Where is the action? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Soup2Nuts

New

Where is the action?

Post by Soup2Nuts » Sun May 28, 2017 11:35 pm

I guess what im asking is, which of the practices do people consider to be "interesting", "fun", fast paced type of environment? I figure I will have a better time finding something that interests me. Litigation is a major interest of mine. Going to court etc.

Point being, I like to do stuff. I cant have my WHOLE job be based behind a desk. I realize i will spend a lot of time there, but i dont want to spend 24/7 there.

all advice welcome.

deadpanic

Silver

Re: Where is the action?

Post by deadpanic » Mon May 29, 2017 4:41 am

Being an ADA is a semi-major city. You will be in court almost everyday. No billable hours. That being said, you will also have to deal with a fairly high volume of cases, many of which will end up pleading out with the PD or defense lawyer.

FWIW: I think a lot of law students like to glamorize being in court, but it's not quite all they end up imaging. It's a lot of pre-trial, procedural boring stuff, so just because you're in court does not mean it will be fast-paced, but you will try some cases.

cavalier1138

Re: Where is the action?

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon May 29, 2017 7:11 am

According to all the movies, the action's on Wall Street. Or in the military. Or doing other super-manly things that involve buying, selling, and/or shooting stuff.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”