Foley & Lardner NY? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Foley & Lardner NY?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 26, 2017 10:14 am

I have read online that they have some trouble retaining associates because they stop following the Cravath pay scale after third year. Is there a commensurate work-life balance to make up for the below market pay scale?

Anonymous User

Re: Foley & Lardner NY?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 26, 2017 11:33 pm

Current F&L associate, not NYC though. Can't speak specifically to the New York office, but I'd have to say that the worklife balance of the other offices is generally seen as the benefits that makes up for pay scale compression. That being said they still pay good money in major markets and especially in their secondary markets. I have to say so far pretty pleased with the workload, the pay, and the people. Like every big law firm out there, there are nuances that make Foley annoying but from my experience it's been great so far.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 27, 2017 9:19 am

I completely agree with the poster above. I am a first year at a different office and so far, I have really enjoyed my experience.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 27, 2017 11:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:I have read online that they have some trouble retaining associates because they stop following the Cravath pay scale after third year. Is there a commensurate work-life balance to make up for the below market pay scale?
Edited -- Was trying to joke around. After a second read, I see that it was not apparent.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat May 27, 2017 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Sat May 27, 2017 11:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have read online that they have some trouble retaining associates because they stop following the Cravath pay scale after third year. Is there a commensurate work-life balance to make up for the below market pay scale?
Isn't foley generally known as the firm you go to if you had no other options?
Don't be an asshole.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 27, 2017 12:02 pm

Incoming 1st year at F&L, major market (that also pays market). Was wondering if any of you could speak to the bonus structure? I've heard anything ranging from '1st years don't get stub bonuses' to 'Foley plays way below market bonuses' but wondering if anyone could shed some light on that.

FWIW, I also got the sense from associates that work-life balance was better, but no way to reality check that.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Sat May 27, 2017 12:09 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Isn't foley generally known as the firm you go to if you had no other options?
Don't be an asshole.
Don't be an anon asshole. Vote for outing this idiot.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 27, 2017 8:35 pm

Curious as to why that individual would think foley has that reputation? I've always heard good things about it. Any thoughts?

Sprout

Silver

Post by Sprout » Sat May 27, 2017 10:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Curious as to why that individual would think foley has that reputation? I've always heard good things about it. Any thoughts?
I read that earlier and all I thought was wow that is a really rude thing to say. That's my thought. If you're lucky enough to work at a firm that pays well and has any semblance of a good work life balance... I dk, imo that seems pretty nice.
edit: also hey rude person don't "joke around" as you call it behind anon? K cool glad we had that talk.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 28, 2017 7:27 am

I have been opposite two Foley offices in transactions and I thought they did a fine job and seemed to have a better work-life balance then we did (V5 NY). Now in saying this, I think our partner was better (more informed, won more pts for our client, etc.) and my mid-level opposites in both deals didn't have as many transactions under their belts but were very capable and, compared to most lawyers, were a joy to work with.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 28, 2017 8:32 am

I have had similar experiences to the above poster (I am V-10 NYC). I actually know many friends who had Foley as their number one choice.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”