Kirkland & Ellis opening a Boston office Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Kirkland & Ellis opening a Boston office

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 22, 2017 11:26 am

Lincoln

Silver

Re: Kirkland & Ellis opening a Boston office

Post by Lincoln » Mon May 22, 2017 11:38 am

Quality post, OP.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon May 22, 2017 12:11 pm

How many attys?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 22, 2017 12:17 pm

jbagelboy wrote:How many attys?
From the press release, it looks like two equity partners and one non equity partner, all corporate. Doesn't mention associates.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 22, 2017 1:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:How many attys?
From the press release, it looks like two equity partners and one non equity partner, all corporate. Doesn't mention associates.
Just announced this AM, so definitely will be built out over the summer. Probably similar trajectory to Houston.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Abbie Doobie

Silver

Post by Abbie Doobie » Mon May 22, 2017 2:22 pm

yeah but y tho?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 22, 2017 2:24 pm

Abbie Doobie wrote:yeah but y tho?
Boston PE firms.

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Mon May 22, 2017 2:28 pm

Kirkland is killing it. Besides wachtell, I think they've got the brightest law future.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon May 22, 2017 2:34 pm

Johann wrote:Kirkland is killing it. Besides wachtell, I think they've got the brightest law future.
overexpansion trap tho?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Mon May 22, 2017 2:41 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
Johann wrote:Kirkland is killing it. Besides wachtell, I think they've got the brightest law future.
overexpansion trap tho?
could be. my gut tells me in a globalized world (and a proven brand) theres no such thing.

the latest amlaw numbers indicate to me theres enough growth opps for the V10 (and a couple other players) to basically swallow the legal demand of the V50 and then create 2 stratifications of biglaw - mega firms and rote law firms. rote law firms will be doing a shitload of compliance and Big 4 like tasks, and the top dollar value add will be reserved for the new 15 or so firms absolutely dominating right now. boutiques will of course continue to have their place.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 22, 2017 3:00 pm

Can't wait to get Lathamed by Kirkland when the recession hits.

Jchance

Silver

Post by Jchance » Mon May 22, 2017 3:11 pm

Johann wrote: the latest amlaw numbers indicate to me theres enough growth opps for the V10 (and a couple other players) to basically swallow the legal demand of the V50 and then create 2 stratifications of biglaw - mega firms and rote law firms. rote law firms will be doing a shitload of compliance and Big 4 like tasks, and the top dollar value add will be reserved for the new 15 or so firms absolutely dominating right now. boutiques will of course continue to have their place.
I'm sympathetic to this view, but I'd like to hear what others have to say re litigation--will the 2 stratifications be the same there as well?

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Mon May 22, 2017 3:35 pm

Jchance wrote:
Johann wrote: the latest amlaw numbers indicate to me theres enough growth opps for the V10 (and a couple other players) to basically swallow the legal demand of the V50 and then create 2 stratifications of biglaw - mega firms and rote law firms. rote law firms will be doing a shitload of compliance and Big 4 like tasks, and the top dollar value add will be reserved for the new 15 or so firms absolutely dominating right now. boutiques will of course continue to have their place.
I'm sympathetic to this view, but I'd like to hear what others have to say re litigation--will the 2 stratifications be the same there as well?
It seems that most publications and commentators expect a stratification to occur or deepen, although perhaps not as extreme as the one johann predicts.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 22, 2017 4:35 pm

Jchance wrote:
I don't think so. Kirkland's litigation practice is shrinking relative to its other practice areas. Doubtful it's going to stratify as much.

skers

Platinum

Post by skers » Mon May 22, 2017 4:40 pm

Bigger question is prob why this took as long as it did given Kirkland's major client base in Boston.

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Mon May 22, 2017 4:44 pm

my statement is def an oversimplification. by "rote" i mean things like fact finding memos in litigation etc, so it wont be your quite bare minimum compliance a lot of big 4 does. its more meant as an example. there will be firms that have the client relationship and handle the day to day work and then firms that handle the truly exceptional work.

for anyone that wants to know what this looks like - here is GE doing it. GE was one of the first major corps to truly focus on carving out an in house legal dept thats as good as external advisors. turns out 30 years later, they are admitting they were wrong. they can cheaper compliance work and rates done by the big 4.

http://www.journalofaccountancy.com/new ... 15836.html

as someone who isnt at a $3mm PPP firm, I'm staying put. I don't think its happening overnight. And I dont necessarily think there wont be a place for the other players. but the huge entry level salaries right out of the gate and huge billable rates paid by clients will probably begin to be separated.

not sure how many chambers rated top partners are going to stick around at non $3mm PPP firms.

Jchance

Silver

Post by Jchance » Mon May 22, 2017 6:12 pm

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

favabeansoup

Bronze

Post by favabeansoup » Mon May 22, 2017 6:15 pm

So when are we going to start hearing about laterals and summers getting insane signing bonuses? Like in 3 months when the office has 50 attorneys?

I may shit on KE for their culture, even if I think it's deserved, but damn if they don't know how to just shower new offices with $$$.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 23, 2017 11:39 am

jbagelboy wrote:
overexpansion trap tho?
Don't think so. They've been really careful about overexpansion.

flapjack15

New

Post by flapjack15 » Wed May 24, 2017 10:51 am

Anyone know how one can apply specifically to that office?

Jchance

Silver

Post by Jchance » Wed May 24, 2017 11:03 am

^
reach out to the partners in charge via email and they'd forward your app to the appropriate people.

That said, "[t]he new office will be lead by Kirkland partners Armand A. Della Monica, Neal J. Reenan and Ian N. Bushner. No new attorneys will be hired in the short term, Ballis said."

https://bol.bna.com/kirkland-ellis-to-o ... expansion/

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jd20132013

Silver

Post by jd20132013 » Wed May 24, 2017 5:28 pm

And yet it's one of the worst places to be an associate

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Wed May 24, 2017 5:48 pm

Johann wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
overexpansion trap tho?
could be. my gut tells me in a globalized world (and a proven brand) theres no such thing.

the latest amlaw numbers indicate to me theres enough growth opps for the V10 (and a couple other players) to basically swallow the legal demand of the V50 and then create 2 stratifications of biglaw - mega firms and rote law firms. rote law firms will be doing a shitload of compliance and Big 4 like tasks, and the top dollar value add will be reserved for the new 15 or so firms absolutely dominating right now. boutiques will of course continue to have their place.
Wouldnt you agree, though, that a better metric for this is AmLaw ranking (i.e. PPP and RPP) rather than Vault ranking (i.e. prestige dartboard).

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Wed May 24, 2017 6:46 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
Johann wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
overexpansion trap tho?

Wouldnt you agree, though, that a better metric for this is AmLaw ranking (i.e. PPP and RPP) rather than Vault ranking (i.e. prestige dartboard).
Yeah absolutely. I more just mean they overlap for the most part but yes the amlaw numbers are the telling part.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:30 pm

Choate just lost head of PE and a member of its exec committee to K&E Boston today. Pretty crazy and surprising. He was widely seen as a future leader of the firm and one of the biggest rainmakers. Huge loss.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”