Northwestern OCI 2017 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Northwestern OCI 2017

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:25 pm

Grades are out. :) Time to talk about OCI

Anonymous User

Re: Northwestern OCI 2017

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:40 pm

Think we made NU OCI threads at the same time. One of them should be deleted, don't know how though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:16 pm

3.48 cumulative. Grades dropped a good amount this semester. Only interested in transactional. Any and all advice appreciated.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:16 pm

Gunners.

Yet here I am.

Below median. Yolo.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:32 pm

when is OCI data coming out?

(reposting here in what seems like the real deal)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:when is OCI data coming out?

Anyone participating in OTIP?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:18 am

So I talked with a DC market advisor (through career services) who said because NW's grades are inflated historically, we should post our approximate percentile if it's good. Am I the only one who thinks this is BS?

sneks

New

Post by sneks » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:So I talked with a DC market advisor (through career services) who said because NW's grades are inflated historically, we should post our approximate percentile if it's good. Am I the only one who thinks this is BS?
(Rising 3L here) I agree it's BS & I would NOT follow this advice. Since NU doesn't rank, you have no idea what percentile you are, and I'm hesitant to say the #s sometimes floated on the other thread for post-1L percentile estimates are anywhere near correct. There's no real way to gauge this, IMO, so you'd likely be misrepresenting your percentile. Career Services would also freak out if they knew and it's probably a violation of the honor code or something that could get you in trouble. In any case, firms have an idea of what NU's grading system is. They've generally been coming to OCI and interviewing our students for years & they know which GPA ranges they would prefer from NU.

If you want advice about DC firms, I would wait until they send out the list of students who are summering at which firms and contact rising 3Ls who are at firms in DC this summer. I don't know when that gets released, maybe when OCI stuff does? If you really want to speak with someone before that PM me and I'll see if I can connect you with someone.

Kinky John

Silver

Post by Kinky John » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So I talked with a DC market advisor (through career services) who said because NW's grades are inflated historically, we should post our approximate percentile if it's good. Am I the only one who thinks this is BS?
No one can include an "approximate percentile" next to their GPA.
Last edited by Kinky John on Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Kinky John

Silver

Post by Kinky John » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:when is OCI data coming out?

Career Services posted it last year on 6/10 (second Friday in June).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:40 pm

Is the consensus on Chicago lit still that it's a bloodbath? I'm prepared to go to New York if need be, but how should I feel with a 3.8 and strong ties to Chicago?

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is the consensus on Chicago lit still that it's a bloodbath? I'm prepared to go to New York if need be, but how should I feel with a 3.8 and strong ties to Chicago?
You should be okay with a 3.8 and strong Chicago ties. Especially is you're a good interviewer. I'd be pretty surprised if you struck out in Chicago (but it's happened before). You might want to bid a few V20 NY firms just to make sure you get an offer somewhere.

Network as much as you can in Chicago this summer and try to get some pre-OCI callbacks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:35 pm

Thoughts on sending out updated resumes/transcripts for pre-OCI before write-on results come out? Want to get started on pre-OCI prospects as early as possible. I'm interested in transactional but still did write on.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Kinky John

Silver

Post by Kinky John » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thoughts on sending out updated resumes/transcripts for pre-OCI before write-on results come out? Want to get started on pre-OCI prospects as early as possible. I'm interested in transactional but still did write on.
Do it

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:49 pm

Kinky John wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Thoughts on sending out updated resumes/transcripts for pre-OCI before write-on results come out? Want to get started on pre-OCI prospects as early as possible. I'm interested in transactional but still did write on.
Do it

if we're contacting a firm that previously had our resume from a resume drop and updating it and providing a transcript, do we need a cover letter like a regular mass mail or is a brief message in the body of the email ok?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:56 pm

Kinky John wrote:
Do it
Do we note on the resume "journal offer pending" or something like that? Not to be presumptuous..

sneks

New

Post by sneks » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Kinky John wrote:
Do it

if we're contacting a firm that previously had our resume from a resume drop and updating it and providing a transcript, do we need a cover letter like a regular mass mail or is a brief message in the body of the email ok?
I would still do a cover letter. You can mention in the body of your email that you attended xyz event. But I'll defer to others if they weigh in on that and disagree; I didn't do a lot of resume drops/receptions/etc.

Also, if you haven't heard from these firms by the time write-on results are announced, that's a great reason to update your resume and reach out to them again.

Also re journal--you should note in your email and cover letter that you won't hear until July.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Kinky John

Silver

Post by Kinky John » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Kinky John wrote:
Do it

The latter. Keep the message short (4 sentences is plenty) and include a sentence on why x firm, practice group, and/or location. I don't think a formal cover letter makes sense here.

Do not write "journal offer pending."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:09 pm

Kinky John wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Kinky John wrote:
Do it

The latter. Keep the message short (4 sentences is plenty) and include a sentence on why x firm, practice group, and/or location. I don't think a formal cover letter makes sense here.

Do not write "journal offer pending."
edit: wow, totally asked the same question already asked. My bad.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:40 pm

for mass mailing, if we are just cold sending an email without previously contacting the firm, how do we word the email?

would it be something like:
"I am a Northwestern rising 2L and I am very interested in X firm. Please find attached a cover letter, resume, and transcript." ???

would this change if we are emailing a firm that is coming to OCI?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:05 am

Went from a 3.4 to a 3.6 cumulative, which is nice, but is such a small bump going to impact how I should approach OCI? I'm hoping for Chicago lit (have decent ties), but would also be open to smaller Midwest markets. Just trying to identify if I have a realistic shot, although I should probably wait until employer reveal before I over-analyze this whole process.

-H

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:Went from a 3.4 to a 3.6 cumulative, which is nice, but is such a small bump going to impact how I should approach OCI? I'm hoping for Chicago lit (have decent ties), but would also be open to smaller Midwest markets. Just trying to identify if I have a realistic shot, although I should probably wait until employer reveal before I over-analyze this whole process.

-H
I actually think it's a pretty big bump because you meet a lot of firm's GPA floors with this new GPA. Also, it brings you from barely above median to top 35-ish? Think it should affect your strategy here in that you can bid on higher firms, but others should chime in.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Went from a 3.4 to a 3.6 cumulative, which is nice, but is such a small bump going to impact how I should approach OCI? I'm hoping for Chicago lit (have decent ties), but would also be open to smaller Midwest markets. Just trying to identify if I have a realistic shot, although I should probably wait until employer reveal before I over-analyze this whole process.

-H
I actually think it's a pretty big bump because you meet a lot of firm's GPA floors with this new GPA. Also, it brings you from barely above median to top 35-ish? Think it should affect your strategy here in that you can bid on higher firms, but others should chime in.
I was under the impression that 3.6 is closer to 25% (not op here), 3.7 is ~15, and 3.8 is 10-12% after 1L (with these all subject to rise over next two years). I think 4.0+ is 5% and higher as of now, which would mean 10ish people are at 4.0 or higher, or roughly 2-3 per section. Wish NU gave at least ranges.

Any upper classpeople ITT find career services helpful for non NY bid advice?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:20 pm

Preliminary list of employers are up.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Preliminary list of employers are up.
Wait so despite CSO's OCI data, if an employer's data on Symplicity says top X% required and we aren't in that percentage, should we not even waste our bid?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”