GULC EIW 2017 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Throwaonetwothree

New

Re: GULC EIW 2017

Post by Throwaonetwothree » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:09 pm

Carlton_Banks wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Write on results should be released this Friday barring any delays from delinquent EICs.
Awesome. Doubt I'll be happy with the results, but I appreciate the info.
Throwaonetwothree wrote: Which market(s) did you bid?
40% DC , 40% NY, and 20% Midwest.
How'd that translate into screeners received? Mostly from NYC? Midwest? Even mix of all?

Carlton_Banks

New

Post by Carlton_Banks » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:13 pm

Throwaonetwothree wrote: How'd that translate into screeners received? Mostly from NYC? Midwest? Even mix of all?
Pretty representative of my bidding.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:58 pm

Got an interview with NYC Jones Day after bidding them at 12 as a reach. Honestly, I didn't think I would get an interview given the firms popularity. I have a 3.38, does anyone know if I am below their floor? (No GULC data on Jones Day NYC, Jones Day Washington DC Median is a 3.5+)

Mr. Blackacre

Bronze

Post by Mr. Blackacre » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got an interview with NYC Jones Day after bidding them at 12 as a reach. Honestly, I didn't think I would get an interview given the firms popularity. I have a 3.38, does anyone know if I am below their floor? (No GULC data on Jones Day NYC, Jones Day Washington DC Median is a 3.5+)
Couple of things:
- 2 years ago, median for JD DC was only 3.45 - I think it fluctuates more than you'd think
- Anecdotal info + data from other schools suggests the NY office has slightly lower standards than the DC office
- JD sucks. It is very possible that they call back people with high gpa, bumping up their median, but that the high-gpa people accept other offers.

Long story short, you're definitely not below their floor. If that's what you want, you could definitely get a callback.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:08 pm

Would anyone be interested in compiling a list of the firms you missed out on and your rank of bids? With enough data points we could probably piece together which firms used a preselect on you.

For example, say Hogan DC said no to me at 7, but you bid them 10 and got an interview, then you'd know you were preselected. (I made that up. Didn't bid Hogan DC)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Would anyone be interested in compiling a list of the firms you missed out on and your rank of bids? With enough data points we could probably piece together which firms used a preselect on you.

For example, say Hogan DC said no to me at 7, but you bid them 10 and got an interview, then you'd know you were preselected. (I made that up. Didn't bid Hogan DC)
That sounds like a lot of effort for a very low return... At a lot of firms, your interviewer won't know if you were preselected, so it doesn't impact much at all. And even if it did - how would that change your behavior? Are you not going to prepare as much for a preselect interview?
I get the "but I really wanna know" feeling... but this seems a bit extreme.

WhiskeyAndCupcakes

Silver

Post by WhiskeyAndCupcakes » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Would anyone be interested in compiling a list of the firms you missed out on and your rank of bids? With enough data points we could probably piece together which firms used a preselect on you.

That sounds like a lot of effort for a very low return... At a lot of firms, your interviewer won't know if you were preselected, so it doesn't impact much at all. And even if it did - how would that change your behavior? Are you not going to prepare as much for a preselect interview?
Yeah, this seems unnecessary. And there is no reason to treat preselects differently. The person who goes through the resumes to pick preselects is not necessarily the one who makes hiring final decisions. And, as long as you meet a firm's general grade requirements, the interview is more important than the only-on-paper selection process. You shouldn't be over confident if you were preselected. And you certainly shouldn't be disappointed if you were not. Just research the firms, be prepared, and focus on interviewing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:11 pm

WhiskeyAndCupcakes wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yeah, this seems unnecessary. And there is no reason to treat preselects differently. The person who goes through the resumes to pick preselects is not necessarily the one who makes hiring final decisions. And, as long as you meet a firm's general grade requirements, the interview is more important than the only-on-paper selection process. You shouldn't be over confident if you were preselected. And you certainly shouldn't be disappointed if you were not. Just research the firms, be prepared, and focus on interviewing.
It also wouldn't be an exact science because if you miss out on any given bid, your next bid moves up. For example, if you bid Latham DC #1, but by the time the lottery gets to you, Latham DC is maxed out, your #2 becomes your number one and so on.

RomaLaw

New

Post by RomaLaw » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:05 am

Agree that it's not worth trying to figure out pre-selects, it's just pretty lame that Georgetown doesn't disclose. Like honestly, is anyone going to go into an interview and act like a douche just because they weren't pre-selected?

Anyways, does anyone know much about ghost interviews? Do most firms conduct them, how many, etc. It would be interesting to know whether something on your resume really sparked their interest, or if they just contact all their pre-selects so they have a deeper pool.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:45 am

Some (but I wouldn't necessarily say most) firms do additional interview schedules. Some do the interviews in another hotel room they booked; some do them in their offices; some do them in the hospitality suite after interviews wrap up for the day. The number depends on the firm. I'd guess most firms with side schedules bring in about 10-20 people, though some may have more.

You may get emails from recruiters saying that they would like to interview you. Grades help in getting invitations for side schedules, though I am not sure exactly how firms select people.

With that said, it can't hurt to proactively email the firms that you bid but didn't match for an interview with. Reiterate your interest/ let them know you'd love to interview with them. A follow-up email can convert into an interview if the firm is interested.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:27 pm

I bid put Orrick NY in my 18th slot. Did anyone get them and bid lower or higher?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I bid put Orrick NY in my 18th slot. Did anyone get them and bid lower or higher?
I got them in the low 20s.

student4714

New

Post by student4714 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:Write on results should be released this Friday barring any delays from delinquent EICs.
Any idea's what time this is happening today? (if it is) Is it usually a call or email?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:15 am

I only got 7 screeners and definitely feel like the lottery was not kind this year. I did hours of research in constructing my bid list but still missed on some pretty sure fire bids in years past (Schulte, NY at #7, Paul Hastings, NY at #8, Linklaters, NY at #9, etc.). Here is to camping out on open sign-up to push that up to at least 10-12 screeners.

gulc2019

New

Post by gulc2019 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:I only got 7 screeners and definitely feel like the lottery was not kind this year. I did hours of research in constructing my bid list but still missed on some pretty sure fire bids in years past (Schulte, NY at #7, Paul Hastings, NY at #8, Linklaters, NY at #9, etc.). Here is to camping out on open sign-up to push that up to at least 10-12 screeners.
How many did you bid on?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:33 am

gulc2019 wrote:How many did you bid on?
Same anon, I used all 50 bids and did mostly NY, sprinkled in some secondaries towards the bottom.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:37 am

LEAK: Journal results are finalized. Expect an email between 1 and 2 pm today.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Carlton_Banks

New

Post by Carlton_Banks » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:LEAK: Journal results are finalized. Expect an email between 1 and 2 pm today.
Thanks, Reince.
Anonymous User wrote:
gulc2019 wrote:How many did you bid on?
Same anon, I used all 50 bids and did mostly NY, sprinkled in some secondaries towards the bottom.
Approx. class rank?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:58 am

Carlton_Banks wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:LEAK: Journal results are finalized. Expect an email between 1 and 2 pm today.
Thanks, Reince.
I see myself as more of a Jim Comey kind of leaker.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:07 am

Carlton_Banks wrote:Approx. class rank?
Slightly below median so not too surprised by the lack of screeners.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:48 am

Use open sign up, email firms, go to hospitality suites. I think I got about 10 from the lottery and was able to double that number. 5-6 were from open sign up. The number you get from the lottery is just a starting point.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Carlton_Banks wrote:
Thanks, Reince.
I see myself as more of a Jim Comey kind of leaker.
Girl you are no Comey

Carlton_Banks

New

Post by Carlton_Banks » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:09 pm

The leaks weren't fake news. Matches are up.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:15 pm

Don't see matches up and no email

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:16 pm

What exactly do Journal office hours entail?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”