UVA Law OGI 2017 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: UVA Law OGI 2017

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:This whole process has been shit.
Yeah it's not the best but we're almost there. Keep your head up!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:57 pm

Anyone with a no offer?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone with a no offer?
Yup.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:04 pm

I don't have an offer and most of my close friends don't either (below and well above median). I think there are a lot of people in our position, but they don't talk about it so you only hear about the folks who are doing well. It's been pretty discouraging, honestly.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I don't have an offer and most of my close friends don't either (below and well above median). I think there are a lot of people in our position, but they don't talk about it so you only hear about the folks who are doing well. It's been pretty discouraging, honestly.
yeah it hurts and it's frustrating because I'm elated for my friends that are doing well..but being around them just makes it all harder to deal with

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:29 pm

I just declined a few offers in NY. I know some other people holding onto multiple offers that will be declining then today. Hopefully this helps those without offers yet. Don't give up!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:00 pm

I got a callback today from an OGI screener two weeks ago. Some firms move slowly and this process goes until late the fall sometimes. Don't lose hope!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I got a callback today from an OGI screener two weeks ago. Some firms move slowly and this process goes until late the fall sometimes. Don't lose hope!
This is very encouraging at this time. I only had one CB and was rejected. It's frustrating and it's nice to see that there are many people who are in the similar situation.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:18 pm

below median. got offer in dc/ny. dont give up.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:below median. got offer in dc/ny. dont give up.
Where?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:57 pm

I know this process is draining everyone, but just remember this is still early in hiring, even if there is seemingly a ton of movement already. If you have something you're excited about lined up, congrats! Seriously, every time someone tells me about the offers they have, I'm so incredibly excited for them.

Alternatively, if you're still in the thick of the search like most of us are, all you can do is keep pushing through, exploring markets you hadn't considered before, and hitting every possible firm in those markets for consideration. It's tough to see right now, but there's a good reason 75%+ of classes at UVA end up in desirable private sector employment. You have so much positive to bring to a law firm, and you'll find that right fit if you keep your energy up, your confidence up, and your positivity up.

If you ever need a small vote of reaffirmation, you can find it among us.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know this process is draining everyone, but just remember this is still early in hiring, even if there is seemingly a ton of movement already. If you have something you're excited about lined up, congrats! Seriously, every time someone tells me about the offers they have, I'm so incredibly excited for them.

Alternatively, if you're still in the thick of the search like most of us are, all you can do is keep pushing through, exploring markets you hadn't considered before, and hitting every possible firm in those markets for consideration. It's tough to see right now, but there's a good reason 75%+ of classes at UVA end up in desirable private sector employment. You have so much positive to bring to a law firm, and you'll find that right fit if you keep your energy up, your confidence up, and your positivity up.

You sound like career services lol thank you for the encouragement!!!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I know this process is draining everyone, but just remember this is still early in hiring, even if there is seemingly a ton of movement already. If you have something you're excited about lined up, congrats! Seriously, every time someone tells me about the offers they have, I'm so incredibly excited for them.

You sound like career services lol thank you for the encouragement!!!
Original Anon, but if it helps, I recently accepted an offer and turned down offers/CBs in the DC area. I've communicated with OCS on every one of those opportunities I've turned down to this point, and hopefully they will keep working to push our heavily DC-focused class into jobs. I want the best for everyone still hunting!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:13 am

Where are all the West Coast folks? We never got CA/WA coverage. Where is everyone?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
yeah it hurts and it's frustrating because I'm elated for my friends that are doing well..but being around them just makes it all harder to deal with
Well above median here. Currently no offer. I agree with this... I want everyone to do well, but every job someone gets (in a market I'm targeting) is one less job for me. I would be a lot happier for my friends if I knew I had SOMETHING to fall back on. The process has been incredibly discouraging. I suppose the key now is to hustle as hard as possible, given that there is going to be another big push for callbacks and offers across the board after 28 days expire. It's hard staying optimistic.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Well above median here. Currently no offer. I agree with this... I want everyone to do well, but every job someone gets (in a market I'm targeting) is one less job for me. I would be a lot happier for my friends if I knew I had SOMETHING to fall back on. The process has been incredibly discouraging. I suppose the key now is to hustle as hard as possible, given that there is going to be another big push for callbacks and offers across the board after 28 days expire. It's hard staying optimistic.
What does "well above median" usually mean?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
What does "well above median" usually mean?
I'm not the poster who claims to be "well above median", but generally I think of "way above median" as 3.5-ish. I think once you get higher than that, it starts to make sense to use the rough cutoffs from Ruth Payne's fuckup. E.g. 3.72= top 10%, 3.62= top 20%, etc. Of course, those are after a bit of grade inflation, but you get the picture.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:48 pm

What percentage of the class has accepted an offer at this point? Wish CSO was more transparent regarding the results of OGI as they come out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:51 pm

That's probably by design, but I get the frustration.

I accepted a position last week and I'm currently considering splitting the summer.

No one here can provide percentages like you want, so what exactly are you hoping for?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:That's probably by design, but I get the frustration.

I accepted a position last week and I'm currently considering splitting the summer.

No one here can provide percentages like you want, so what exactly are you hoping for?
Grapevine news. Information is power.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:28 am

Looks like I'm about to strike out. Anyone else in the same boat?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:Looks like I'm about to strike out. Anyone else in the same boat?
Yeah

probably striking out with just under a 3.6

such is life; so it goes

made too many mistakes through the process

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Looks like I'm about to strike out. Anyone else in the same boat?
Yeah

probably striking out with just under a 3.6

such is life; so it goes

made too many mistakes through the process
What kind of mistakes, if you feel up to sharing?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:43 pm

Ditto. Career services said to just mass mail, but that seems pretty ineffective at this point. Any idea how screwed we are?

Can't believe I turned down full rides at other schools to come here at sticker now...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What percentage of the class has accepted an offer at this point? Wish CSO was more transparent regarding the results of OGI as they come out.
Based on a ridiculously low sample size, I'd say no more than like 25% have accepted offers. I've accepted an offer but for every person I know who has accepted an offer I know like 3 who are mulling their options

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”