Cornell 2017 AJF/BOJF/DCJF/OCI Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

How many screeners did you get through lottery?

Poll ended at Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:33 pm

Less than 11
No votes
No votes
15%
8%
15%
31%
No votes
15%
15%
More than 18
No votes

Total votes: 13

Lavitz

Gold

Cornell 2017 AJF/BOJF/DCJF/OCI

Post by Lavitz » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:48 pm

Callbacks Reported (Firm + Office Location):
Akin Gump NYC (JH)
Allen & Overy NYC (MC)
Alston & Bird
Arnold & Porter (DS)
Baker Botts Dallas
Baker Botts Palo Alto (AB)
Blank Rome
Bryan Cave
Cadwalader (JS)
Cahill
Cleary NYC (BD, LD)
Cleary DC
clifford chance NYC (CM, JLM)
Cooley SF (MT)
Cravath
Davis Polk (JP)
Debevoise (JR, JA)
Dechert DC (MJ)
Dechert NYC (BG, SZ)
Dechert Philly
Freshfields
Fried Frank (DS)
Fox Rothschild LA
Greenberg
Haynes and Boone (MM)
Hogan NYC (LS, TH)
Hughes Hubbard (JD)
Hunton & Williams Dallas
Jones Day Chicago
Kirkland NYC (CM & EL)
Latham NYC (DR)
Latham LA (DY)
Latham Century City
Linklaters (AC)
Milbank
Morgan Lewis
Morgan Lewis Philly
Moses & Singer
Norton Rose
Pillsbury
Proskauer Boston
Reed Smith (RSH)
Richards Layton
Ropes & Gray Boston
Ropes & Gray NYC
Schulte (MB, JS)
Seward (JB)
Shearman (LR)
Simpson (RSB)
Simpson DC
Skadden Boston
Steptoe
Stroock
SullCrom (MT & KT)
Vedder Price (SB)
Vinson & Elkins Dallas
Weil NYC (AC)
White & Case DC (EH)
White & Case NYC (GS, JM)
Willkie (KW)
WilmerHale NYC (JH)
WilmerHale DC
WilmerHale Boston
WilmerHale Palo Alto
Winston NYC (RF & JL)

Rejections Reported (Firm + Office Location):
Bryan Cave
Cadwalader (OG)
Cleary DC
clifford chance (JL, AC, MF)
Cooley
Curtis Mallet
Cravath (LE)
Freshfields
Fox Rothschild
Fried Frank (LG)
Holland & Knight (AP)
Jones Day SoCal
Latham (DR)
Milbank
Otterbourg (EW)
Paul Hastings...some CA office, I guess
Paul Hastings DC (JP)
Paul Hastings (NT)
Paul, Wiess (GL)
Schulte
Shearman & Sterling (CL)
Willkie (VO)
WilmerHale DC
White & Case (JM)

Offers Reported:
Allen Overy
Cadwalader
Cahill
Cleary
Cravath
Davis Polk
Debevoise
Dechert
Freshfields
Fried Frank
Gibson Dunn
Kirkland
Latham
Milbank
Proskaeur Boston
Ropes Boston
Schulte
Simpson
SullCrom
Wachtell
Weil
White & Case
WilmerHale Palo Alto

CLS *rising* 2Ls,

AJF is upon you.

This is where you can discuss all things related to the job hunt: bidding, number of screener interviews, success with mass mailing, etc. Use the anon feature if you want to discuss sensitive information (such as your own GPA range) without having anybody figure out who you are from your regular username. Elder Cornellians will check in to give advice. You can post your bidlists here and receive feedback, or you can PM those of us who volunteer to review them. Pros of posting them publicly are that all of us will be able to jump in and help + respond to each other; cons are that there's a chance other students may steal your ideas. That's up to you. But whatever you do, I highly recommend that you run your bidlist by someone who has been through AJF recently and not to rely solely on career services.

When AJF begins, you can use the anon feature to report any callbacks, offers and rejections you get so that other neurotic folks can know what to expect and freak out accordingly. And when you report a CB, note that including the initials of the screener you had can be helpful; different screeners for the same firm may make decisions at different times. I will update the OP with a master list of CBs and rejections as you send them in, so you can check this post to see which firms have given out callbacks already.

Fall Recruiting Timeline: (I'm not sure about some of these dates. Please feel free to correct me)
6/19: AJF/BOJF/DCJF Bidding Opens
6/23: Bidlists Due for AJF/BOJF/DCJF
6/30: Schedules Available for AJF/BOJF/DCJF
7/5: At 12pm EST, Open Slots Available for AJF/BOJF/DCJF (grab these asap)
7/6: Open Slots Close for AJF/BOJF/DCJF
7/13? Resume Review Deadline
7/20? Resume Upload Deadline; Last Day to Cancel Participation in BOJF/DCJF
7/31-8/2: August Job Fair (AJF)
8/3: OCI #1 & #2 Bidding Opens
8/7: Boston Job Fair (BOJF); Bidlists due for OCI #1 & #2
8/8? Schedules Available for OCI #1 & #2
8/9: Open Slots Available for OCI #1 & #2
8/10: Open Slots Close for OCI #1 & #2
8/11: Washington, DC Job Fair (DCJF)
8/21-22: On Campus Interviews #1 (OCI #1)
9/8: On Campus Interviews #2 (OCI #2)

Threads from Previous Years
AJF 2016
AJF 2015
AJF 2014
AJF 2013
AJF 2012
AJF 2011

Helpful Job Hunt Resources:
Compilation - OCI and Job Search Advice & Info
In addition to the link above, you should also continuously reference the "Recruiting Launch Information Packet" sent to you via e-mail in late April by the Office of Career Services, as it is comprehensive and well-written. (I'm assuming they still send this?)

---------------------------

"Proper Planning and Preparation Prevents Piss-Poor Performance." - The British Army / runinthefront.

"The night is darkest just before the dawn. And I promise you, the dawn is coming!" - Harvey Dent / Lavitz.

Last edited by Lavitz on Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:39 pm, edited 79 times in total.

cantexplaingottago

Bronze

Re: Cornell 2017 AJF/BOJF/DCJF/OCI

Post by cantexplaingottago » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:51 pm

Thank you, Lavitz! Very timely--I was actively procrastinating on doing my bid list as you posted this.

BKing

New

Post by BKing » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:04 pm

I've been waiting for this thread since the grades were out. :D :D

Bigredbear

New

Post by Bigredbear » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:01 pm

Thank you Lavitz for setting this up

runthetrap1990

Bronze

Post by runthetrap1990 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:44 pm

Studying for the bar, but happy to answer any questions/critique any bidlists, etc. etc.

PM me if you want!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:55 pm

I'm too old to provide helpful advice with bid lists, but I'm happy to provide my biased advice on individual firms. As a litigator in NYC, I am especially judgmental about litigation groups here, but I can definitely provide less-informed judgment about non-lit and non-NY firms, as well.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:38 pm

Anyone mind taking a look at my bidlist in PMs?

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone mind taking a look at my bidlist in PMs?
I'll do it.

Unless you're the person who e-mailed me a few hours ago, in which case I just responded.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:53 pm

Lavitz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone mind taking a look at my bidlist in PMs?
I'll do it.

Unless you're the person who e-mailed me a few hours ago, in which case I just responded.
Just PM'd you. Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:37 pm

You folks are quiet. I wouldn't have even known bid results came out today if it weren't for a PM.

Traditional poll added.

And for you clerkship gunners, don't forget you can submit apps through OSCAR tomorrow.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:00 pm

This thread is quiet. :shock:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:02 pm

Lincoln wrote:I'm too old to provide helpful advice with bid lists, but I'm happy to provide my biased advice on individual firms. As a litigator in NYC, I am especially judgmental about litigation groups here, but I can definitely provide less-informed judgment about non-lit and non-NY firms, as well.
thoughts on Milbank?

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Lincoln wrote:I'm too old to provide helpful advice with bid lists, but I'm happy to provide my biased advice on individual firms. As a litigator in NYC, I am especially judgmental about litigation groups here, but I can definitely provide less-informed judgment about non-lit and non-NY firms, as well.
thoughts on Milbank?
I don't think of them as being a truly national, top-notch lit group like Quinn, CSM, DPW, PW, etc. But they get their share of financial industry cases, and Scott Edelman and some others are the real deal. You could do worse.

If you want to do project finance or bankruptcy or whatever else they're supposed to be good at, it might be a different story, but that's where I'm out of my element.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

runthetrap1990

Bronze

Post by runthetrap1990 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This thread is quiet. :shock:
Does your class not like the internet?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:36 pm

At what point should you leave your GPA off your resume? I have between a 3.2 and 3.3. I don't want interviewers to assume it's worse than it is if I leave it off, but I also don't want to be disqualified from the start if I put it on.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:At what point should you leave your GPA off your resume? I have between a 3.2 and 3.3. I don't want interviewers to assume it's worse than it is if I leave it off, but I also don't want to be disqualified from the start if I put it on.
Keep it on.

I'd only consider leaving it off if it's below a 3.0.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:47 pm

What GPA would people consider to be a "reach" for Latham? I was reading some previous year threads and there seemed to be conflicting opinions as to how flexible they are. Just curious to gauge my expectations.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What GPA would people consider to be a "reach" for Latham? I was reading some previous year threads and there seemed to be conflicting opinions as to how flexible they are. Just curious to gauge my expectations.
Career services should have info on grades for people who have gotten CBs at Latham in the past. I doubt anyone on these boards will be able to give you better information than that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:54 pm

Lincoln wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What GPA would people consider to be a "reach" for Latham? I was reading some previous year threads and there seemed to be conflicting opinions as to how flexible they are. Just curious to gauge my expectations.
Career services should have info on grades for people who have gotten CBs at Latham in the past. I doubt anyone on these boards will be able to give you better information than that.
I mean, they just gave us the averages for 2015/2016, which, although somewhat helpful, are not exactly fully clear without a min/max or standard deviation.

Edit- if we ask for more info, will they give it to us?

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Lincoln wrote:
I mean, they just gave us the averages for 2015/2016, which, although somewhat helpful, are not exactly fully clear without a min/max or standard deviation.

Yeah, I have no idea why they stopped giving out that info. But I have it.

2 years ago, lowest gpa that got a CB at Latham was 3.45. Year before was 3.47. Year before that, 3.45 again. And year before that, 3.46.

So it seems like a hard floor at 3.45.

mt2165

Silver

Post by mt2165 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:09 am

Lavitz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Lincoln wrote:

2 years ago, lowest gpa that got a CB at Latham was 3.45. Year before was 3.47. Year before that, 3.45 again. And year before that, 3.46.

Yeah from what I remember you want to be in that 3.5'ish range. I think our year (AJF 2015) the average was like 3.57?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:16 am

mt2165 wrote:
Lavitz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Lincoln wrote:

Yeah from what I remember you want to be in that 3.5'ish range. I think our year (AJF 2015) the average was like 3.57?
My data shows 3.63 for that year, and previous years were higher (3.66, 3.67, 3.69).

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:At what point should you leave your GPA off your resume? I have between a 3.2 and 3.3. I don't want interviewers to assume it's worse than it is if I leave it off, but I also don't want to be disqualified from the start if I put it on.
I would never even consider leaving the GPA off the resume unless it's below a 3.0.

A 3.2-3.3 from Cornell will have good odds of biglaw assuming good interviewing skills.

Also, as a random aside, 3.5-3.65 should be good for Latham. If I had a 3.45ish, I'd probably bid them as one of my reaches.
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:50 am

Lavitz wrote:
mt2165 wrote:
Lavitz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Lincoln wrote:

My data shows 3.63 for that year, and previous years were higher (3.66, 3.67, 3.69).
This all was very helpful thanks! Though, for the sake of posterity, Latham last year (2016) was a 3.56, so I wonder if they stuck to that GPA floor.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:09 am

Don't let the averages scare you too much. Sure, they are important, but the same 15 kids in the top 10% will get offers down the V10 and inflate the averages to some degree. In my opinion, if you're above the bottom offer line and a decent interviewer, go for it. There were plenty of people who hit above their numbers last year, particularly nice/sociable people on the margins.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”