Cornell 2017 AJF/BOJF/DCJF/OCI Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

How many screeners did you get through lottery?

Poll ended at Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:33 pm

Less than 11
No votes
No votes
15%
8%
15%
31%
No votes
15%
15%
More than 18
No votes

Total votes: 13

Lincoln

Silver

Re: Cornell 2017 AJF/BOJF/DCJF/OCI

Post by Lincoln » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:59 am

Lavitz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Lincoln wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What GPA would people consider to be a "reach" for Latham? I was reading some previous year threads and there seemed to be conflicting opinions as to how flexible they are. Just curious to gauge my expectations.
Career services should have info on grades for people who have gotten CBs at Latham in the past. I doubt anyone on these boards will be able to give you better information than that.
I mean, they just gave us the averages for 2015/2016, which, although somewhat helpful, are not exactly fully clear without a min/max or standard deviation.

Edit- if we ask for more info, will they give it to us?
Yeah, I have no idea why they stopped giving out that info. But I have it.

2 years ago, lowest gpa that got a CB at Latham was 3.45. Year before was 3.47. Year before that, 3.45 again. And year before that, 3.46.

So it seems like a hard floor at 3.45.
Weird move to start giving less information. But at least it's better than when I did AJF, and they only gave us "less selective," "selective" and "very selective" or some such meaningless characterization the exact wording of which I have purged from my mind.

cantexplaingottago

Bronze

Post by cantexplaingottago » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:45 pm

I'm very new to professional-level job interviewing, so I have some strange questions that I can't seem to find consistent answers to on the Internet:

1. When wearing a women's suit with a white button up blouse, do I button the top button of the blouse?

2. Same scenario, should the blouse collar be in or out (under the jacket or over the jacket)? "collar in" and "collar out" for reference
a) If the collar should be under the jacket, how do you keep it looking neat? It seems to get bunched up when I do it.

3. Are shells in lieu of a button up collared shirt appropriate for AJF? See "no collar" for reference.

4. How should a woman sit during an interview when wearing a pant suit and when wearing a skirt suit? Cross one leg over the other? Cross ankles and tuck to the side? None of these?
a) Where do I put my hands when I'm sitting? I tried many different positions in the mirror, and the only one that looked decent to me was crossing one leg over the other with my hands resting on my knee.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:22 pm

cantexplaingottago wrote:I'm very new to professional-level job interviewing, so I have some strange questions that I can't seem to find consistent answers to on the Internet:
As a (not very stylish) man, I hesitate to wander into this topic. There's a women's clothing thread that would probably be of more help to you.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:35 pm

Lincoln wrote:
cantexplaingottago wrote:I'm very new to professional-level job interviewing, so I have some strange questions that I can't seem to find consistent answers to on the Internet:
As a (not very stylish) man, I hesitate to wander into this topic. There's a women's clothing thread that would probably be of more help to you.
Same. Think this is the thread: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 0&t=149168

bluefish91

New

Post by bluefish91 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:33 pm

1. When wearing a women's suit with a white button up blouse, do I button the top button of the blouse?

2. Same scenario, should the blouse collar be in or out (under the jacket or over the jacket)? "collar in" and "collar out" for reference
a) If the collar should be under the jacket, how do you keep it looking neat? It seems to get bunched up when I do it.

3. Are shells in lieu of a button up collared shirt appropriate for AJF? See "no collar" for reference.

4. How should a woman sit during an interview when wearing a pant suit and when wearing a skirt suit? Cross one leg over the other? Cross ankles and tuck to the side? None of these?
a) Where do I put my hands when I'm sitting? I tried many different positions in the mirror, and the only one that looked decent to me was crossing one leg over the other with my hands resting on my knee.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
I'm a female and have had some screeners/callbacks in major markets with good results so far. I would vote shell > button up in most cases unless you are very thin and small-chested. The idea of a button accidentally coming undone or having the shirt "peep open" when you sit is not worth it imo. I also think the shell looks more feminine and better overall on women. I have had good luck with the Calvin Klein women's collection at Macy's. They're a nice thick material (which I've found is rare for women's blouses) so unnecessary to wear anything underneath and come in a nice collection of very soft colors (white, cream, very pale pink, etc.)

I've done the cross the ankles and feet to the side so far, but have also been sitting across from the interviewer at a desk. Hands rest on my lap. Don't overthink it and just sit comfortably so you're not moving and fidgeting too much and can focus on the conversation. Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:11 pm

bluefish91 wrote:I'm a female and have had some screeners/callbacks in major markets with good results so far. I would vote shell > button up in most cases unless you are very thin and small-chested. The idea of a button accidentally coming undone or having the shirt "peep open" when you sit is not worth it imo. I also think the shell looks more feminine and better overall on women. I have had good luck with the Calvin Klein women's collection at Macy's. They're a nice thick material (which I've found is rare for women's blouses) so unnecessary to wear anything underneath and come in a nice collection of very soft colors (white, cream, very pale pink, etc.)

I've done the cross the ankles and feet to the side so far, but have also been sitting across from the interviewer at a desk. Hands rest on my lap. Don't overthink it and just sit comfortably so you're not moving and fidgeting too much and can focus on the conversation. Good luck!
Thank you!!

I usually put wardrobe tape between the bust buttons on button up blouses, so gaping isn't really a problem there, but I'll see how it goes with shells. Coincidentally, Calvin Klein shells are the ones I have.

I don't know if I can sit comfortably in a suit, even if I were lounging on my couch. Oh well. It's only for a few days.

Edit: I accidentally anonymously quoted for this reply and I don't know how to un-anonymous it. Sorry :/

cantexplaingottago

Bronze

Post by cantexplaingottago » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:16 pm

Lavitz wrote:
Lincoln wrote:
Same. Think this is the thread: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 0&t=149168
Thank you, guys! I've been through several pages so far, but they seem mostly concerned with shoes and blazers. Alas, those questions have already been answered for me. But I'll keep looking, now that I know that thread exists.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:41 pm

cantexplaingottago wrote:
Lavitz wrote:
Lincoln wrote:
Thank you, guys! I've been through several pages so far, but they seem mostly concerned with shoes and blazers. Alas, those questions have already been answered for me. But I'll keep looking, now that I know that thread exists.
My idea was more that you can ask your specific question in there and get answers from knowledgeable female posters. I hear OCI questions get asked pretty often in that thread. The posters may not go to Cornell, but they don't bite.

cantexplaingottago

Bronze

Post by cantexplaingottago » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:35 pm

Lavitz wrote: My idea was more that you can ask your specific question in there and get answers from knowledgeable female posters. I hear OCI questions get asked pretty often in that thread. The posters may not go to Cornell, but they don't bite.
*facepalm*

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:06 am

One dumb question: How do you guys deal with laundry during the AJF & callbacks? Will firms reimburse hotel laundry service? Or should I just buy 10 shirts instead?

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:One dumb question: How do you guys deal with laundry during the AJF & callbacks? Will firms reimburse hotel laundry service? Or should I just buy 10 shirts instead?
I honestly don't remember what I did. Maybe had like 4 white shirts and just re-used each one a few times and hoped nobody noticed? I still do that for work now.

I don't think any firm would reimburse a laundry service. That said, I'm not sure buying 10 shirts makes more sense than just having 4-5 and paying for dry cleaning if necessary, either in the hotel or a place nearby.

cantexplaingottago

Bronze

Post by cantexplaingottago » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:21 am

For real, how quickly do call back interviews start? Soon enough to warrant just chilling in NYC for a few days after AJF?

runthetrap1990

Bronze

Post by runthetrap1990 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:29 am

cantexplaingottago wrote:For real, how quickly do call back interviews start? Soon enough to warrant just chilling in NYC for a few days after AJF?
I remember having a callback the day after AJF. Definitely worth sticking around the city if you can.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:33 am

cantexplaingottago wrote:For real, how quickly do call back interviews start? Soon enough to warrant just chilling in NYC for a few days after AJF?
Many, but not all, firms will give you a CB either the same day you interviewed or within a few days after. Then it depends on how soon you schedule them. For most of mine, I was able to schedule them to take place as soon as the next few days. So I believe I had one on the Thursday right after the last day of AJF, then one on the following Monday and one on that Tuesday. Some firms take longer to give you a CB and/or won't have available CB slots that early. Think I had one scheduled for September 25th which I cancelled after deciding to accept an offer from a better firm.

So yes, I wouldn't plan on going anywhere. You should schedule them as early as possible while still making sure you'll be prepared enough to do your best. Better to interview when the firm has more available offers to give out.
Last edited by Lavitz on Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

jlk411

Bronze

Post by jlk411 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:10 am

Is it possible to get a CB for a day when you will be in AJF (like the last day) or are firms mindful that you are still doing screeners?

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:16 am

jlk411 wrote:Is it possible to get a CB for a day when you will be in AJF (like the last day) or are firms mindful that you are still doing screeners?
It is certainly possible to schedule it that early if you get a CB soon enough. I would've scheduled my earliest one on Wednesday instead of Thursday, but I had one screener in the middle of the day that would've made it difficult to do a CB either in the afternoon or morning. But you get to choose when to schedule it, so it's not about firms being "mindful." The firm's not going to say "we need you to come in on this day." As far as I remember, most of mine directed me to a website where I viewed a calendar and picked an open spot.

cantexplaingottago

Bronze

Post by cantexplaingottago » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:41 pm

Lavitz wrote: It is certainly possible to schedule it that early if you get a CB soon enough. I would've scheduled my earliest one on Wednesday instead of Thursday, but I had one screener in the middle of the day that would've made it difficult to do a CB either in the afternoon or morning. But you get to choose when to schedule it, so it's not about firms being "mindful." The firm's not going to say "we need you to come in on this day." As far as I remember, most of mine directed me to a website where I viewed a calendar and picked an open spot.
Thank you, this is incredibly helpful.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jlk411

Bronze

Post by jlk411 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:31 pm

Lavitz wrote:
jlk411 wrote:Is it possible to get a CB for a day when you will be in AJF (like the last day) or are firms mindful that you are still doing screeners?
It is certainly possible to schedule it that early if you get a CB soon enough. I would've scheduled my earliest one on Wednesday instead of Thursday, but I had one screener in the middle of the day that would've made it difficult to do a CB either in the afternoon or morning. But you get to choose when to schedule it, so it's not about firms being "mindful." The firm's not going to say "we need you to come in on this day." As far as I remember, most of mine directed me to a website where I viewed a calendar and picked an open spot.
Awesome thank you!

cantexplaingottago

Bronze

Post by cantexplaingottago » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:46 pm

Does the printer lab have resume paper or do I have to go out and buy some myself?

runthetrap1990

Bronze

Post by runthetrap1990 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:16 pm

cantexplaingottago wrote:Does the printer lab have resume paper or do I have to go out and buy some myself?
I'm pretty sure you have to provide it on your own.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:27 pm

runthetrap1990 wrote:
cantexplaingottago wrote:Does the printer lab have resume paper or do I have to go out and buy some myself?
I'm pretty sure you have to provide it on your own.
Yeah, the computer lab won't have any, unless things have changed.

The LRRR on the other hand....

Well, it moved, so it probably doesn't have any either. :?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:09 pm

Do we need cover letters for AJF? Don't think firms that we already landed screeners would require that.

But what about the hospitality suites?

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do we need cover letters for AJF? Don't think firms that we already landed screeners would require that.

Unnecessary for AJF altogether.
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

runthetrap1990

Bronze

Post by runthetrap1990 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do we need cover letters for AJF? Don't think firms that we already landed screeners would require that.

For hospitality suites, usually a resume, and maybe a transcript, should suffice. In any event, I would bring a ton of copies of your resume, transcript, writing sample, and references because you never quite know what they may ask for. But you won't need a cover letter for sure (at least I've never heard of any hospitality suite asking for one).

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:00 pm

lol at needing cover letters. This isn't some TTT like UVA.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”