GULC EIW 2017

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: GULC EIW 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Don't see matches up and no email

OJA just gave me the green light to email new staff

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:05 pm

Does this include transfers?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does this include transfers?

No, result law for the transfer write-on competition come out next week. We'll keep you posted with LEAKS

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:15 pm

thanks james

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:17 pm

we thinking like monday next week or like ... friday?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Carlton_Banks wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:LEAK: Journal results are finalized. Expect an email between 1 and 2 pm today.

Thanks, Reince.

I see myself as more of a Jim Comey kind of leaker.

Girl you are no Comey

at least I'm no Steve Bannon either.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:we thinking like monday next week or like ... friday?

Scores are due by noon on Monday. Given that the transfer competition is one tenth the size of the regular one, one hopes they won't need anywhere near as long to process scores

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:we thinking like monday next week or like ... friday?

Scores are due by noon on Monday. Given that the transfer competition is one tenth the size of the regular one, one hopes they won't need anywhere near as long to process scores

That is a hopeful outlook... As much as I love waiting Wednesday or before would go a long way to put me out of the misery

Carlton_Banks

Postby Carlton_Banks » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:at least I'm no Steve Bannon either.

What? You don't want to suck your own cock?

BmoreOrLess

Postby BmoreOrLess » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:What exactly do Journal office hours entail?

If it is the tax lawyer, office hours means wandering down the journal office at some point in the week and signing the sign in sheet.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:28 pm

I planned a trip the day after interviews end for a week. Does anyone know when callback interviews happen?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I planned a trip the day after interviews end for a week. Does anyone know when callback interviews happen?

This isn't great timing. Callbacks start immediately after screeners.

My first one was the Friday of EIW week. Then, I did the bulk of mine the week following EIW, and a few two weeks following EIW. I did them all before classes started.

Any chance you can move your trip? You'll be traveling during prime CB time, and since most firms give rolling offers, it can hurt your chances.

buckiguy_sucks

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I planned a trip the day after interviews end for a week. Does anyone know when callback interviews happen?

My first one was the Friday of EIW week. Then, I did the bulk of mine the week following EIW, and a few two weeks following EIW. I did them all before classes started.

Any chance you can move your trip? You'll be traveling during prime CB time, and since most firms give rolling offers, it can hurt your chances.

you should almost certainly cancel or move this trip to much, much later in the semester

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:43 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

you should almost certainly cancel or move this trip to much, much later in the semester

ftfy

Gray

Postby Gray » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:44 pm

oops accidental anon that was me ^^

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:39 am

I used 24 bids (all NYC) and got 12 screeners with a good mix of firms. I'm pretty pleased with the outcome given that I had no idea what I was doing when compiling my bid list (didn't think to consult TLS - longtime lurker here). GPA is between Top 1/3 and Top 15% but my resume is pretty interesting and I have strong and unique ties to NY. How necessary is it to push for additional interviews? I plan to hit up the hospitality suites but unsure whether it'd be worth the effort to do individual outreach.

buckiguy_sucks

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:I used 24 bids (all NYC) and got 12 screeners with a good mix of firms. I'm pretty pleased with the outcome given that I had no idea what I was doing when compiling my bid list (didn't think to consult TLS - longtime lurker here). GPA is between Top 1/3 and Top 15% but my resume is pretty interesting and I have strong and unique ties to NY. How necessary is it to push for additional interviews? I plan to hit up the hospitality suites but unsure whether it'd be worth the effort to do individual outreach.

What is the upside to having fewer interviews other than getting to be lazier? More than one person I know with 3.6xs struck out last year. Every interview increases your likelihood of getting a job. You can always turn down callbacks if you have too many, but you can't always get more screeners after EIW happens. 12 is certainly not a lot of screeners. The during EIW effort of picking up more screeners is a lot less than the effort and stress of mass mailing/hustling well into the fall or spring if you strike out at EIW.

edit for dumb typo in first sentence
Last edited by buckiguy_sucks on Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gray

Postby Gray » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:41 am

buckiguy_sucks wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I used 24 bids (all NYC) and got 12 screeners with a good mix of firms. I'm pretty pleased with the outcome given that I had no idea what I was doing when compiling my bid list (didn't think to consult TLS - longtime lurker here). GPA is between Top 1/3 and Top 15% but my resume is pretty interesting and I have strong and unique ties to NY. How necessary is it to push for additional interviews? I plan to hit up the hospitality suites but unsure whether it'd be worth the effort to do individual outreach.

What is the downside to having fewer interviews other than getting to be lazier? More than one person I know with 3.6xs struck out last year. Every interview increases your likelihood of getting a job. You can always turn down callbacks if you have too many, but you can't always get more screeners after EIW happens. 12 is certainly not a lot of screeners. The during EIW effort of picking up more screeners is a lot less than the effort and stress of mass mailing/hustling well into the fall or spring if you strike out at EIW.

^^ all of this, and you should actively try to pick up interviews during the add/drop windows

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:10 pm

@jamescomey have any leaks on that transfer writing comp?

WhiskeyAndCupcakes

Postby WhiskeyAndCupcakes » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:50 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:

What is the downside to having fewer interviews other than getting to be lazier? More than one person I know with 3.6xs struck out last year. Every interview increases your likelihood of getting a job. You can always turn down callbacks if you have too many, but you can't always get more screeners after EIW happens. 12 is certainly not a lot of screeners. The during EIW effort of picking up more screeners is a lot less than the effort and stress of mass mailing/hustling well into the fall or spring if you strike out at EIW.

Also, this is the easiest time to get interviews. It is MUCH easier to get on one of the side schedules -- especially with decent grades -- NOW than it is to pick up a screener two weeks after EIW (including via the hospitality suite). Do add/drop, email firms, etc. You can always cancel callbacks once you have an offer. But, push for as many screeners as possible.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:21 pm

Totally agree with the above logic. GPA 3.5-3.6 range and 17 screeners at OCI, but if I could make it 50 I would. Why even risk it?

Career services said to be "careful" about emailing too many firms you didn't get a screener with, so I emailed 6-7 or so. But does anyone think there's any harm to just emailing them all?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Totally agree with the above logic. GPA 3.5-3.6 range and 17 screeners at OCI, but if I could make it 50 I would. Why even risk it?

Career services said to be "careful" about emailing too many firms you didn't get a screener with, so I emailed 6-7 or so. But does anyone think there's any harm to just emailing them all?

I don't think there is harm in emailing them all. Not all firms do additional screeners, and you don't run an actual risk of getting 50. Email them. You are better off cancelling callbacks than worrying about not having enough.

(In the 3.5+ range, I think you'll be fine, assuming you interview decently, but might as well do more screeners. Sometimes, people have bad luck.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Totally agree with the above logic. GPA 3.5-3.6 range and 17 screeners at OCI, but if I could make it 50 I would. Why even risk it?

I don't think there is harm in emailing them all. Not all firms do additional screeners, and you don't run an actual risk of getting 50. Email them. You are better off cancelling callbacks than worrying about not having enough.

(In the 3.5+ range, I think you'll be fine, assuming you interview decently, but might as well do more screeners. Sometimes, people have bad luck.)

on that note - if a firm responds something to the effect of "Thanks for reaching out, we don't have any openings right now but please do stop by our hospitality suite!" is that a brush off? Or a genuine sign of interest? Or just being polite?

Asking for a friend who missed the top 1/3 by .01, on a secondary journal, and has long/unique work experience

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

on that note - if a firm responds something to the effect of "Thanks for reaching out, we don't have any openings right now but please do stop by our hospitality suite!" is that a brush off? Or a genuine sign of interest? Or just being polite?

Asking for a friend who missed the top 1/3 by .01, on a secondary journal, and has long/unique work experience

I think it depends. Some really don't do additional interviews during EIW, and they mean that they are "full" right now. It certainly can't hurt to swing by the suite. Others do additional interviews and will be sending other people an email that's like "show up in room 709 at 12:40." But, it doesn't benefit you to worry about which type of firm it is. Plan on swinging by the hospitality suite and keep emailing other firms. Also, check out the add/drop period.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I think it depends. Some really don't do additional interviews during EIW, and they mean that they are "full" right now. It certainly can't hurt to swing by the suite. Others do additional interviews and will be sending other people an email that's like "show up in room 709 at 12:40." But, it doesn't benefit you to worry about which type of firm it is. Plan on swinging by the hospitality suite and keep emailing other firms. Also, check out the add/drop period.

Third anon here - thanks, I was planning on swinging by the hospitality suites anyway, was just wondering. lottery and preselects only gave me 11 screeners, so I'll definitely be trolling the add/drop aggressively.

Return to “Legal Employment”