What should I tell the company that I got an offer from? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What should I tell the company that I got an offer from?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 25, 2017 3:40 pm

I am an international student and can only work for this company fewer months than the offer states. This position starts with a year contract and then turns a permanent job.

What should I tell the employer? I can't just accept the offer and start working until they get to like me and decide to sponsor a H-1 Visa, right? The contract period is clearly stated.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu May 25, 2017 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Npret

Gold

Re: What should I tell the company that I got an offer from?

Post by Npret » Thu May 25, 2017 4:04 pm

What do you mean " give you an H1B visa?" You mean apply for the lottery for you for 2018 or something else?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 25, 2017 4:11 pm

Npret wrote:What do you mean " give you an H1B visa?" You mean apply for the lottery for you for 2018 or something else?
Sorry, I've just corrected it. "sponsoring a H1B visa to allow me to apply for the lottery " should be more accurate.

ClubberLang

Bronze

Post by ClubberLang » Thu May 25, 2017 4:21 pm

If you can only work legally for, say, 6 months, agreeing to work somewhere for a year can't be the right thing to do. Just tell HR about the situation now. It is going to come out when you start and show them your employment authorization form anyways.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”