who talked about going before interviews, which I typically did and found useful). Swinging by hospitality suites of places you didn't get an interview with is mostly a resume drop and a pretty quick process. It certainly can't hurt to bring them your resume.

In general, hospitality suites are not a place you need to linger forever, and people understand you have to go to interviews or go do whatever. So, even if you have, say, seven interviews in one day, you should be able to go by ALL the suites you are interested in. Like, 20 minute screeners just aren't that long, and even "packed" days have plenty of down time.

Some firms have big hospitality suites that are a little bit away from the interviews, but those are all right by each other and you can just pop in from one hospitality suite to another. But many firms have their suite on the floor where they are interviewing, so it is right around the corner from your interview. Sometimes literally next door. You can often swing by right before or right after you interview and just say hello.

In the hospitality suite, you'll often just chat with a recruiter or lawyer and drink coffee or water. The suites are oftentimes more chill than the student area anyway, so they are a good place to spend in-between-interview breaks.

11law01

New

Post by 11law01 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:52 am

Is it acceptable to refer to the firm in the interview by its popular name instead of its entire name? I.e. saying "Akin Gump" instead of "Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld"

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:56 am

11law01 wrote:Is it acceptable to refer to the firm in the interview by its popular name instead of its entire name? I.e. saying "Akin Gump" instead of "Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld"
YES. Listing out every named partner when you are talking about the firm will not leave a good impression. Use the firm's trading name.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:48 am

For whoever was asking about mock interviews, I just got a callback out of mine! So happy, esp. because I've been pretty lax about job hunting (i.e. did zero outreach). V15 firm, for what it's worth.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:For whoever was asking about mock interviews, I just got a callback out of mine! So happy, esp. because I've been pretty lax about job hunting (i.e. did zero outreach). V15 firm, for what it's worth.
I did too! Got contacted the same afternoon by their recruitment office to schedule a side interview during EIW. It's not an in-office callback or anything but i'll take it! It's also a V15 and my mock interviewer was also a really new assoc. *fingers crossed*

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:55 am

Is OCS any good with helping students decide on choices or connecting with the recent GULC S.A.s if they need more info to choose b/w a few diffn't firms after EIW?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is OCS any good with helping students decide on choices or connecting with the recent GULC S.A.s if they need more info to choose b/w a few diffn't firms after EIW?
They asked us (current SAs) if we'd willing to be on a list with contact info and firm, so I think at the very least, they can put you in touch with someone.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”