Developing Business Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Developing Business

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 21, 2017 10:58 pm

My firm has been putting a lot of pressure on me to get new clients (just had my review). I'm at a ~ 30 attorney lit boutique firm in a mid-market. Basically insinuated if that doesn't start happening I need to start blowing past the billables target to make up for it.

I haven't brought in clients yet after practicing for a few years. I honestly don't know where to start. Unless you have relationships with people starting or already in companies or in dire need of a lawyer I'm not sure how I can bring in clients.

Any advice?

FullRamboLSGrad

New

Re: Developing Business

Post by FullRamboLSGrad » Sun May 21, 2017 11:04 pm

Step one get busy with those billable targets.

Step two, join some low level political job or board and socialize. Think like some local entity in charge of "economic opportunity" or "regional advancement" or other buzzword. My town has a lot of organizations that task themselves with revitalizing our urban core for example.

Somebody somewhere needs a lawyer.

lolwat

Silver

Re: Developing Business

Post by lolwat » Mon May 22, 2017 12:25 am

It really depends what kind of clients and work they expect you to bring. A junior to mid level associate isn't bring in million-dollar cases. You also will not get major corporate clients; they basically already have a shortlist they go to when they have a case. So that just isn't happening (although you can and should start building those relationships now). If your firm expects that from you right now it's time to look elsewhere.

In general, business development takes years. From everything i've gathered, it's really getting out in the community, getting involved in everything you have an interest in everywhere, meeting people and making sure (1) they remember you (in a good way) and (2) they know you're an attorney.

Of course, i don't have a book of business so take that advice with a grain of salt. Or many grains. :)

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”