Very important networking call during work day Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Very important networking call during work day

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 22, 2017 12:40 am

Edit:

Thanks guys. Guess I was blowing this out of proportion. Hopefully it's not a big deal.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon May 22, 2017 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vincent Adultman

Silver

Re: Very important networking call during work day

Post by Vincent Adultman » Mon May 22, 2017 12:57 am

"I will be out of touch from X to Y. Thank you."

AJordan

Silver

Post by AJordan » Mon May 22, 2017 5:33 am

Is your lunch rigid? Take early/late lunch during the call and then it's not even an issue.
Last edited by AJordan on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 22, 2017 5:41 am

I've used the "forgot something, need to run home" excuse for these types of calls with recruiters. If you live close enough, it's a decent excuse that usually doesn't get much pushback.

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Mon May 22, 2017 9:41 am

Just leave, and have your assistant tell internal callers you're out at a doctor's appointment?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Mon May 22, 2017 9:54 am

It definitely took me a while, but what I've figured out is that everything isn't that urgent. The likelihood that you will have something that needs to be done asap, that you didn't already know about at that same exact time, is likely pretty slim. You could have a fire drill, but the partner will just find someone else.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Mon May 22, 2017 10:29 am

Doctor's appointment. Easy.

Mickfromgm

Bronze

Post by Mickfromgm » Mon May 22, 2017 11:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:I have a very important networking call with a high level executive that my friend went through hoops to get connected, and I cannot reschedule.

It's during the workday. I'm a junior at a law firm.

How do I tell the partner here that I won't be available for an hour or so? Usually it should be fine, but if I get roped into a client call last minute or the partner wants me to finish something within the hour, how do I say "uh sorry but I can't. I have a really important call I need to take right now"? Is there even a way/excuse to do this? Should I just be upfront about it or say it's something personal?

Also, it's a small office so I can't just take the call in my office. I would need to physically step out for an hour.
Just tell the partner you are not available from 9 to 10 a.m. or whatever. Why is this such a concern? Just say you are out of pocket that hour and cannot be reached. Whether you are having a doctor's appointment (hint, hint), a couple's therapy with your SO, a terrible bout of diarrhea, etc., no reasonable partner would force you to take a call then or to count your unavailability against you -- s/he would do the call without you, or reschedule the call if you are that indispensable. I know I didn't get upset over an associate's unavailability, as long as it wasn't last minute or overly excessive

No sane partner will question a doctor's visit or even attempt to probe the circumstances surrounding the visit, or symptoms being treated. If anyone wants to get technical, every doctor's office has a waiting room, whether you have an appointment or not. lol

AJordan

Silver

Post by AJordan » Mon May 22, 2017 11:28 am

Ooooo that's a good one. We use that in the Army. People question a lot of things but they don't question the bubble guts excuse. When used sparingly it's almost a get out of jail free card as long as it's preemptive notice.
Last edited by AJordan on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Post by ballouttacontrol » Mon May 22, 2017 11:52 am

have you never stepped away from your desk for an hour in almost a year (at least) of working at that firm?

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Mon May 22, 2017 12:01 pm

I personally would not lie about an appointment etc. but it's not lying to say you're unavailable during that time. I mean no one truly cares why you're unavailable for a short time, and you probably wouldn't want to be at a firm that monitors your whereabouts every moment, but if it just so happens that you say you have a doctor's appointment and someone sees you at Starbucks on your phone, that might raise a few eyebrows.

I'm at a small firm so we just inform our team or put it on the calendar etc. if we know we're going to be out for a block of time during the workday.

ur_hero

Bronze

Post by ur_hero » Mon May 22, 2017 8:08 pm

ballouttacontrol wrote:have you never stepped away from your desk for an hour in almost a year (at least) of working at that firm?
^

arklaw13

Gold

Post by arklaw13 » Mon May 22, 2017 8:19 pm

Jesus...what kind of people do you work for...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”