GULC EIW 2017 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: GULC EIW 2017

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:27 pm

11 is not bad. I got 11 through bidding, and then I picked up 6 side schedules and added 5 through add drop. So, other channels ended up doubling my screener number. That's a great start!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:@jamescomey have any leaks on that transfer writing comp?
Expect transfer write on results perhaps as early as by tomorrow, Wednesday at the latest

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:31 pm

Anyone received callbacks or screeners after the OCS mock interviews with the V100 firms?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:@jamescomey have any leaks on that transfer writing comp?
Expect transfer write on results perhaps as early as by tomorrow, Wednesday at the latest
James you are a gem lemme tell ya

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone received callbacks or screeners after the OCS mock interviews with the V100 firms?
Felt like I hit it off with my mock interviewer but got the ol' "Unfortunately I have no say with the hiring committee so I can't help you."

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:48 am

This process has been crazy. Should I put more weight on a firm's overall Vault rankings or look at its Vault rankings for recognition like "Best Summer Associate Program"/"Best firms to work for" when considering between firms? I figure that the overall rankings are more prestigious and that it might be better go with V5 that doesn't put on a thick layer of sunshine, hope, and free swag.

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:51 am

Vault rankings are about as useful as US news rankings but enjoy Skadden I guess

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:08 am

so is symplicity just going to be a blood bath as of 12:01pm? Like 600 of us logging in and swiping the first two interviews we can?

my actual question - do I need to be logged in and refreshing at 12:00 exactly or else everything will be snagged in the first three minutes?

de minimis

New

Post by de minimis » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:so is symplicity just going to be a blood bath as of 12:01pm? Like 600 of us logging in and swiping the first two interviews we can?

my actual question - do I need to be logged in and refreshing at 12:00 exactly or else everything will be snagged in the first three minutes?
I refreshed obsessively for the entire week and picked up an additional 11 screeners. It sucked but was worthwhile.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SubmedianHomeskAlien

New

Post by SubmedianHomeskAlien » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:15 am

How do open sign ups even work? The EIW Newsletter said something about a "gray box" next to the firms that have available slots?

Will the firms with available slots automatically be at the top of the Symplicity list or will we have to go digging through all 300 to find a diamond in the rough?

Luckily, the courthouse that I'm interning at has really shitty public Wi-Fi that randomly dies every 15 minutes minutes or so. So I should be on top of things.

Throwaonetwothree

New

Post by Throwaonetwothree » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:35 pm

Well open sign up today was...interesting to say the least. Anyone familiar with the frequency with which interviews become available? In other words, do the amount of interviews available per day taper off as EIW approaches?

ladybug1989

Bronze

Post by ladybug1989 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:40 pm

How did you guys deal with back to back interviews last year? I have 3 that are back to back. :S

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This process has been crazy. Should I put more weight on a firm's overall Vault rankings or look at its Vault rankings for recognition like "Best Summer Associate Program"/"Best firms to work for" when considering between firms? I figure that the overall rankings are more prestigious and that it might be better go with V5 that doesn't put on a thick layer of sunshine, hope, and free swag.
Vault rankings are only really helpful in broad strokes. They are okay for reflecting the biggest deals, etc. in the New York market but aren't going to be a great indicator of which firms are strong in different practices in YOUR market. Use the Chambers bands for that.

The Vault rankings of summer associate programs are less helpful than the Vault rankings of firms. Ignore those.

Research which firms are strong in your market for the practice areas you are targeting. Start there. If you are really, really unsure of what type of practice areas you are interested in, look for firms that are strong across a range of practice groups in your market, I guess.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:50 pm

ladybug1989 wrote:How did you guys deal with back to back interviews last year? I have 3 that are back to back. :S
Have a mental ranking of which firm is most important to you and do not be late to that one. At the beginning of any screener you'll have to leave early, say "I'm so sorry, but I have back-to-back interviews and will have to leave at (time that's a few minutes early)." And then keep an eye on your watch and leave then.

If you are a couple minutes late, just explain that you had back-to-back interviews. They'll understand. It happens.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:12 pm

Anyone else get an email from Ropes & Gray requesting an interview at the D.C. office (for NYC) during EIW?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:49 pm

leakerman, any word on writing comp. results?

joefresh

New

Post by joefresh » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:02 pm

Let's say you grabbed 2 interviews today. If you cancelled one of the ones you picked up, would that allow you to browse the available ones again?

Just looking for the best strategy here.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

student4714

New

Post by student4714 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:09 pm

joefresh wrote:Let's say you grabbed 2 interviews today. If you cancelled one of the ones you picked up, would that allow you to browse the available ones again?

yea that would cancel out the one you picked up and you would be able to browse again. That being said there is the chance that the one you drop gets picked up and there are no available times for you to add. (this doesnt matter if you really dont want it)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:29 pm

student4714 wrote:
joefresh wrote:Let's say you grabbed 2 interviews today. If you cancelled one of the ones you picked up, would that allow you to browse the available ones again?

yea that would cancel out the one you picked up and you would be able to browse again. That being said there is the chance that the one you drop gets picked up and there are no available times for you to add. (this doesnt matter if you really dont want it)
does that work for interviews we got through the lottery as well? like, if I already picked up two since noon, can I drop one that I already had to add a third?

Throwaonetwothree

New

Post by Throwaonetwothree » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:33 pm

student4714 wrote:

From what I've seen though, it seems once you select two firms for the day, you cannot see which other firms are available through add/drop. Is that the case? Or is it just a coincidence that firms appear to be unavailable?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
student4714 wrote:

does that work for interviews we got through the lottery as well? like, if I already picked up two since noon, can I drop one that I already had to add a third?
I haven't tried that, but i don't think that would work. Also, if it doesn't work then you lost a screener. (Again, if you really don't want the screener you got it doesn't hurt to drop it and try)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

student4714

New

Post by student4714 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:35 pm

Throwaonetwothree wrote:
student4714 wrote:

From what I've seen though, it seems once you select two firms for the day, you cannot see which other firms are available through add/drop. Is that the case? Or is it just a coincidence that firms appear to be unavailable?
bump- if this is the case, definitely something that would be important to know

ladybug1989

Bronze

Post by ladybug1989 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:39 pm

Yes. If you added 2 firms you can no longer see grey boxes until 24 hours after the first interview you added. However, if you decide to drop one of the add-ons, you can again see the grey boxes of available slots.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
student4714 wrote:

I haven't tried that, but i don't think that would work. Also, if it doesn't work then you lost a screener. (Again, if you really don't want the screener you got it doesn't hurt to drop it and try)
I decided I def didn't want the screener, so I dropped it. In case anyone else was wondering - no, that did not let me add another.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:40 am

diffn't anon. Will an email notice about transfer journal results go out, or is it only on the website?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”