Fiance won't quit stressful job Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Phil Brooks

Bronze

Re: Fiance won't quit stressful job

Post by Phil Brooks » Fri May 19, 2017 11:35 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Also, re: the "distastefulness" of this thread: this forum is here for people to raise questions they think other law students/lawyers can help them with. This is a question involving legal jobs. People have responded seriously and thoughtfully. There's also nothing about posting here that suggests the OP isn't *also* talking to friends/family/etc., or that the OP is going to blindly follow what anonymous people on the internet say. If you personally would be uncomfortable raising such a subject here you certainly never have to, but there's no reason someone should be shamed for doing so. (I might be kind of upset if I were the fiancée and I read about this here, but that's something the OP has to weigh in deciding where to turn for advice. Family and friends pose a similar risk, frankly.)
Thank you. This should be a general rule for TLS. I'm so tired of seeing the generic useless response, "Lol, why are you asking Internet strangers?"

encore1101

Silver

Post by encore1101 » Fri May 19, 2017 11:43 am

Well, hopefully, this surgery can be the wake-up call that your fiance needs that something (either her job or her personal investment in her clients) needs to change. Best of luck, OP.

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Post by ballouttacontrol » Fri May 19, 2017 12:25 pm

if this experience doesn't change her mind tbh I don't think there's anything you can do. I'd probably break up with her if she doesn't come to her own revelation following the surgery. I've gone through dealing with people doing shitty stuff to themselves....there is nothing you can do

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Fri May 19, 2017 3:31 pm

Hey OP: how are you doing?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 19, 2017 8:30 pm

Npret wrote:Hey OP: how are you doing?
Good. The fiance's surgery went fine and she should fully recover.

I really don't have the energy to address this issue now.. may have to wait a couple of more days before I can begin to tackle this.

Thanks for all the replies. They've all been helpful.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Fri May 19, 2017 8:39 pm

Phil Brooks wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:Also, re: the "distastefulness" of this thread: this forum is here for people to raise questions they think other law students/lawyers can help them with. This is a question involving legal jobs. People have responded seriously and thoughtfully. There's also nothing about posting here that suggests the OP isn't *also* talking to friends/family/etc., or that the OP is going to blindly follow what anonymous people on the internet say. If you personally would be uncomfortable raising such a subject here you certainly never have to, but there's no reason someone should be shamed for doing so. (I might be kind of upset if I were the fiancée and I read about this here, but that's something the OP has to weigh in deciding where to turn for advice. Family and friends pose a similar risk, frankly.)
Thank you. This should be a general rule for TLS. I'm so tired of seeing the generic useless response, "Lol, why are you asking Internet strangers?"
Realer shit was never said on TLS. This post should be stickied. I love this site for the information, but people need to quit being assholes.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Fri May 19, 2017 8:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I really don't have the energy to address this issue now.. may have to wait a couple of more days before I can begin to tackle this.

Great news. Take your time. You can always vent here or ask for advice such as we might have to share. Keep your head up.

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Fri May 19, 2017 9:15 pm

Npret wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Great news. Take your time. You can always vent here or ask for advice such as we might have to share. Keep your head up.
Yeah. Good to hear. I would suggest taking a little time anyway -- even if you had the energy, she probably doesn't.

elendinel

Silver

Post by elendinel » Sat May 20, 2017 12:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Good plan; try to reduce your stress and make sure you're taking care of yourself, too.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 21, 2017 6:50 pm

OP here.

My fiance was released today from the hospital and we're back home.

As she's taken the next 2 weeks off from the PD, I suggested that she use that time to apply for new jobs. She again said that she didn't want to leave the PD because she claims that she can manage her anxiety. When I told her that the job is affecting her heath, she said that I cannot say for sure that she will get sick again. When I asked her why she was willing to risk everything for this job, she mentioned that she likes it and that she doesn't want to betray her coworkers.

The mere suggesting that she look for another job really upsets her.

I told her that this was a very serious issue for me and she suggested therapy. She also suggested breaking up.

I don't see how she's going to change.

Desert Fox

Diamond

Post by Desert Fox » Sun May 21, 2017 7:13 pm

She probably needs to be on anxiety medication. Zoloft and xanax do wonders. What she is experiencing is not a normal reaction. She might need meds and treatement to get back to normal.

But if she's willing to sink your relationship to defend rapists and theives then you are under no obligation to stick around.
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 21, 2017 7:16 pm

Desert Fox wrote:She probably needs to be on anxiety medication. Zoloft and xanax do wonders. What she is experiencing is not a normal reaction. She might need meds and treatement to get back to normal.

But if she's willing to sink your relationship to defend rapists and theives then you are under no obligation to stick around.
She already takes anxiety mediation. It has helped some, but the anxiety is still crippling.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Sun May 21, 2017 7:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here.

As she's taken the next 2 weeks off from the PD, I suggested that she use that time to apply for new jobs. She again said that she didn't want to leave the PD because she claims that she can manage her anxiety. When I told her that the job is affecting her heath, she said that I cannot say for sure that she will get sick again. When I asked her why she was willing to risk everything for this job, she mentioned that she likes it and that she doesn't want to betray her coworkers.

I told her that this was a very serious issue for me and she suggested therapy. She also suggested breaking up.

Will she listen if her doctor says she has to change?

Either way OP, you can go get counseling on your own to help you decide what to do and to manage your own anxiety and stress about the relationship. I suggest that an expert can help you figure out what steps you can take and help you understand your own feelings about your relationship.

Maybe she's never going to change; maybe she will change but what you are doing now isn't working for either one of you.

It's great that she is home now and the surgery went well. Maybe don't even say more about it until you get expert advice and decide what you want to do here.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun May 21, 2017 7:30 pm

I'm sorry, OP.

Desert Fox

Diamond

Post by Desert Fox » Sun May 21, 2017 7:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:She probably needs to be on anxiety medication. Zoloft and xanax do wonders. What she is experiencing is not a normal reaction. She might need meds and treatement to get back to normal.

She already takes anxiety mediation. It has helped some, but the anxiety is still crippling.
There are two kinds:

acute care- stuff like xanax and other benzos that only treat the sympotoms. They don't work very long term. Really just act like a stiff drink.

longterm shit like zoloft that fixes the issue. if she isn't on something like that she should be.
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 21, 2017 7:44 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

There are two kinds:

acute care- stuff like xanax and other benzos that only treat the sympotoms. They don't work very long term. Really just act like a stiff drink.

longterm shit like zoloft that fixes the issue. if she isn't on something like that she should be.
She's currently on Zoloft. It helps some but it totally cure the anxiety.

Mickfromgm

Bronze

Post by Mickfromgm » Sun May 21, 2017 8:32 pm

If she offered a couples' counseling/therapy, you should go for it. Having an independent professional standing in the middle as a facilitator makes all the difference - s/he could set her straight or s/he could point out flaw in your perspective.

From the sound of it, she is willing (or at least is open) to breaking up with you for her job. I hate to say it but that's all you have to know. If she still feels the same way after she stabilizes mentally and you guys have been in counseling for a while, the writing is on the wall, i hope I am wrong.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

quirky

New

Post by quirky » Sun May 21, 2017 10:57 pm

I am so sorry. And to start, no one knows your relationship better than you so only you can really decide what is best for you and your relationship. That being said, your posts at the beginning of this thread gave me the impression you were, at least kind of, wanting to break up with her. If so, it is a not a good sign that you both are thinking about that as an option.

izha

New

Post by izha » Sun May 21, 2017 11:03 pm

quirky wrote:

I am so sorry. And to start, no one knows your relationship better than you so only you can really decide what is best for you and your relationship. That being said, your posts at the beginning of this thread gave me the impression you were, at least kind of, wanting to break up with her. If so, it is a not a good sign that you both are thinking about that as an option.
Just run. Today. She will never change.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 22, 2017 11:25 am

OP here.

After fighting all last night and this morning, she just told me via text that she'll quit her job for me.

At this point, I know what to believe. She's promised me before that she will quit, only to change her mind later. Also, she shouldn't be quitting just because I ask her. She needs to quit because her own health is at risk. The fact that she doesn't understand that this job is killing her is very troubling and upsetting.

I have no idea why she wants to become such a martyr for this job.

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Mon May 22, 2017 11:41 am

After fighting all last night and this morning, she just told me via text that she'll quit her job for me.

At this point, I know what to believe. She's promised me before that she will quit, only to change her mind later. Also, she shouldn't be quitting just because I ask her. She needs to quit because her own health is at risk. The fact that she doesn't understand that this job is killing her is very troubling and upsetting.

I guess give her a chance and see what happens. 5 years of a relationship is quite a bit for anyone to just throw away. I do think some people need to step out of the shit they're in before they realize they're wrong. Just because right now she says she's quitting her job "for you" rather than understanding that it's not a good job for her mental/physical health doesn't mean she wouldn't understand later when she's somewhere else and, hopefully, better off. But if what you fear happens again, this does get to the "maybe it's better to break up" type of conversation where I would feel I'm overstepping my bounds of giving advice. Good luck.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Mon May 22, 2017 12:09 pm

I'm guessing you don't understand her "addiction" to this job. It sounds like she's just denying severity of the situation.
Don't worry about why she quits.

bruinfan10

Silver

Post by bruinfan10 » Mon May 22, 2017 12:56 pm

WinterComing wrote:Uh, yeah. That was the point. I think this discussion is distasteful and shouldn't be happening. Why would I also add in my equally unqualified opinion?
Anonymous User wrote:OP, I'm a biglaw associate engaged to a PD [and proceeds to give thoughts based on living through similar circumstances].
That's why OP asked for advice here Winter. Because there are people here who've gone through similar experiences. I'll refrain from explaining exactly how stupid you look right now, only because you detracted less from this thread than the TLS trumpers who literally said the solution is "wait until she has babies." i'm losing hope for this forum.

Hang in there OP, I'd definitely consider speaking with a therapist yourself to try and sort out what to do.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Mon May 22, 2017 1:34 pm

bruinfan10 wrote:
WinterComing wrote:Uh, yeah. That was the point. I think this discussion is distasteful and shouldn't be happening. Why would I also add in my equally unqualified opinion?
Anonymous User wrote:OP, I'm a biglaw associate engaged to a PD [and proceeds to give thoughts based on living through similar circumstances].
That's why OP asked for advice here Winter. Because there are people here who've gone through similar experiences. I'll refrain from explaining exactly how stupid you look right now, only because you detracted less from this thread than the TLS trumpers who literally said the solution is "wait until she has babies." i'm losing hope for this forum.

Hang in there OP, I'd definitely consider speaking with a therapist yourself to try and sort out what to do.
I don't think anyone said "wait until she has babies." If you are referring to my post, I said maybe she will change after she has kids. That wasn't meant as any advice to wait until then. It also wasn't meant as sexist just because she's a woman. People seemed to assume those things.
They overlooked my actual advice which was:
Help her find another job, get therapy and enlist the medical doctors in helping to convince her to leave.
No one said do nothing until maybe you have a family and it's absurd to make that assumption.

The only thing that has changed the true workaholics that I've known in biglaw is having a family. A spouse alone doesn't seem to create a pressure to change.

OP doesn't think his SO is a workaholic but she is fairly obviously obsessed with her job, even if she isn't working 24/7.

bruinfan10

Silver

Post by bruinfan10 » Mon May 22, 2017 2:24 pm

Npret wrote:
bruinfan10 wrote:

I don't think anyone said "wait until she has babies." If you are referring to my post, I said maybe she will change after she has kids. That wasn't meant as any advice to wait until then. It also wasn't meant as sexist just because she's a woman. People seemed to assume those things.
They overlooked my actual advice which was:
Help her find another job, get therapy and enlist the medical doctors in helping to convince her to leave.
No one said do nothing until maybe you have a family and it's absurd to make that assumption.

The only thing that has changed the true workaholics that I've known in biglaw is having a family. A spouse alone doesn't seem to create a pressure to change.

OP doesn't think his SO is a workaholic but she is fairly obviously obsessed with her job, even if she isn't working 24/7.
if i misread that last point in your earlier posts---that in your experience with the workaholics in your life, starting a family was the only thing that managed to snap them out of it---I apologize.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”