Trump student loan plans Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Trump student loan plans

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 17, 2017 4:06 pm

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/ed ... 23c529ce16
The administration is also seeking to overhaul key elements of federal financial aid. The spending proposal would maintain funding for Pell Grants for students in financial need, but it would eliminate more than $700 million in Perkins loans for disadvantaged students; nearly halve the work-study program that helps students work their way through school, cutting $490 million; take a first step toward ending subsidized loans, for which the government pays interest while the borrower is in school; and end loan forgiveness for public servants.

The loan forgiveness program, enacted in 2007, was designed to encourage college graduates to pursue careers as social workers, teachers, public defenders or doctors in rural areas. There are at least 552,931 people on track to receive the benefit, with the first wave of forgiveness set for October. It’s unclear how the proposed elimination would affect those borrowers.

The administration also wants to replace five income-driven student loan repayment plans with a single plan.

That change would likely benefit many undergraduate borrowers, who currently can have the balance of their loan forgiven after paying 10 percent of their income for 20 years. Trump’s proposal — which makes good on a campaign promise — would raise the maximum payment to 12.5 percent of income, but shorten the payment period to 15 years.

The proposal is less sweet for borrowers who take out loans to earn advanced degrees. They currently pay monthly bills capped at 10 percent of income for 25 years. Under the new plan, they’d pay more (12.5 percent of income) for longer (30 years).
This is...bad, no?

sadpandayolo

New

Re: Trump student loan plans

Post by sadpandayolo » Wed May 17, 2017 4:11 pm

Somebody tell me the pros and cons so I don't have to do the thinking

potus

Bronze

Post by potus » Wed May 17, 2017 4:47 pm

"...end loan forgiveness for public servants" Does this affect LRAP?

Quichelorraine

Bronze

Post by Quichelorraine » Wed May 17, 2017 4:57 pm

If by "LRAP" you mean "PSLF," then yes; it ends it.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Wed May 17, 2017 5:02 pm

potus wrote:"...end loan forgiveness for public servants" Does this affect LRAP?
Many schools' plans depend on PSLF to forgive your loans and the only make the minimum payment under IBR.
Note no one has had loans forgiven under the plan yet. No idea if this is retroactive.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Aristogeiton1

New

Post by Aristogeiton1 » Wed May 17, 2017 5:07 pm

Hurrah. More damage to the higher education system here in the US. What could go wrong?

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Post by ballouttacontrol » Wed May 17, 2017 5:10 pm

gonna go ahead and file this under things that congress will not pass or even bring to the floor

JakeTappers

Bronze

Post by JakeTappers » Wed May 17, 2017 5:11 pm

Obviously, this seems disastrous for law students in public service, particularly those 5 years in who have made huge life decisions based on PSLF. It's hard to imagine there isn't a detrimental reliance argument for those who have, but, as many have discussed, the government doesn't care and no one knows if or how that argument could ever play out.

The bigger question might be, couldn't a democratic administration (god willing) simply reenact PSLF in a few years? Certainly would have some serious consequences for those whose 10 year mark comes in 2017-2020, but I can't imagine it not coming back once there is turnover--especially if you get a democrat in the vein of warren or bernie.

Love With The Coco

New

Post by Love With The Coco » Wed May 17, 2017 5:11 pm

Aristogeiton1 wrote:Hurrah. More damage to the higher education system here in the US. What could go wrong?
(College administrator)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Quichelorraine

Bronze

Post by Quichelorraine » Wed May 17, 2017 5:12 pm

Having lived through an election cycle and change of guarantees about things that will never happen, I'm not staking my livelihood on the idea that Congress won't do something stupid out of the goodness of its heart.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Wed May 17, 2017 5:12 pm

Aristogeiton1 wrote:Hurrah. More damage to the higher education system here in the US. What could go wrong?
A lot.
Anyway we know that tuition is out of control because of the pass through from government to school through students. I don't know if this will make a difference in tuition.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Wed May 17, 2017 5:17 pm

ballouttacontrol wrote:gonna go ahead and file this under things that congress will not pass or even bring to the floor
The problem is what do you do if you are relying on loans or PSLF?

Civilservant

New

Post by Civilservant » Wed May 17, 2017 5:54 pm

I'm about half way towards pslf eligibility, so I depend on its viability, though 5 more years of payments won't kill me... The issue is, will this go anywhere? Let's remember that the Obama administration wanted to effectively end pslf for post graduate students with a cap, but it didn't go anywhere.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Desert Fox

Diamond

Post by Desert Fox » Wed May 17, 2017 6:17 pm

Worst case you keep paying for an extra 5 years. Sounds fair to me. Subsidizing a bunch of lawyers is a terrible waste of resources.
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bluem_11

Bronze

Post by Bluem_11 » Wed May 17, 2017 6:20 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Worst case you keep paying for an extra 5 years. Sounds fair to me. Subsidizing a bunch of lawyers is a terrible waste of resources.
Ya while the program has been nice to have, in reality it was meant for teachers/nurses, but it's been leaned on much more by law students, grad students etc.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Wed May 17, 2017 6:24 pm

Bluem_11 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Worst case you keep paying for an extra 5 years. Sounds fair to me. Subsidizing a bunch of lawyers is a terrible waste of resources.
Ya while the program has been nice to have, in reality it was meant for teachers/nurses, but it's been leaned on much more by law students, grad students etc.
How is it only an extra 5 years?

wesker

New

Post by wesker » Wed May 17, 2017 6:37 pm

Npret wrote:
Bluem_11 wrote:
It's not, it's for another 25 years...

"The proposal is less sweet for borrowers who take out loans to earn advanced degrees. They currently pay monthly bills capped at 10 percent of income for 25 years. Under the new plan, they’d pay more (12.5 percent of income) for longer (30 years)."

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Wed May 17, 2017 6:50 pm

wesker wrote:
Npret wrote:
Bluem_11 wrote:

"The proposal is less sweet for borrowers who take out loans to earn advanced degrees. They currently pay monthly bills capped at 10 percent of income for 25 years. Under the new plan, they’d pay more (12.5 percent of income) for longer (30 years)."
That's another 5 years over IBR, 10 years over PAYE, and 20 years over PSLF.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Wed May 17, 2017 6:52 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
wesker wrote:
Npret wrote:
Bluem_11 wrote:

That's another 5 years over IBR, 10 years over PAYE, and 20 years over PSLF.
Thank you!

DougEvans789

New

Post by DougEvans789 » Wed May 17, 2017 11:08 pm

Realistically speaking, they have to grandfather in people currently relying on PSLF, right? Regardless of the program's merits, it seems really unfair to let people incur debt assuming it will be there and then get rid of the program before they can use it.

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Wed May 17, 2017 11:45 pm

DougEvans789 wrote:Realistically speaking, they have to grandfather in people currently relying on PSLF, right? Regardless of the program's merits, it seems really unfair to let people incur debt assuming it will be there and then get rid of the program before they can use it.
yeah, most likely. these bills likely arent going to gain traction. the reason the current ones were put in place is because people were just defaulting on their loans and daring the govt to come after them. the same thing will happen again. this is the most profitable route for the govt.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Thu May 18, 2017 12:04 am

Thankfully PSLF is statutory. The two largest professions benefitting from it are lawyers and doctors, and LJL at the thought of Congress ever passing something that royally fucks those two groups.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Thu May 18, 2017 12:07 am

DougEvans789 wrote:Realistically speaking, they have to grandfather in people currently relying on PSLF, right? Regardless of the program's merits, it seems really unfair to let people incur debt assuming it will be there and then get rid of the program before they can use it.
Yes. Our promissory notes contain a term outlining PSLF. It's a condition subsequent and since the govt is acting in a commercial capacity by providing loans a court would likely find that the promissory note controls and the US would have to abide by its terms, which includes PSLF. That's my opinion.

Impressionist

Bronze

Post by Impressionist » Thu May 18, 2017 12:22 am

People out of law school started on this are likely fine. Those in school now or who just accepted an offer believing this would be in place may be fucked if anything comes of this.

Obviously there are other long term plans to make PI feasible, but ofc 10y is the quickest and comes without the tax bomb at the end.

encore1101

Silver

Post by encore1101 » Thu May 18, 2017 10:07 am

Well, we could always resort to coal mining since that industry is apparently making a comeback.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”