Sentencing Guidelines Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
JakeTappers

Bronze

Sentencing Guidelines

Post by JakeTappers » Sat May 27, 2017 2:35 pm

I'm clerking now and hoping to become an AUSA with limited trial experience. Trying to familiarize myself with the sentencing guidelines as a small selling point when asked "why you" v. A state prosecutor with trial experience.

I have a copy and have been reading but what's the best way to crack this thing in terms of practicality. It's huge and I can follow along with the guidelines in sentencings but to have a more general understanding I'm not sure how to go about it with the extreme volume and lengthy commentary on each and every point.

Jchance

Silver

Re: Sentencing Guidelines

Post by Jchance » Sat May 27, 2017 3:29 pm

Why don't you ask your judge for guidance? I'm sure s/he is well versed in the guidelines.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat May 27, 2017 3:40 pm

If you go to the commission website I'm pretty sure there's a primer there for applying the guidelines. Beyond that, identifying which guidelines apply to particularly common kinds of cases might be a way to narrow this down. Do you do much with the sentencing in your court? (I only did for really contested ones.) Having a specific defendant's criminal history and offense to work through is really the best way to see how they work in practice, so yeah, talk to your judge - maybe ask to see the PSRs for upcoming sentencings and work through the calculations?

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Sat May 27, 2017 4:16 pm

Try and get ahold of the materials that probation uses to train new probation officers on writing sentencing reports. I took a class w/ a federal judge and one of our assignments was to prepare a sentencing memo + present it. We used those materials as the fact pattern. I doubt they are publicly available anywhere, but I'm sure your judge can help you get ahold of them.

ETA:

http://www.ussc.gov/education/training- ... ing-basics

http://www.ussc.gov/sites/default/files ... ksheet.pdf

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”