Michigan OCI 2017

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 302777
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Michigan OCI 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:12 pm

.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302777
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Michigan OCI 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:anyone still offering advice regarding this?


If you're interested in commercial lit, you should bid Hogan Lovells DC, and not NY. The powerhouse is in the DC office for lit for sure.

I would keep MoFo, Akin, Allen & Overy, APKS. I would move down or delete Cadwalader and Cahill. Cadwalader's lit group is not that big, and same for Cahill. Both are "wall street" firms. I would move up Willkie Farr.

Keep in mind that a lot of the firms you listed toward the bottom are hard reaches. For example, it's nearly impossible to get DPW with median (they're pretty strict on not taking anyone below 3.5). Same for Debevoise, Paul Weiss, Gibson Dunn, and Latham & Watkins. And if you really want to practice lit/intl arb, and you're fine with having hard reaches, you should just include Covington too and see how it plays out.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302777
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Michigan OCI 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:anyone still offering advice regarding this?

I gave some critiques earlier. Don't have time to do a full rundown, but I'd note a few things:

When I did OCI two years ago, Proskauer had to be bid in the top 5-10 in order to get it. The ratio of bids & interest to interview slots was very high. Unless they started bringing more people, putting them at 30 seems like a wasted bid.

You should also bid Jones NY and Mayer NY high. They got a ton of interest from the median in my year.

I think you can move Weil and Gibson down. I bid them pretty low and still got a screener. Again, this depends on the number of slots they're offering this year, which I'm not privy to... but I suspect you can put them lower.

I wouldn't bid an SF firm at #4. That's just too high for an office where you're a real long shot.

What does "basically median" mean numerically? If it means what I think it does, I would not bother with DPW or Paul Weiss. It's very rare for them to take a median student from Michigan. That's true about Latham and Gibson as well.

You should probably add some of the lower-GPA firms instead... Morgan Lewis, etc. The current bid list looks very capable of striking out if your GPA is 3.3-something...

Anonymous User
Posts: 302777
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Michigan OCI 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:45 pm

.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302777
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Michigan OCI 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:50 pm

Looking for advice: ~3.6, no journal, exclusively bidding NYC. Leaning litigation very strongly. Certain firms V20 and above are off my list because of early interviews, so I don't need any suggestions about additions in that range. Any help would be much appreciated!

1. Milbank
2. Proskauer
3. Kirkland
4. Gibson
5. Cleary
6. Wilmer
7. Cahill
8. Jones Day
9. Willkie
10. Cravath
11. Sullivan & Cromwell
12. Morrison & Foerster
13. White & Case
14. Akin Gump
15. Kramer Levin
16. Shearman & Sterling
17. Freshfields
18. O'Melveny
19. Mayer Brown
20. Goodwin
21. Fried Frank
22. Hogan Lovells
23. Arnold & Porter
25. Paul Hastings
26. Axinn Veltrop
27. Baker McKenzie
28. Greenberg Traurig
29. Linklaters
30. Allen & Overy

Anonymous User
Posts: 302777
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Michigan OCI 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:28 pm

Why Milbank @ 1 given interest in lit? WilmerHale (V23 so...) seems like a logical addition. Feel like you're gonna wanna bid Hogan a bit higher. Does Baker McKenzie hire people in NYC?

Anonymous User wrote:Looking for advice: ~3.6, no journal, exclusively bidding NYC. Leaning litigation very strongly. Certain firms V20 and above are off my list because of early interviews, so I don't need any suggestions about additions in that range. Any help would be much appreciated!

1. Milbank
2. Proskauer
3. Kirkland
4. Gibson
5. Cleary
6. Wilmer
7. Cahill
8. Jones Day
9. Willkie
10. Cravath
11. Sullivan & Cromwell
12. Morrison & Foerster
13. White & Case
14. Akin Gump
15. Kramer Levin
16. Shearman & Sterling
17. Freshfields
18. O'Melveny
19. Mayer Brown
20. Goodwin
21. Fried Frank
22. Hogan Lovells
23. Arnold & Porter
25. Paul Hastings
26. Axinn Veltrop
27. Baker McKenzie
28. Greenberg Traurig
29. Linklaters
30. Allen & Overy

Anonymous User
Posts: 302777
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Michigan OCI 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Looking for advice: ~3.6, no journal, exclusively bidding NYC. Leaning litigation very strongly. Certain firms V20 and above are off my list because of early interviews, so I don't need any suggestions about additions in that range. Any help would be much appreciated!

1. Milbank
2. Proskauer
3. Kirkland
4. Gibson
5. Cleary
6. Wilmer
7. Cahill
8. Jones Day
9. Willkie
10. Cravath
11. Sullivan & Cromwell
12. Morrison & Foerster
13. White & Case
14. Akin Gump
15. Kramer Levin
16. Shearman & Sterling
17. Freshfields
18. O'Melveny
19. Mayer Brown
20. Goodwin
21. Fried Frank
22. Hogan Lovells
23. Arnold & Porter
25. Paul Hastings
26. Axinn Veltrop
27. Baker McKenzie
28. Greenberg Traurig
29. Linklaters
30. Allen & Overy


I don't know anything about what firms are strong in lit, so can only opine on your ordering. But with only 21 interview slots, Cahill is almost assuredly too low and is a wasted bid at 7. Also, I don't think Proskauer needs to be that high.

It is further down your list where it becomes difficult to get interviews, so these firms are likely not high priority, but Mayer Brown is way too low, and Shearman is likely several slots too low, as well.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302777
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Michigan OCI 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:11 pm

Looking for advice: GPA slightly below median (between 3.2~3.3). Interested in corporate work (M&A, Tax, Insurance), bidding NY exclusively.

1. Schulte
2. Cahill
3. Clifford
4. Hughes Hubbard
5. Greenburg
6. Seward
7. O'Melveny
8. Nixon Peabody
9. Morgan Lewis
10. Mayer Brown
11. Milbank
12. Weil
13. Dechert
14. Wilkie Farr
15. Goodwin
16. Shearman & Sterling
17. Hogan Lovells
18. Cadwalader
19. White & Case
20. Freshfields
21. Jones Day
22. Arnold Porter
23. Cooley
25. Kramer
26. Linklaters
27. Winston
28. Strook
29. Bryan Cave
30. Baker Mckenzie

Thanks!

Anonymous User
Posts: 302777
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Michigan OCI 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:Looking for advice: GPA slightly below median (between 3.2~3.3). Interested in corporate work (M&A, Tax, Insurance), bidding NY exclusively.

1. Schulte
2. Cahill
3. Clifford
4. Hughes Hubbard
5. Greenburg
6. Seward
7. O'Melveny
8. Nixon Peabody
9. Morgan Lewis
10. Mayer Brown
11. Milbank
12. Weil
13. Dechert
14. Wilkie Farr
15. Goodwin
16. Shearman & Sterling
17. Hogan Lovells
18. Cadwalader
19. White & Case
20. Freshfields
21. Jones Day
22. Arnold Porter
23. Cooley
25. Kramer
26. Linklaters
27. Winston
28. Strook
29. Bryan Cave
30. Baker Mckenzie

Thanks!

I haven't gone over this with a fine-toothed comb, but as a general matter, this is roughly what a below-median list should look like.

Associate
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:04 pm

Re: Michigan OCI 2017

Postby Associate » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:52 am

Transfer student checking in. No GPA and weird former grading system. I calculate I have the equivalent of an A- average, if that helps. OCP said I should bid conservatively. Would love some feedback on my list - not sure if this is conservative enough. Could probably free up some space towards the end of the list! FWIW I'm targeting NYC, have very strong ties to Boston (did a mock interview at Ropes recently), and lesser ties to London. Transactional focused (project / corporate finance, hedge funds, PE).

Milbank Tweed
Clifford Chance
O'Melveny
Allen & Overy (London)
Seward & Kissel
Nixon Peabody
Freshfields (NYC / London)
SRZ
Morgan Lewis
Mayer Brown
White & Case
Hogan Lovells
Ropes & Gray (Boston)
Arnold & Porter Kaye Scholer
Weil Gotshal
Vinson & Elkins
Jones Day
MoFo
Linklaters (NYC / London)
Allen & Overy
Goodwin (Boston)
Fried Frank
Shearman
Paul Hastings
Latham
Sidley Austin
Gibson Dunn
DPW
Skadden
Cravath

--

Thank you!

Anonymous User
Posts: 302777
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Michigan OCI 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:18 am

Look for advice too! Slightly below median grades (3.2-3.3). Interested in lit, but open to any other options. Target at predominantly NYC.

Sidley (NY)
O'Melvery (NY)
K&L Gates (Chi)
Baker McKenzie (Chi)
Mayer Brown (NY)
Morgan Lewis (NY)
Jones Day (NY)
Greenberg (NY)
Hogan Lovells (NY)
MoFo (NY)
Weil (NY)
Goodwin (NY)
Milbank (NY)
Wilkie Farr (NY)
Baker Botts (NY)
Winston & Strawn
Locke Lord (Chi)
Cooley (NY)
Clifford Chance (NY)
Allen & Overy
Linklaters
Katten Muchin (Chi)(*I'm debating whether I should bid on this)
Cadwalader
Pillsbury
Alston Bird
White & Case (NY)
Nixon Peabody
Foley Lardner
Schulte
Latham Watkins

Anonymous User
Posts: 302777
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Michigan OCI 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:26 am

Associate wrote:Transfer student checking in. No GPA and weird former grading system. I calculate I have the equivalent of an A- average, if that helps. OCP said I should bid conservatively. Would love some feedback on my list - not sure if this is conservative enough. Could probably free up some space towards the end of the list! FWIW I'm targeting NYC, have very strong ties to Boston (did a mock interview at Ropes recently), and lesser ties to London. Transactional focused (project / corporate finance, hedge funds, PE).

Milbank Tweed
Clifford Chance
O'Melveny
Allen & Overy (London)
Seward & Kissel
Nixon Peabody
Freshfields (NYC / London)
SRZ
Morgan Lewis
Mayer Brown
White & Case
Hogan Lovells
Ropes & Gray (Boston)
Arnold & Porter Kaye Scholer
Weil Gotshal
Vinson & Elkins
Jones Day
MoFo
Linklaters (NYC / London)
Allen & Overy
Goodwin (Boston)
Fried Frank
Shearman
Paul Hastings
Latham
Sidley Austin
Gibson Dunn
DPW
Skadden
Cravath

--

Thank you!

You probably don't need to be told that Cravath, Skadden, DPW, Gibson, Sidely, and Latham are probably not going to happen. I would definitely eliminate the first three of those immediately. An A- average from a below-peer school is just not going to meet the cutoff in all likelihood. The latter three are reaches, but not impossible, and two of them have hired a transfer from Mich in recent years.

I don't know anything about London personally, but TLS is replete with stories of how difficult it is for an American to snag a London SA. There are Brits who come to good American law schools and strike out there.

Also, note that these Boston offices have summer classes that are typically a fraction of the size of NYC classes.

With that said, you can afford to have a few reaches. Your GPA/transfer situation is a wildcard. Replace the bottom 3 on this list with median-GPA sort of NYC offices, and you'll have a good start. I agree that you're not being conservative enough.

Associate
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:04 pm

Re: Michigan OCI 2017

Postby Associate » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:You probably don't need to be told that Cravath, Skadden, DPW, Gibson, Sidely, and Latham are probably not going to happen. I would definitely eliminate the first three of those immediately. An A- average from a below-peer school is just not going to meet the cutoff in all likelihood. The latter three are reaches, but not impossible, and two of them have hired a transfer from Mich in recent years.

I don't know anything about London personally, but TLS is replete with stories of how difficult it is for an American to snag a London SA. There are Brits who come to good American law schools and strike out there.

Also, note that these Boston offices have summer classes that are typically a fraction of the size of NYC classes.

With that said, you can afford to have a few reaches. Your GPA/transfer situation is a wildcard. Replace the bottom 3 on this list with median-GPA sort of NYC offices, and you'll have a good start. I agree that you're not being conservative enough.


Than you for your input! I reworked it a bit. I'm still interested in interviewing with those London offices, and fortunately the Boston firms are familiar with my old school's grading system.

Milbank
Clifford Chance
O'Melveny
SRZ
Seward & Kissel
Nixon Peabody
Freshfields (NYC / London)
Allen & Overy (NYC / London)
Hughes Hubbard
Morgan Lewis
Mayer Brown
White & Case
Hogan Lovells
Willkie
Vinson & Elkins
Goodwin (NYC)
Ropes & Gray (Boston / NYC)
Arnold & Porter Kaye Scholer
Cadwalader
Goodwin (Boston)
Jones Day
Weil Gotshal
MoFo
Linklaters (NYC / London)
Fried Frank
Shearman
Paul Hastings
Latham
Sidley Austin
Gibson Dunn

Anonymous User
Posts: 302777
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Michigan OCI 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:31 pm

That looks a little better to me. In my year you had to bid Jones NY very high, b/c they broke it out separately by office and the NY office took some median GPAs. I don't have access to this year's info, but I would verify what the situation is before you put Jones NY that low. There were people who had them in the top 3 my year.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302777
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Michigan OCI 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:That looks a little better to me. In my year you had to bid Jones NY very high, b/c they broke it out separately by office and the NY office took some median GPAs. I don't have access to this year's info, but I would verify what the situation is before you put Jones NY that low. There were people who had them in the top 3 my year.


Rising 2L here: my career advisor told me that Jones Day wants every OCI participant who is interested to be able to interview this year. They have 150+ interview slots.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302777
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Michigan OCI 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:That looks a little better to me. In my year you had to bid Jones NY very high, b/c they broke it out separately by office and the NY office took some median GPAs. I don't have access to this year's info, but I would verify what the situation is before you put Jones NY that low. There were people who had them in the top 3 my year.


Rising 2L here: my career advisor told me that Jones Day wants every OCI participant who is interested to be able to interview this year. They have 150+ interview slots.

In that case, might as well put them dead-last.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302777
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Michigan OCI 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:19 am

Currently refreshing my email, waiting for my interview list.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302777
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Michigan OCI 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:47 am

OCP said they're being released at 5 PM.

Anonymous User wrote:Currently refreshing my email, waiting for my interview list.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302777
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Michigan OCI 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:35 pm

Anyone miss firms in their top 5?

Anonymous User
Posts: 302777
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Michigan OCI 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:40 pm

how do we interpret our results? I got 16/30 firms I bid on. 9 out of my top 10. only 3 out of 20-30. am around median and tried to bid firms in the 3.2-3.4 range for median hires.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302777
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Michigan OCI 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:48 pm

I didn't get one of the firms I listed top 5. I got 15 interviews and handful of them are definite reaches. Are firms usually willing to add people if I emailed them? (I believe I made connections w few I missed by going to the receptions and following up via email)

Anonymous User
Posts: 302777
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Michigan OCI 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:45 pm

17 Screeners. All NYC. Missed:

MoFo at 14
Hogan at 16
Freshfields at 18
O'Melveny at 19
Akin Gump at 20
Arnold and Porter at 21
Ropes at 22
Mayer Brown at 24
Goodwin at 25
Paul Hastings at 26
Baker McKenzie at 28
Greenberg at 29
Allen & Overy at 30

Associate
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:04 pm

Re: Michigan OCI 2017

Postby Associate » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone miss firms in their top 5?


Missed my #3...

Anonymous User
Posts: 302777
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Michigan OCI 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:50 pm

Missed:

Goodwin at 9
Greenberg Traurig (CHI) at 16
Mayer Brown (NY) at 22
Stroock & Stoock at 23
Morgan Lewis & Bockius (NY) at 24

Anonymous User
Posts: 302777
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Michigan OCI 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:37 pm

Missed:

Jones day at 19 (they have 168 slots! how could it happen)
Akin at 20
Sullivan at 29 (well, assume everyone has good grades)
Cravath at 30
some DC firms from 24-28




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.