Kasowitz Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
StateSchooler

New

Kasowitz

Post by StateSchooler » Thu May 25, 2017 1:43 pm

Interested in lit and wondering what their deal is?

Is their reputation hurt by this whole Trump's legal crony image that seems to be in the news?

Borhas

Platinum

Re: Kasowitz

Post by Borhas » Thu May 25, 2017 2:06 pm

Was Cochran's reputation hurt by representing killer OJ Simpson?

If Trump goes down everyone will blame Trump for being an idiot, if he doesn't Kasowitz will get some credit. I don't see how this is bad for him/them.
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Thu May 25, 2017 4:26 pm

Go look at the cases Marc Kasowitz has litigated for Trump. He lost most of them. He even argued the totally opposite holding of Clinton v. Jones for presidential immunity. The guy comes off to me as one of those lawyers that just papers, threatens, and tries to intimidate you to death to squeeze out a good result. All bark, no bite (kind of like Trump).

I have no idea on the firm as a whole with any personal knowledge. Just an observation.

I doubt it hurts them, though. Jones Day has been riding the Trump wave and I doubt its brand is going to take a hit even though they are a much larger firm.

Pomeranian

Bronze

Post by Pomeranian » Thu May 25, 2017 9:03 pm

Since when is being the law firm of choice for the POTUS a bad thing?

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Thu May 25, 2017 9:41 pm

Pomeranian wrote:Since when is being the law firm of choice for the POTUS a bad thing?
Since Donald Trump became president...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 29, 2017 11:36 pm

Hey! My two cents, I interviewed at Kasowitz for a 2L summer position (2016)...I ended up going with another firm because Kas is extremely litigation-oriented. If you're even a little unsure about whether you want to commit your foreseeable career to strictly lit, then I would look elsewhere. Also, the interview was kinda weird because all of the associates I interviewed with kept mentioning "layoffs" and "the mass exodus." I honestly had no idea that was a thing. It spooked me. The impression I got is that the turnover rate is high and most people who aren't fired, flee. The personality-types of a lot of the associates rang cold and overall, the office's energy was very anxious and toxic. That was just my experience, though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 30, 2017 1:48 am

I have a friend who works there and he jokingly says the firm's headcount is 99% Jewish. It's not very diverse.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 30, 2017 11:59 am

Anecdotally, well before Trump, I know a handful of 2014 grads that ended up at Kasowitz and every single one was miserable and lateralled or otherwise left by choice within a year or so.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:14 am

If you're a smart 2L looking for a firm to spend a summer, or a federal clerk or mid-level looking to lateral, and you don't like Donald Trump (pretty common in New York), there are plenty of other firms to choose from. The positions Trump makes his lawyers take are really indefensible to liberal friends and family.

So I think Kasowitz will suffer from a recruiting perspective, which will medium-term erode the brand as they're less able to attract talent in New York. Same might be said for Morgan Lewis.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nyu2019maybeplease

Bronze

Post by nyu2019maybeplease » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:22 am

What's the joke?
Anonymous User wrote:I have a friend who works there and he jokingly says the firm's headcount is 99% Jewish. It's not very diverse.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If you're a smart 2L looking for a firm to spend a summer, or a federal clerk or mid-level looking to lateral, and you don't like Donald Trump (pretty common in New York), there are plenty of other firms to choose from. The positions Trump makes his lawyers take are really indefensible to liberal friends and family.

So I think Kasowitz will suffer from a recruiting perspective, which will medium-term erode the brand as they're less able to attract talent in New York. Same might be said for Morgan Lewis.
I can confirm they're already losing great attorneys over this.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If you're a smart 2L looking for a firm to spend a summer, or a federal clerk or mid-level looking to lateral, and you don't like Donald Trump (pretty common in New York), there are plenty of other firms to choose from. The positions Trump makes his lawyers take are really indefensible to liberal friends and family.

Can also confirm. Know someone there that is leaving because of the Trump situation. Doesn't want to stake his/her reputation on Kasowitz's decision with the Trump stuff.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Can also confirm. Know someone there that is leaving because of the Trump situation. Doesn't want to stake his/her reputation on Kasowitz's decision with the Trump stuff.
Since you're both anonymous, do you mind sharing more details? Firms "lose" attorneys all the time. But is Kasowitz losing partners with books of business? That's the real question.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:30 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Since you're both anonymous, do you mind sharing more details? Firms "lose" attorneys all the time. But is Kasowitz losing partners with books of business? That's the real question.
Im the second of the anonymous poster. I don't want to share more specifics without the blessing of the person in question, but I can say this person is not very junior. Otherwise I would like to be vague for now. I do know from the person the reason for leaving is reputational damage that has been done directly because of Trump-Kasowitz relationship. Doesn't want to be involved with that boat.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Im the second of the anonymous poster. I don't want to share more specifics without the blessing of the person in question, but I can say this person is not very junior. Otherwise I would like to be vague for now. I do know from the person the reason for leaving is reputational damage that has been done directly because of Trump-Kasowitz relationship.
This is too vague to be interesting or revealing. If the person leaving is a senior associate or service partner, who cares?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:43 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Im the second of the anonymous poster. I don't want to share more specifics without the blessing of the person in question, but I can say this person is not very junior. Otherwise I would like to be vague for now. I do know from the person the reason for leaving is reputational damage that has been done directly because of Trump-Kasowitz relationship.
This is too vague to be interesting. If the person leaving is a senior associate or service partner, who cares?
Touche, but I will ask the person in question if I can reveal more.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
This is too vague to be interesting. If the person leaving is a senior associate or service partner, who cares?
Sorry, I'm not trying to give you a hard time. But I think law students—who are the primary audience for these threads—struggle to appreciate what really matters. If Kasowitz gets less interest from students during OCI because of Marc Kasowitz's representation of Trump, that's not a serious problem for the firm. If a few associates lateral out because they're embarrassed to work at a firm that others associate with Trump, that's not a serious problem either. But if significant clients and/or business-generating partners bail because of Trump, that's when you know that Kasowitz is in trouble.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:54 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
Sorry, I'm not trying to give you a hard time. But I think law students—who are the primary audience for these threads—struggle to appreciate what really matters. If Kasowitz gets less interest from students during OCI because of Marc Kasowitz's representation of Trump, that's not a serious problem for the firm. If a few associates lateral out because they're embarrassed to work at a firm that others associate with Trump, that's not a serious problem either. But if significant clients and/or business-generating partners bail because of Trump, that's when you know that Kasowitz is in trouble.
Totally agree with you. But I would just say I don't think Kasowitz is a firm on the up.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:27 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yup. Big time partner gone. I was told if this partner ever left it was time to jump ship.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rpupkin wrote: Since you're both anonymous, do you mind sharing more details? Firms "lose" attorneys all the time. But is Kasowitz losing partners with books of business? That's the real question.
Yup. Big time partner gone. I was told if this partner ever left it was time to jump ship.
That's big. If true, we'll probably see this news in the legal press any day now.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:41 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
rpupkin wrote: Since you're both anonymous, do you mind sharing more details? Firms "lose" attorneys all the time. But is Kasowitz losing partners with books of business? That's the real question.
That's big. If true, we'll probably see this news in the legal press any day now.
Was already in the press.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Was already in the press.
Link? I know that they lost a couple of partners to McKool earlier this year, but that was before the Trump stuff.

Pomeranian

Bronze

Post by Pomeranian » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:51 pm

Marc Kasowitz to Trump: "[Preet Bhahara] is going to get you!" :lol:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:56 pm

deleted

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!