Where do people with low GPAs go? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Where do people with low GPAs go?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 28, 2017 11:56 pm

Honestly speaking, everybody isn't in the top-20% of their respective schools on here AND some are below median.

I'm a diversity applicant, bilingual, and I have decent former experience. My GPA, at the moment, is right below 3.0 (waiting on spring grades but so far, my LRW grade has went up).

I never wanted to do big law, but I don't really have an interest in government jobs either. I want to stay in the South and hopefully, be able to live comfortably.

Over the summer, I've been reading/ rereading every book I can about exam test taking. I'm hoping for a really big boost my 2L year in GPA. I just hope it's not too late, as far as my job search goes.

For those with sub-par GPAs, what was the best strategy for you when it came to your job search?

I'm also thinking about getting on medicine for my ADD. I've been trying to avoid it but it might be necessary to help me focus.

Vincent Adultman

Silver

Re: Where do people with low GPAs go?

Post by Vincent Adultman » Mon May 29, 2017 12:10 am

The elephant graveyard.

Soup2Nuts

New

Post by Soup2Nuts » Mon May 29, 2017 12:18 am

You have 2 trains of thought:

Get into a high ranking school according or *gasp* you dont. Your life is over as your know it. Say goodbye to any future girlfriends. Not even the grocery clerk with 15 kids will want to be with a shitbag like you. You didnt make T14? You are an inch worm.

however,

If for some reason you go to a shit tier school or do a horrible job at a good one, there is still hope. Purely anecdotal, but I live in a place where there is a T100 law school. In this city, there are plenty of people doing very well for themselves. Yes regional, but I have come across people who werent regional that still were making bank. But a lot of these guys have a specialty. One lawyer i know of, went to a T200 law school. He seems to be the "authority" on DUIs/DWIs. Has his own practice. Just had a house built. Was getting a pool built when I was there at the time.

Point being, you are better off having the title lawyer and making a way for yourself than you would doing something else. Like, being in construction, or an HVAC guy or a plumber or something. Regardless of if you get into a T14 school or have low-ish GPA.

Take with a grain of salt. Just has been my experience where i live.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Mon May 29, 2017 12:30 am

The answer to this question is completely dependent on the law school you're at. For example, the advice one would give a below-median student at Columbia is completely different than the advice one would give a below-median student at Hofstra.

So if you want advice on your specific situation, share your school (or its general rank and region).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 29, 2017 12:41 am

rpupkin wrote:The answer to this question is completely dependent on the law school you're at. For example, the advice one would give a below-median student at Columbia is completely different than the advice one would give a below-median student at Hofstra.

So if you want advice on your specific situation, share your school (or its general rank and region).
I'm at a T-20.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Mon May 29, 2017 12:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:
rpupkin wrote:The answer to this question is completely dependent on the law school you're at. For example, the advice one would give a below-median student at Columbia is completely different than the advice one would give a below-median student at Hofstra.

I'm at a T-20.
First, stop "reading/ rereading every book I can about exam test taking." It's a waste of time at this point. If you don't care about big law and want to stay in the region, then focus on networking. Mass mail mid-law firms in your region. You shouldn't blow off your 2L and 3L years entirely, but you also shouldn't pour your energies into improving your GPA. In the scheme of things, your GPA/class-rank won't matter much.

What are you doing this summer?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon May 29, 2017 6:07 am

Soup2Nuts wrote:You have 2 trains of thought:

Get into a high ranking school according or *gasp* you dont. Your life is over as your know it. Say goodbye to any future girlfriends. Not even the grocery clerk with 15 kids will want to be with a shitbag like you. You didnt make T14? You are an inch worm.

however,

If for some reason you go to a shit tier school or do a horrible job at a good one, there is still hope. Purely anecdotal, but I live in a place where there is a T100 law school. In this city, there are plenty of people doing very well for themselves. Yes regional, but I have come across people who werent regional that still were making bank. But a lot of these guys have a specialty. One lawyer i know of, went to a T200 law school. He seems to be the "authority" on DUIs/DWIs. Has his own practice. Just had a house built. Was getting a pool built when I was there at the time.

Point being, you are better off having the title lawyer and making a way for yourself than you would doing something else. Like, being in construction, or an HVAC guy or a plumber or something. Regardless of if you get into a T14 school or have low-ish GPA.

Take with a grain of salt. Just has been my experience where i live.
0Ls should not be answering questions in the legal employment forum.

(Of course there are people from lower-ranked schools who have done well. Unless you know their GPAs and they graduated in the last few years that doesn't tell the OP anything.)

genericwit

Bronze

Post by genericwit » Mon May 29, 2017 7:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I'm at a T-20.
I'm at a T14. At a T20, You should be fine regionally. I have a friend who had that GPA, and he thinks he's brought it up this semester, and he got a diversity SA position doing the same work I am with a high GPA. He networked and really stressed prior work experience. The fact is that you'll be screened out of some OCIs, but if you're going to summer events (I've been getting emails about receptions for about a month now, but I'm passing on going since I personally feel like it might come off as disloyal to this firm) and socialize during OCIs, you'll be fine. I know a couple people who got offers before grades even came out in the spring. If you're good at networking, I think you can overcome anything.

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Mon May 29, 2017 7:55 pm

genericwit wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I'm at a T-20.
I'm at a T14. At a T20, You should be fine regionally. I have a friend who had that GPA, and he thinks he's brought it up this semester, and he got a diversity SA position doing the same work I am with a high GPA. He networked and really stressed prior work experience. The fact is that you'll be screened out of some OCIs, but if you're going to summer events (I've been getting emails about receptions for about a month now, but I'm passing on going since I personally feel like it might come off as disloyal to this firm) and socialize during OCIs, you'll be fine. I know a couple people who got offers before grades even came out in the spring. If you're good at networking, I think you can overcome anything.
You should never feel any type of loyalty to a law firm. They feel none for you. I'd take every networking opportunity you could get because you never know when a firm will decide to Latham you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ernie

Bronze

Post by ernie » Mon May 29, 2017 8:05 pm

Are you interested in public interest work? Many (most?) direct services orgs don't require a transcript or GPA.

Blackfish

New

Post by Blackfish » Mon May 29, 2017 9:09 pm

People with below median GPAs at T14s usually end up at firms like White & Case, Schulte, or Cadwalader. Vault rankings do not correlate with firm selectivity or firm financial health.

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Mon May 29, 2017 9:15 pm

Blackfish wrote:People with below median GPAs at T14s usually end up at firms like White & Case, Schulte, or Cadwalader. Vault rankings do not correlate with firm selectivity or firm financial health.
Well Cad has essentially killed its summer program.

Blackfish

New

Post by Blackfish » Mon May 29, 2017 9:20 pm

grades?? wrote:
Blackfish wrote:People with below median GPAs at T14s usually end up at firms like White & Case, Schulte, or Cadwalader. Vault rankings do not correlate with firm selectivity or firm financial health.
Well Cad has essentially killed its summer program.
In DC, yes, b/c of huge partner departures. But NY still has like 20 or so this summer, which is not so far from their previous summer classes.

genericwit

Bronze

Post by genericwit » Mon May 29, 2017 10:34 pm

Lacepiece23 wrote:
genericwit wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I'm at a T-20.
You should never feel any type of loyalty to a law firm. They feel none for you. I'd take every networking opportunity you could get because you never know when a firm will decide to Latham you.
I wasn't advocating for my decision. I'm just saying it's what I feel is right for myself, and I'd rather go to firm events for a firm where I have a better chance at getting a job than one I have no association with. Once I'm done here, I'm definitely going to be back at it. *shrug*

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”