Northwestern OCI 2017 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Northwestern OCI 2017

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Preliminary list of employers are up.
Wait so despite CSO's OCI data, if an employer's data on Symplicity says top X% required and we aren't in that percentage, should we not even waste our bid?

Northwestern doesn't release percentages so no way to know where you are, I mean I know history and what not but things change. I would touch base with your adviser but I think the OCI data is probably the best bet and bid wisely. You can have some reach firms but you also need realistic ones.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:37 pm

Anyone know when we can see how many interview slots are available for a given firm? Is it when bidding begins?

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wait so despite CSO's OCI data, if an employer's data on Symplicity says top X% required and we aren't in that percentage, should we not even waste our bid?
I would ignore the topX% stuff if the data directly contradicts it. I think my year some firm said like top 10% required and all their data indicated they hired below median (and they did). The firm was just blowing smoke.

If a firm has a stated numerical cutoff (Latham's historically stated theres was 3.550) then I would let that inform your decision if it looks like it's somewhat supported by the data and there isn't something unique about you that sets you apart from everyone else (diversity, relevant work experience, connections, etc.)

With bidding in general, you do have to be realistic about where you have a shot. If you're at median, you're simply not getting a callback at Williams & Connelly. I think the 25% callback GPA is a good indicator of where you're competitive if you're an average candidate from NU. OCI can be a bit feast or famine with people with high GPAs getting a large number of callbacks that skews the data up.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:58 pm

Mullens wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I would ignore the topX% stuff if the data directly contradicts it. I think my year some firm said like top 10% required and all their data indicated they hired below median (and they did). The firm was just blowing smoke.

If a firm has a stated numerical cutoff (Latham's historically stated theres was 3.550) then I would let that inform your decision if it looks like it's somewhat supported by the data and there isn't something unique about you that sets you apart from everyone else (diversity, relevant work experience, connections, etc.)

With bidding in general, you do have to be realistic about where you have a shot. If you're at median, you're simply not getting a callback at Williams & Connelly. I think the 25% callback GPA is a good indicator of where you're competitive if you're an average candidate from NU. OCI can be a bit feast or famine with people with high GPAs getting a large number of callbacks that skews the data up.
Thanks. I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm just a bit confused- so if someone is below 3.55 and gets a screener with Latham-- is it pretty much out of the question if the interviewee is not unique/diverse/etc.?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:59 pm

Gibson Dunn not on this list...do they usually not recruit from NU?

*edited: checked their website and confirmed no NU visit. Weird that they aren't coming to OCI.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:30 pm

Dear School,

I have 3.6 and interested in D.C. Cool funny guy with decent looks. What can YOU tell me about my chances at landing at a good firm? If you have anything useful, let me know. I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

P.S.: Thanks guys!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:13 pm

Did Akin Gump just drop out of OCI?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:43 pm

Heads up - they've posted GPA-callback data, but it looks like they haven't gotten around to updating it with last year's numbers. You can find it in Symplicity by going to Resources --> Document Library.

Kinky John

Silver

Post by Kinky John » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Dear School,

I have 3.6 and interested in D.C. Cool funny guy with decent looks. What can YOU tell me about my chances at landing at a good firm? If you have anything useful, let me know. I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

P.S.: Thanks guys!
I can already tell that you're weird. Everyone should practice interviewing, especially you. DC with a 3.6 isn't impossible but it's not going to be easy.
Anonymous User wrote:Did Akin Gump just drop out of OCI?
IIRC they didn't come last year. I think it was something about too many "OCI is like a box of chocolates" jokes during interviews.
Last edited by Kinky John on Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Heads up - they've posted GPA-callback data, but it looks like they haven't gotten around to updating it with last year's numbers. You can find it in Symplicity by going to Resources --> Document Library.
Isn't it password protected?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Heads up - they've posted GPA-callback data, but it looks like they haven't gotten around to updating it with last year's numbers. You can find it in Symplicity by going to Resources --> Document Library.
Wait, isn't that the same data that's been up forever?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
yeah and its password protected. i don't think that OCS has formally posted this stuff. we are still waiting for OCI data

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:16 am

So everyone's saying that you need a job search strategy outside of OCI, but what are we actually supposed to be doing right now? I feel like nobody's ever explained that part to us. I know some people get offers through "pre-cruitment" but CSC just sent us an email saying that you can blow your chances with a firm if you apply before OCI and fail. I feel like I know what I should be doing for OCI as far as networking and interview prep, but have no idea what to do about my job search outside of it.

For reference, I have a 3.74, probably won't make NULR, and will be bidding exclusively Chicago.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
yeah and its password protected. i don't think that OCS has formally posted this stuff. we are still waiting for OCI data
OP here - probably is the same data that's been up forever, I just never bothered to look until now. It's not password protected on my end of things, though like I said, it's only the 2013-15 OCI callback data.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
OP here - probably is the same data that's been up forever, I just never bothered to look until now. It's not password protected on my end of things, though like I said, it's only the 2013-15 OCI callback data.
oh i see now. you just have to download the file directly from the link

Kinky John

Silver

Post by Kinky John » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So everyone's saying that you need a job search strategy outside of OCI, but what are we actually supposed to be doing right now? I feel like nobody's ever explained that part to us. I know some people get offers through "pre-cruitment" but CSC just sent us an email saying that you can blow your chances with a firm if you apply before OCI and fail. I feel like I know what I should be doing for OCI as far as networking and interview prep, but have no idea what to do about my job search outside of it.

For reference, I have a 3.74, probably won't make NULR, and will be bidding exclusively Chicago.
If you haven't already, look through the past Northwestern OCI threads: 2016, 2015, and 2014.

Did you do any of the resume drops/recruiting events during the school year? You can start by sending those firms an updated resume and transcript over email with a short "cover letter" as the body.

IMO, you should do the same thing for at least a handful of NY firms (some targeted mailing). You say Chicago only, but having an offer in hand (even if it's in NY) helps.

I will give you the advice we were all given: career services wants as many people as possible to get jobs, not you specifically. What's best for the class as a whole might not be best for you individually.
Last edited by Kinky John on Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:56 pm

3.965 GPA and looking at both Chicago and New York. On my resume, should I round up to the second decimal place (3.97) or not (3.96)? Or should I say 3.965?
Also, if firms are coming to OCI, should I still send them my resume? (I didn't apply to those firms previously). How much will that hurt/help my chances?

Thanks!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:3.965 GPA and looking at both Chicago and New York. On my resume, should I round up to the second decimal place (3.97) or not (3.96)? Or should I say 3.965?
Also, if firms are coming to OCI, should I still send them my resume? (I didn't apply to those firms previously). How much will that hurt/help my chances?

Thanks!
Never round up. Leave it at 3.965 since that's your actual GPA.

Doesn't hurt to send your resume. At worst you'll get a "bid on us at OCI" and you'll probably get some pre-OCI callbacks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:43 pm

Mullens wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:3.965 GPA and looking at both Chicago and New York. On my resume, should I round up to the second decimal place (3.97) or not (3.96)? Or should I say 3.965?

Thanks!

Doesn't hurt to send your resume. At worst you'll get a "bid on us at OCI" and you'll probably get some pre-OCI callbacks.
I'm working in Chicago during the summer so does it even make sense to mass mail firms in NY? I won't be able to fly over to NY and do pre-OCI callbacks

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mullens wrote:

Thanks!

I'm working in Chicago during the summer so does it even make sense to mass mail firms in NY? I won't be able to fly over to NY and do pre-OCI callbacks
Yeah good point. If you're not gonna be able to miss work to do a callback then mass mailing NY could look super bad when you try to schedule them after OCI. This also kinda depends on where you work, but you shouldn't be too worried about missing a day or two at your 1L summer job to do a callback. If you're working at another firm as a 1L SA then yeah don't miss any work, but if you're externing for a judge, working for a non-profit, or doing some other random 1L summer job then you should put your post-law school employment first and miss a day or two to do callbacks.

With a 3.965 you should be able to stumble ass-backwards into offers in NY so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:18 am

Hey, just starting the OCI research process and want some advice. Top 10% - top 5% GPA, not sure about journal, Moot Court/Trial Team, limited WE. "All-in" on litigation, interested in appellate (who isn't) but this isn't mandatory. Strong ties to Denver, NW is my only ties to Chicago (though my wife has job opportunities here, so that's a +), have a lot of friends in DC (& wife has job opportunities here as well), no connection to NYC but I'm holding it as an option. Working with a State SG/AG's office this summer (not any of the areas discussed above).

I would appreciate feedback on (1) what I should be doing to network this summer, especially since I won't be in DC, NYC, Chi, or Denver. (2) What I should be doing for mass-mailing, and (3) what my general bidding strategy should be (and anything else you think would be pertinent).

Thanks!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hey, just starting the OCI research process and want some advice. Top 10% - top 5% GPA, not sure about journal, Moot Court/Trial Team, limited WE. "All-in" on litigation, interested in appellate (who isn't) but this isn't mandatory. Strong ties to Denver, NW is my only ties to Chicago (though my wife has job opportunities here, so that's a +), have a lot of friends in DC (& wife has job opportunities here as well), no connection to NYC but I'm holding it as an option. Working with a State SG/AG's office this summer (not any of the areas discussed above).

I would appreciate feedback on (1) what I should be doing to network this summer, especially since I won't be in DC, NYC, Chi, or Denver. (2) What I should be doing for mass-mailing, and (3) what my general bidding strategy should be (and anything else you think would be pertinent).

Thanks!
(1) There's two people on the OCI firm contact list you got emailed that are/were in Denver for their 2L SA. You should reach out to both of them. It's a small market and they will know more than CSC.

(2) You should probably mass mail Denver firms since not many will come to OCI, but ask the people working there. I also think you should mass mail NY firms so you can try to get pre-OCI callbacks in and not have to bid NY at OCI. I would suggest limiting yourself to two markets at OCI, unless you're just going to apply to the top-end firms in each city and truly don't care where you want to work.

(3) See above. Also would be helpful to know your actual GPA to give bidding advice. To be honest, none of us know what a GPA in the top 5-10% is and the margins matter at this level for top top firms. It's an anonymous forum.

(4) Never say the words "appellate litigation" in any of your interviews. You want to do litigation. The issue is that at most firms the appellate groups very small and are solely staffed with people who have done appellate clerkships. You're in the ballpark to get an appellate clerkship (and you should contact Kadens/Emily Brown about clerkship applications), but you won't have the credential until after you clerk. Even if you mention that you want to do litigation but have an aspiration to do appellate or simply that you are "interested" in it (unless someone asks you directly then it's okay), many interviewers will only hear "I want to do appellate litigation" and it will hurt you. It's honestly one of the easier ways to strike out at OCI with good grades. The goal at OCI is simply to get a job. Do everything you can to get that job and then worry about doing appellate litigation.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:50 am

Sorry if this has been asked. I was told by various folks, including my career advisor, that "pre-cruitment" and possible pre-OCI callbacks/offers are for those with top 5%ish, top 10% GPA. Is that true?

Also I am under the impression that mass mailing to firms in markets outside of Chicago is not primarily for the purpose of pre-cruitment, but to reach as many firms as possible in markets other than Chicago. Is it? After all, the great majority of firms coming to NW OCI are recruiting for their Chicago offices, and some west/east coast firms do not even attend NW OCI. I do not have a 3.7 GPA, should I start mass mailing firms in the markets that I target because I mainly target markets outside of Chicago (such as SF, NY, Boston, etc.)? Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:51 am

Mullens wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hey, just starting the OCI research process and want some advice. Top 10% - top 5% GPA, not sure about journal, Moot Court/Trial Team, limited WE. "All-in" on litigation, interested in appellate (who isn't) but this isn't mandatory. Strong ties to Denver, NW is my only ties to Chicago (though my wife has job opportunities here, so that's a +), have a lot of friends in DC (& wife has job opportunities here as well), no connection to NYC but I'm holding it as an option. Working with a State SG/AG's office this summer (not any of the areas discussed above).

Thanks!
(1) There's two people on the OCI firm contact list you got emailed that are/were in Denver for their 2L SA. You should reach out to both of them. It's a small market and they will know more than CSC.

(2) You should probably mass mail Denver firms since not many will come to OCI, but ask the people working there. I also think you should mass mail NY firms so you can try to get pre-OCI callbacks in and not have to bid NY at OCI. I would suggest limiting yourself to two markets at OCI, unless you're just going to apply to the top-end firms in each city and truly don't care where you want to work.

(3) See above. Also would be helpful to know your actual GPA to give bidding advice. To be honest, none of us know what a GPA in the top 5-10% is and the margins matter at this level for top top firms. It's an anonymous forum.

(4) Never say the words "appellate litigation" in any of your interviews. You want to do litigation. The issue is that at most firms the appellate groups very small and are solely staffed with people who have done appellate clerkships. You're in the ballpark to get an appellate clerkship (and you should contact Kadens/Emily Brown about clerkship applications), but you won't have the credential until after you clerk. Even if you mention that you want to do litigation but have an aspiration to do appellate or simply that you are "interested" in it (unless someone asks you directly then it's okay), many interviewers will only hear "I want to do appellate litigation" and it will hurt you. It's honestly one of the easier ways to strike out at OCI with good grades. The goal at OCI is simply to get a job. Do everything you can to get that job and then worry about doing appellate litigation.
To answer (3), my GPA is 3.89.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:46 pm

CSO says new OCI data will be up this week.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”