Soft spoken Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Soft spoken

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 25, 2017 11:07 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I thought criticizing women for being "bossy" when they speak up was the big complaint. You also can't tell women they need to speak up more?
Why is the problem what you can't tell women rather than women being called bossy if they speak up and too quiet if they don't (which is entirely a real thing)?
It just reads like women trying to wall themselves off from criticism of any kind. As a former supervisor, there are absolutely situations where employees need guidance on how to behave, especially when it comes to interacting with clients (and it almost always requires some form of "tone policing"). Entry level employees usually don't come in knowing exactly how to behave in the new environment.

People dialing it up to 11 for every comment on a woman's conduct in the workplace are not contributing to a productive conversation.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu May 25, 2017 11:16 pm

Except no one is doing that. I was pissed at balla for whining (and using the made-up insult SJW) because someone brought up the possibility that sexism was involved in one specific comment in one specific setting. That's not the same as saying no one is allowed to comment on women's job performance ever. (I would say that people might want to think about how to couch such comments so they don't sound like common stereotypes, but then I'm sure good supervisors do that.)

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Post by ballouttacontrol » Fri May 26, 2017 12:58 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Except no one is doing that. I was pissed at balla for whining (and using the made-up insult SJW) because someone brought up the possibility that sexism was involved in one specific comment in one specific setting. That's not the same as saying no one is allowed to comment on women's job performance ever. (I would say that people might want to think about how to couch such comments so they don't sound like common stereotypes, but then I'm sure good supervisors do that.)
TBF i typed my unhelpful comment before the OP's reply to the other unhelpful comment projecting personal societal objectives onto an individual situation. agree to disagree on the rest of the SJW (social justice warrior) stuff, dont feel like arguing that with ppl that are clearly the polar opposite of me.

anyways,, i've left my substantive comment upthread. carry on

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri May 26, 2017 1:20 am

ballouttacontrol wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:Except no one is doing that. I was pissed at balla for whining (and using the made-up insult SJW) because someone brought up the possibility that sexism was involved in one specific comment in one specific setting. That's not the same as saying no one is allowed to comment on women's job performance ever. (I would say that people might want to think about how to couch such comments so they don't sound like common stereotypes, but then I'm sure good supervisors do that.)
TBF i typed my unhelpful comment before the OP's reply to the other unhelpful comment projecting personal societal objectives onto an individual situation. agree to disagree on the rest of the SJW (social justice warrior) stuff, dont feel like arguing that with ppl that are clearly the polar opposite of me.

anyways,, i've left my substantive comment upthread. carry on
I mean, the unhelpful/projecting comment doesn't really go to not wanting to argue about it, but whatever dude.

To be fair, I do agree that if an interviewer brings up something like that it's worth thinking about. Not slavishly following to a tee (if the interviewer is an asshole or a bad lawyer their idea of what makes a good applicant may not be helpful), but certainly considering.

Bluem_11

Bronze

Post by Bluem_11 » Mon May 29, 2017 12:02 am

One partner I've worked for is softest speaking dude you can imagine. Never raises his voice, can't schmooze if his life depended on it etc. But he bills big numbers and is highly efficient. There are different ways to be a successful attorney.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”