GULC EIW 2017 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: GULC EIW 2017

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:20 am

buckiguy_sucks wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
buckiguy_sucks wrote:
there is literally zero reason to not use all fifty bids
Considering the GPA, he/she is likely trying to avoid being pre-selected by lower bids, which would count against interview # cap before lottery process even runs... Smart move to limit bids in this scenario.
OP is going to get preselected by literally every firm they bid? That's dumb. Low GPA firms don't preselect high GPA people they know aren't going to go to their firm, and high GPA firms have plenty of 3.8 candidates interviewing with them. The more firms you bid the more opportunities you have to reach out when you don't get in front of them at EIW and try to get an outside interview. OP could be a terrible interviewer and not know it, people with high GPAs strike out. Maximizing interviews is always the move.
Same anon. You said there was "literally zero reason" so I was simply provided one rational explanation for the strategy. At 3.8x, yes, there is a significant risk of being preselected by lower bid firms [most firms won't know what # you bid them, so any firm may rationally assume a bidder is genuinely interested in their firm even if typically outside their GPA target range]. And yes, you can hit your interview # cap -- or a big piece of it -- even before the lottery runs and miss out on your carefully bid "Top 10" altogether.

You may disagree, but that doesn't mean it's "dumb"... Besides, with hospitality suites and mass-mailing, OP could pick up additional screeners as needed. He/she already indicated they had done so independently in the OP.

ETA: Scooped by PotatoSalad's post with supporting data. Always interesting to break down the bid data and to compare shifts in firm preferences from year-to-year

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:38 am

Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:12 pm

OP here (from the 25 bid scenario above -- in retrospect I should've given myself an identifier but oops). Appreciate the help! I didn't do the math there about the top 10 bids so that's super helpful, thanks. One reason I'm not using all 50 bids (beyond following advice from OCS and the TLS thread from last year) is that I'm pretty sure I'll have an offer going into EIW, so I'm not super worried about striking out completely.

Also re: foley hoag I read a NY Times article about them a few years ago and it was one reason I wanted to go to law school, so there's some nostalgia going on there

SubmedianHomeskAlien

New

Post by SubmedianHomeskAlien » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:06 pm

So Chadbourne is dead and I didn't notice until after my bids were locked in. Kewl!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote: One reason I'm not using all 50 bids (beyond following advice from OCS and the TLS thread from last year) is that I'm pretty sure I'll have an offer going into EIW, so I'm not super worried about striking out completely.
If you have an offer, I think it makes sense to only bid for firms you'd prefer to the offer in hand. If not, you might want to use more bids. You can always drop interview slots during add/drop if you get a pre-EIW offer. (And, to anyone who has a pre-EIW offer, you should drop interviews at places you don't want to work; let someone else take the slot).

I had grades a little lower than yours (around a 3.7x) and used like 30-something bids. I also picked up some shadow schedule interviews and some open sign-up interviews. At the end of the day, I would have been happy to do fewer screeners. I ended up cancelling callbacks. However, I didn't have an offer going in to interviews, and I know people with good grades who struck out or who had a very small number of callbacks. It's better to be cancelling callbacks once you get offer(s) you're excited about than to be scrambling.

Also, from what I understand, Hogan and Latham should be higher up if you want transactional. Also, they should be ranked FIRST if you want an interview. (I heard only people who ranked Hogan/Latham first won the lottery and some people who put them first still lost.) But I interviewed focused on lit, so maybe someone who does transactional work can speak better to that.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:57 am

anyone know how transfers do?

Heisenbyrd

New

Post by Heisenbyrd » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:anyone know how transfers do?
Depends on your previous school tier; your GPA should be adjusted anywhere from -.1 to median, depending on your school's rank.

I'm coming from the top of the class at a mid-T2 and have a callback with a V10 in NY next week. It would be such a relief to go into the process with an offer.

I've heard that, for transfers, it helps a lot to have solid experience/internships/extracurriculars, so the success of the process somewhat depends on the additional qualifications you bring to the table. I came into this process with a few years of biglaw experience as a paralegal, and DOJ litigation internship over the summer. We'll see if that helps.

Carlton_Banks

New

Post by Carlton_Banks » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:41 am

Anyone have the inside track on when write-on results will be out? Should I expect next Friday?

drich88

New

Post by drich88 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:31 am

Carlton_Banks wrote:Anyone have the inside track on when write-on results will be out? Should I expect next Friday?
Last year they came out on the 22nd from what I can tell, but it doesn't look like today will be the day. Hoping for next week

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:44 am

Scores for your personal statements aren't due until the 24th, and then we have to do the math of looking at who ranked our journals and figuring out how many people we want. I would say end of next week at the earliest, but our official schedule says "late July/early August: Write On results announced" so don't hold your breath.

Carlton_Banks

New

Post by Carlton_Banks » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Scores for your personal statements aren't due until the 24th, and then we have to do the math of looking at who ranked our journals and figuring out how many people we want. I would say end of next week at the earliest, but our official schedule says "late July/early August: Write On results announced" so don't hold your breath.
Awesome, thanks much for the info. Everything at this center of law moves at a snail's pace so I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't receive word until the day before OCI.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:27 pm

Carlton_Banks wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Scores for your personal statements aren't due until the 24th, and then we have to do the math of looking at who ranked our journals and figuring out how many people we want. I would say end of next week at the earliest, but our official schedule says "late July/early August: Write On results announced" so don't hold your breath.
Awesome, thanks much for the info. Everything at this center of law moves at a snail's pace so I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't receive word until the day before OCI.
Same anon - I would guess it will be some time the week before EIW starts. OJA has to do the calculation of grades/write-on score/statement score for each journal once they get all the scores, and then we (EICs) have to determine what cutoff score we will accept, then they have to run the actual results. It is, in true GULC admin fashion, an overly complicated process. I'm pretty sure they will have it done before EIW though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:45 pm

Bummed Kirkland Palo Alto/SF was canceled. Would have reorganized my bids had I known.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

WhiskeyAndCupcakes

Silver

Post by WhiskeyAndCupcakes » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:54 am

Rising 2Ls, don't worry about journal results too much. Just enjoy these next couple weeks.

VERY FEW firms care that much about your journal. If you are on main journal and your grades are "meh," then it may help marginally. If you're gunning for W&C, it may help a little (though they definitely seem to care about grades/fit more than journal membership).

Besides that, enjoy the last week or two of your 1L gig, email firms for interviews, etc. Journal membership isn't nearly as meaningful as GPA for interviews, and it certainly isn't a reason to second-guess your bidding strategy.

Carlton_Banks

New

Post by Carlton_Banks » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:00 pm

WhiskeyAndCupcakes wrote:
VERY FEW firms care that much about your journal.
Whether that's true or not, of the few pre-OCI interviews I've had for lit roles, each had someone ask about writing experience and write-on. If I'm competing against a person who is indistinguishable from me but for journal membership status, I'd rather be the one with that line on my resume.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:51 am

Two things:
1) Do we know when today schedules will be available? yesterday's "road to hell" email didn't say and if anyone's got info i'd rather not spend the day refreshing anxiously (...any more than I already have)
and
2) did anyone get an email from shearman & sterling last night with an invitation for a cocktail reception? what's their deal? (ps- it's safe to assume that an interview with a firm you bid SUPER low (like 45+) is definitely a preselect, yeah?)

Bronze

Post by 20171203 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:Two things:
1) Do we know when today schedules will be available? yesterday's "road to hell" email didn't say and if anyone's got info i'd rather not spend the day refreshing anxiously (...any more than I already have)
and
2) did anyone get an email from shearman & sterling last night with an invitation for a cocktail reception? what's their deal? (ps- it's safe to assume that an interview with a firm you bid SUPER low (like 45+) is definitely a preselect, yeah?)
1) No we do not know. Last year it was around noon but their road to EIW email also said it would be noon last year (see 2016 thread).
2) I bid them 49 and did not get this so most likely a preselect for you! Past years' threads indicate they do events such as that for people they are interviewing.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:19 pm

and
Are you sure it's coming out today? I know the Georgetown OCS website states that the open cancellation period begins today, but symplicity states that cancellations begin on the 28th?

As to your second question, you definitely got a Sherman interview, and I think any interviews you bid past #30 is a pre-select.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
and
Are you sure it's coming out today? I know the Georgetown OCS website states that the open cancellation period begins today, but symplicity states that cancellations begin on the 28th?

As to your second question, you definitely got a Sherman interview, and I think any interviews you bid past #30 is a pre-select.
I mean, they said they'd come out today, but I wouldn't exactly bet the house on the reliability of ocs...
Road to EIW Newsletter - July 24, 2017 wrote:As reminder, the EIW schedules will be released tomorrow, July 25th!
and yeah i figured that meant I had an interview - but like... what's up with a reception for all interviewees? is it like some sort of performatory group interview nightmare? or are we supposed to believe that they actually want to meet us? it's just the absolute last thing I'm going to want to do after day 1 of eiw, and I wholeheartedly believe that non-attendance is not an option. thoughts?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
and

I mean, they said they'd come out today, but I wouldn't exactly bet the house on the reliability of ocs...
Road to EIW Newsletter - July 24, 2017 wrote:As reminder, the EIW schedules will be released tomorrow, July 25th!
and yeah i figured that meant I had an interview - but like... what's up with a reception for all interviewees? is it like some sort of performatory group interview nightmare? or are we supposed to believe that they actually want to meet us? it's just the absolute last thing I'm going to want to do after day 1 of eiw, and I wholeheartedly believe that non-attendance is not an option. thoughts?
I'm the anon you quoted. You should definitely go. I have a friend who interviewed them last year and didn't go to the reception and got dinged. Of course, it could have been for other reasons, but I'm positive they keep track of people attending. When you arrive at these receptions they normally give name tags and recruiting takes attendance. I wouldn't want to go either, but even if you go for 30 minutes, talk to one attorney and have 1 drink you'll be fine.

WhiskeyAndCupcakes

Silver

Post by WhiskeyAndCupcakes » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:19 pm

In general, some firms do receptions, dinners, etc. for people they are interviewing (or, at a few places, for people they are extending callbacks to). I would go to receptions. They are a chance to chat with some attorneys and, by the point people may be bringing you back for a callback, I think they could actually help. They allow you to (a) show interest and (b) if someone really likes you, they may pass that info along. EIW receptions are part of the interview process. At the very least, show up to demonstrate interest in the firm.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Carlton_Banks

New

Post by Carlton_Banks » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:33 pm

Last edited by Carlton_Banks on Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:38 pm

Write on results should be released this Friday barring any delays from delinquent EICs.

Throwaonetwothree

New

Post by Throwaonetwothree » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:54 pm

Carlton_Banks wrote:Bid 30, got 16. 7 of my top 10, and I'm confident that I got at least 5 or 6 pre-selects from the bottom of my list. Now all there is to do is wait for write-on.
Which market(s) did you bid?

Carlton_Banks

New

Post by Carlton_Banks » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:02 pm

Last edited by Carlton_Banks on Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”