Don't give up: in case anyone needs a success story.. Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Don't give up: in case anyone needs a success story..

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 22, 2017 7:55 pm

I did not do well in law school, I was in the top 1/2 of my class. In fact, I fell into a deep depression after getting a C in my con law class my 1L year. I still don't know how the fuck that happened. I received the highest grades in legal writing and did well in my other courses, but that C knocked me out of OCI fast. Also, I did not go to a top 10 school. Fast forward to the end of 3L. Applying to jobs. I landed a compliance role. Non-legal but still using my legal analysis skills. I thought it was temporary until I could get a real lawyer job after passing the bar. It turns out, I it took me four tries to pass the bar exam. It was the fucking worst. It felt like I kept getting doors slammed and I did not want to live anymore. I went to therapy. I really relied on my support system. I kept trying to pass, and once I did... the interviews from firms, big and small came.. and all of the darkness suddenly became worth it.

Why? I made sure to do useful things at my compliance role in a niche area. I specifically asked to be put on assignments that would demonstrate an in-depth skillset. I gained actual work experience. I did the administrative shit that a monkey could do and I did it gratefully. I got promoted, got more substantive assignments, etc. Now, I have a leg up on newly minted attorneys. I can say I have "expertise" in an area even though I've only worked in it for 2 years. I have search firms contacting me and interviews are being scheduled.

Look - you may not get that high paying job at first, but humble yourself and do the work. The world does not end with a bad grade. YOU WILL BE OKAY. Things will work out. Expand your job search to consider jobs that aren't traditionally legal, do it for the skills you'll gain, and you'll find yourself much better.

I just really needed to share this, because I know how difficult it is to see hope when you're constantly told that doing X is the guarantee for success... that OCI is the only way. Also failing the bar exam is just so fucking terrible and the worst. I was convinced that practicing law was not in the cards for me, but you can't give up that easily, you owe it to yourself to give it your all...even if it takes 10 fucking tries. It doesn't matter. The only time that matters is the time you pass. I'm just here to testify that there ARE non-traditional ways to be successful and still make good $$ and STILL excel in the legal field later on EVEN IF it takes time.

Just don't lose hope and carve your own path if you have to. Look into places you would have never considered. BE HUMBLE AND LEARN SOMETHING.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon May 22, 2017 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

se7en

New

Re: Don't give up: in case anyone needs a success story..

Post by se7en » Mon May 22, 2017 9:11 pm

Good motivating story.

However, I think it is safe to say that top 1/3 = you did well in law school.

Mickfromgm

Bronze

Post by Mickfromgm » Mon May 22, 2017 9:21 pm

Congratulations! I admire your persistence - it paid off.

However, I too had the same reaction -- you say you didn't do well, but you were in the top ⅓ of the class? Sucks to be the bottom ⅔, eh? :)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 22, 2017 9:26 pm

Oh man..sorry guys. In my haste to get this post out, I made a typo. I was in the top 1/2, not top 1/3. :oops:

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue May 23, 2017 6:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:Oh man..sorry guys. In my haste to get this post out, I made a typo. I was in the top 1/2, not top 1/3. :oops:
So you still did better than 50% of your class...

Again, good on you for hustling after school, but you didn't do badly in school. It does sound like you went to a school where you had to do extremely well to get a decent job out of the gates, but that doesn't mean that your performance has to be measured relative to that metric.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 23, 2017 10:08 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Oh man..sorry guys. In my haste to get this post out, I made a typo. I was in the top 1/2, not top 1/3. :oops:
So you still did better than 50% of your class...

Again, good on you for hustling after school, but you didn't do badly in school. It does sound like you went to a school where you had to do extremely well to get a decent job out of the gates, but that doesn't mean that your performance has to be measured relative to that metric.
This is accurate. I didn't go to a T10 so it was all about grades. I definitely beat myself up over the fact that I wasn't in the top 10 percent, which was dumb in hindsight. I just wanted to pass along some advice for others who might be doing the same.

j0x0c0

New

Post by j0x0c0 » Tue May 23, 2017 12:57 pm

Idk man... congrats on making it, but if I were giving advice to a buddy, all else equal, I probably wouldn't tell him to keep trying after failing the bar the first 2x. I mean, if you're JKF Jr. and you don't have anything else to worry about, sure - go have a blast. But if you're Joe Schmoe, with student loans, and plans to buy a house, or get married, or take vacations, and without a trust fund....? Just saying, blind persistence is not always the best course of action.

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Tue May 23, 2017 2:44 pm

j0x0c0 wrote:Idk man... congrats on making it, but if I were giving advice to a buddy, all else equal, I probably wouldn't tell him to keep trying after failing the bar the first 2x. I mean, if you're JKF Jr. and you don't have anything else to worry about, sure - go have a blast. But if you're Joe Schmoe, with student loans, and plans to buy a house, or get married, or take vacations, and without a trust fund....? Just saying, blind persistence is not always the best course of action.
Maybe I got the timeline wrong, but the way I read it, OP had landed a compliance role already. So while he probably wasn't making bank, he still had a job. Studying during off-hours and re-taking the bar every half-year is a pretty minimal investment.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 23, 2017 2:57 pm

lolwat wrote:
j0x0c0 wrote:Idk man... congrats on making it, but if I were giving advice to a buddy, all else equal, I probably wouldn't tell him to keep trying after failing the bar the first 2x. I mean, if you're JKF Jr. and you don't have anything else to worry about, sure - go have a blast. But if you're Joe Schmoe, with student loans, and plans to buy a house, or get married, or take vacations, and without a trust fund....? Just saying, blind persistence is not always the best course of action.
Maybe I got the timeline wrong, but the way I read it, OP had landed a compliance role already. So while he probably wasn't making bank, he still had a job. Studying during off-hours and re-taking the bar every half-year is a pretty minimal investment.

Yep. Exactly. I was working and hustling at my job, getting a promotion while also studying for the bar exam. I wasn't just sitting on my ass and studying for the bar exam, doing nothing else. There's a difference.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

1styearlateral

Silver

Post by 1styearlateral » Tue May 23, 2017 3:58 pm

Great job, but keep us posted on if those interviews develop into offers. That's what's important.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 23, 2017 4:37 pm

Thank you. Your post has really brightened up my day. I lost all hope with not being able to pass the bar. Every ounce of confidence inside me is gone, every ability I have is being questioned, and despite once telling myself I was a mentally strong person, I find it hard to see a light at the end of the tunnel. failed the bar exam twice and having student loans isn't helping either. However, seeing your posts does give me something positive to believe in. Thanks for sharing - it helps out those in the darkness.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”