Dechert First Year Layoffs - NOT NEWS Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Dechert First Year Layoffs - NOT NEWS

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 25, 2017 6:57 pm

ATL Broke this, but this has been their status quo for a while.

Essentially, if you only had good reviews as a summer, you'll have no idea but they will hire add'l LLM's and if they're slow before they start, some summers will go and it is what it is.

Having a return offer at Dechert isn't really a return offer. Technically, it's always at will but Dechert uses the fact you assume that it's not to essentially draw in a large enough class that they will get a bunch of people if they need a lot or be able to lay a bunch off without much added cost.

You would be foolish to treat an offer here like an offer elsewhere. It's a great firm and great place to start your career. Off the record, the assumptions about the industry are used to your disadvantage. It's not that first years are fired because they couldn't cut it or didn't get enough work.

9 out of 10 of these laid off first years were going to be laid off before they started. It's not "we couldn't get you busy". It's that when they were stressing for the bar, they were already on a list.

It's a great place to work if you're 100% that your exit interview "everyone loved you" means everyone loved you "1st or 2nd most". You can't just be good enough. If you bank on just doing a good job and fitting in, your career may be over before it starts. This is not big law. This is Dechert.

YOU WILL BE SOLICITED BY TRANSITION SERVICES. I WAS CALLED THE SAME DAY, AND TOLD NOT TO CONTACT ANYONE AT THE FIRM ABOUT IT OR ANYONE ELSE OR THAT EVEN TELLING FAMILY CAN MAKE IT HARDER TO FIND ANOTHER JOB.

YOUR "TRANSITION SERVICES" ARE TALKING ABOUT HOW NICE THE FIRM WAS TO PAY FOR TRANSITION SERVICES, AND THE IMPORTANCE AS PRIORITY 1, 2 AND 3 OF NO ONE ELSE FINDING OUT DECHERT LAID ANYONE OFF.

You will also be pulled from the website early as the firm's policy is to "move away from time on the website and severance".
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu May 25, 2017 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Re: Dechert First Year Layoffs - NOT NEWS

Post by PeanutsNJam » Thu May 25, 2017 7:29 pm

Wow Dechert must have a huge penis

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 25, 2017 7:34 pm

You just feel dumb when you went to a lower vault firm because of fit, and turned down v-10's afterwards because it felt disloyal just to learn 6 months in that everyone saying to "enjoy" being slow and it's natural for first years means: we overhired, sorry. sign this, and look for a new job. if you don't sign it, get out.

I remember being called daily not by the firm but some car salesman they hired for y career advisement who never gave such advisement but called me that night to urge me not to tell anyone, including family or friends at the firm and somehow convinced me the most important thing to not getting a job was to never tell friends and family what happened.

Honestly, just knowing other people who got laid off is a blessing, because I Dechert's policy is to go to extreme lengths to make sure they don't find out about each other so they're easier to brush aside. Now, ideally, the aggrieved could maybe not unionize but they essentially have power in the sense they can by ensuring the rights of one, ensure the rights of all.

If you get a call from a career adviser, it's bullshit. Hang up on them. If they're paid by Dechert, they're not trustworthy and they do not give a shit about you or your family. Hang up.

favabeansoup

Bronze

Post by favabeansoup » Thu May 25, 2017 7:41 pm

Firm wide or office specific?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 25, 2017 7:44 pm

Def NYC, but ATL says firm wide. I'm not sure it's news. They've been doing this forever. Some idiot just signed their own death warrant. The firm is clear about the consequences of leaking to ATL. Because of one idiot, none of them may ever work again. At the very least, the one responsible should step forward. You shouldn't make sure no one gets their severance and is bad mouthed around the industry because you wanted to email ATL. At least come forward.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Man from Nantucket

Bronze

Post by Man from Nantucket » Thu May 25, 2017 7:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Def NYC, but ATL says firm wide. I'm not sure it's news. They've been doing this forever. Some idiot just signed their own death warrant. The firm is clear about the consequences of leaking to ATL. Because of one idiot, none of them may ever work again. At the very least, the one responsible should step forward. You shouldn't make sure no one gets their severance and is bad mouthed around the industry because you wanted to email ATL. At least come forward.
(Dechert partner)

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Thu May 25, 2017 7:52 pm

Man from Nantucket wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Def NYC, but ATL says firm wide. I'm not sure it's news. They've been doing this forever. Some idiot just signed their own death warrant. The firm is clear about the consequences of leaking to ATL. Because of one idiot, none of them may ever work again. At the very least, the one responsible should step forward. You shouldn't make sure no one gets their severance and is bad mouthed around the industry because you wanted to email ATL. At least come forward.
(Dechert partner)
100%

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 25, 2017 8:06 pm

No, but I was told in no uncertain times if this got on ATL, I'm done, career done, lawsuit, etc. I got calls about it saying essentially if I told family and it somehow got on ATL, that would be bad so that would be bad so don't tell my family. I'm pretty sure they knew I posted on TLS so focused on me - this was a little while ago. This has been ongoing, and today ATL found out so what I'm saying if they don't come forward, the people like me will be blamed. This isn't a white shoe firm. If you wouldn't go blow to blow with a Jacoby & Meyers partner because they sketch you out, picture that x10. If they have a decent bone in their body, come forward.

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Thu May 25, 2017 8:11 pm

TIL Dechert is Scientology

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Thu May 25, 2017 8:12 pm

That's ridiculous. If there are 11-12 people who got laid off, how could they tell who leaked it to ATL?

Vincent Adultman

Silver

Post by Vincent Adultman » Thu May 25, 2017 8:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:No, but I was told in no uncertain times if this got on ATL, I'm done, career done, lawsuit, etc. I got calls about it saying essentially if I told family and it somehow got on ATL, that would be bad so that would be bad so don't tell my family. I'm pretty sure they knew I posted on TLS so focused on me - this was a little while ago. This has been ongoing, and today ATL found out so what I'm saying if they don't come forward, the people like me will be blamed. This isn't a white shoe firm. If you wouldn't go blow to blow with a Jacoby & Meyers partner because they sketch you out, picture that x10. If they have a decent bone in their body, come forward.
Really glad this got leaked. These people sound like pieces of shit.

Abbie Doobie

Silver

Post by Abbie Doobie » Thu May 25, 2017 10:24 pm

this shit is fuckin crazy

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Thu May 25, 2017 10:41 pm

Dude.. totally recognize that it is a terrible situation for you. I wouldn't handle it well either. But you seem to be unhinged. Talk to love ones, friends, family, whoever.

Shitty situation, yes, but this is getting crazy.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 25, 2017 10:53 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:Dude.. totally recognize that it is a terrible situation for you. I wouldn't handle it well either. But you seem to be unhinged. Talk to love ones, friends, family, whoever.

Shitty situation, yes, but this is getting crazy.
Fair, but (1) someone leaking it brought it back into my purview and (2) I feel bad for not telling coworkers. I honestly think one or two people who aren't going to land on their feet would have already left if they had been given a heads up. (3) I'm angry because i'm going to have guilt about 2 for a while.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Thu May 25, 2017 10:53 pm

Whoa

Dechert is so much worse than I could have imagined

Pomeranian

Bronze

Post by Pomeranian » Thu May 25, 2017 11:05 pm

Bad situation all around since now word is out that “under billers” from Dechert are on the market. Dechert is no angel, but whoever leaked hurt all the laid off employees looking for work :(.

shelob

Silver

Post by shelob » Thu May 25, 2017 11:13 pm

jbagelboy wrote:Whoa

Dechert is so much worse than I could have imagined
Yeah

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Vincent Adultman

Silver

Post by Vincent Adultman » Thu May 25, 2017 11:25 pm

Also, is Dechert the mafia? What are they gonna do to you, kill you and your family for breaking your blood oath?

shelob

Silver

Post by shelob » Thu May 25, 2017 11:30 pm

I'm also confused by this happening now: you're saying people who have been working 7 months got the axe? That seems absurd to me on almost any metric

TheoO

Silver

Post by TheoO » Thu May 25, 2017 11:50 pm

We don't know how many of the laid off were first-years, do we?

redsox550

Post by redsox550 » Thu May 25, 2017 11:55 pm

anyone who thinks a v100, or any mega firm in the public eye, will sue them for tattle tailing to ATL, is an idiot.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Fri May 26, 2017 12:35 am

This news sucks but there is also one really unhinged Dechert anon on here who is making it really tough to parse any real info.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 26, 2017 12:55 am

In response to the assertion that people there for 7 months getting the axe is absurd, this has been standard protocol for some time.

I understand I shot my credibility in earlier posts, but the logic is that in 2009, the firms that rescinded 3L's got a lot of slack. Dechert never made the same corrections those firms did, and have made the same mistakes repeatedly. What they found is it's easier to do it after the people start. It's a lot of salary to bite so 7 months is rare. I'm saying 3-4 months. I get there's bitterness and anger in my posts, but not one thing I said in any post has been proven wrong and almost all of them have been proven right.

I realize that part of groupthink is making an ad hominem attack at the person providing any atypical description. I don't care about that. My hope is that a family that would otherwise not have bread on the table in a year from now will because they read this post. Instead, that spot would be taken by someone who would not have had a job anyway and came into it viewing it as a week-to-week gig as they should. I don't care if you attack my credibility. I only care about doing the right thing. i realize everything I said has been proven wrong, and Dechert has never hired any first years ever. The first years in the ATL article didn't exist because there is a big scheme to troll Dechert.

Again, it's not news. It happens repeatedly. Generally, you don't worry about it because you're told that there was 1 horror story or that 10% of a given class was just terrible. This is more a case of one first year probably breaking standard protocol than a "omg first years fired". If you want evidence, what evidence would you like? I will give whatever evidence I can reasonably give. I have not spread any misinformation, and while some of it may be impacted by being personally upset, no objective fact I have given has been incorrect in any way, shape or form. Moreover, my intent in giving these facts has not been anger. It has sincerely and honestly been a desire to help people, because this has a family wide impact and when you have one company not playing by the same moral code, you have wide scale social harm that can be prevented by simply spreading awareness.

Vincent Adultman

Silver

Post by Vincent Adultman » Fri May 26, 2017 1:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:In response to the assertion that people there for 7 months getting the axe is absurd, this has been standard protocol for some time.

I understand I shot my credibility in earlier posts, but the logic is that in 2009, the firms that rescinded 3L's got a lot of slack. Dechert never made the same corrections those firms did, and have made the same mistakes repeatedly. What they found is it's easier to do it after the people start. It's a lot of salary to bite so 7 months is rare. I'm saying 3-4 months. I get there's bitterness and anger in my posts, but not one thing I said in any post has been proven wrong and almost all of them have been proven right.

I realize that part of groupthink is making an ad hominem attack at the person providing any atypical description. I don't care about that. My hope is that a family that would otherwise not have bread on the table in a year from now will because they read this post. Instead, that spot would be taken by someone who would not have had a job anyway and came into it viewing it as a week-to-week gig as they should. I don't care if you attack my credibility. I only care about doing the right thing. i realize everything I said has been proven wrong, and Dechert has never hired any first years ever. The first years in the ATL article didn't exist because there is a big scheme to troll Dechert.

Again, it's not news. It happens repeatedly. Generally, you don't worry about it because you're told that there was 1 horror story or that 10% of a given class was just terrible. This is more a case of one first year probably breaking standard protocol than a "omg first years fired". If you want evidence, what evidence would you like? I will give whatever evidence I can reasonably give. I have not spread any misinformation, and while some of it may be impacted by being personally upset, no objective fact I have given has been incorrect in any way, shape or form. Moreover, my intent in giving these facts has not been anger. It has sincerely and honestly been a desire to help people, because this has a family wide impact and when you have one company not playing by the same moral code, you have wide scale social harm that can be prevented by simply spreading awareness.
(cuck)

DildaMan

Bronze

Post by DildaMan » Fri May 26, 2017 1:20 am

Anonymous User wrote: I understand I shot my credibility in earlier posts, but the logic is that in 2009, the firms that rescinded 3L's got a lot of slack. Dechert never made the same corrections those firms did, and have made the same mistakes repeatedly. What they found is it's easier to do it after the people start. It's a lot of salary to bite so 7 months is rare. I'm saying 3-4 months. I get there's bitterness and anger in my posts, but not one thing I said in any post has been proven wrong and almost all of them have been proven right.

I don't understand. You might want to chill out and maybe step away from the computer for a bit. It's hard to parse.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”