Fed GS Pay Scale? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Leprechaun

Bronze

Fed GS Pay Scale?

Post by Leprechaun » Sun May 21, 2017 12:57 am

Would someone explain the Fed GS pay scale please?

How does someone move up steps and grades?

If I am going in as an Honors Attorney at Grade 11 Step 8 with the IRS Office of Chief Counsel, what is the timing for future movement along the scale? After a year, do you go to Grade 11 Step 9, or Grade 12 Step something, or some other time frame?

Thanks for your help.

lapolicia

Bronze

Re: Fed GS Pay Scale?

Post by lapolicia » Sun May 21, 2017 2:19 am

You'll go to a GS-12 next year. It's virtually automatic as long as your performance is at least meets expectations. A year after that you'll go to a GS-13. And a year after that you'll go to a 14. After 14, you'll move up the steps every year (at first) to a GS-14 step 2 etc. if you get promoted to a management position, you'll go to a 15. Then you could theoretically go to the SES, but odds of that are about as high as making biglaw partner as a junior associate.

Leprechaun

Bronze

Post by Leprechaun » Sun May 21, 2017 11:05 am

Laplicia,

So when you go to the next grade, do you stay at the same step?

IE, I start at Grade 11 Step 8, is the first bump to Grade 12 Step 8 or to some other step within Grade 12?

Thank you,

Mike

lapolicia

Bronze

Post by lapolicia » Sun May 21, 2017 1:24 pm

Leprechaun wrote:Laplicia,

So when you go to the next grade, do you stay at the same step?

IE, I start at Grade 11 Step 8, is the first bump to Grade 12 Step 8 or to some other step within Grade 12?

Thank you,

Mike
No, you have to follow the OPM two-step rule to figure which step you get promoted to. Basically, you add 2 steps to your current step and then find the first step at the next grade level that is a higher pay than the result. For example, from a GS-11 step 8 your next promotion after a year would be to a GS-12 step 4. After that, to a GS-13, step 1. Note that the step you get promoted to might be a little higher due to across the board pay increases or performance pay increases (if the IRS has that).

Leprechaun

Bronze

Post by Leprechaun » Sun May 21, 2017 1:28 pm

Thank you. I appreciate the explanation.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”