NYU/Georgetown LLM in Tax if I already have a job? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

NYU/Georgetown LLM in Tax if I already have a job?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 15, 2017 11:08 pm

My question is in the title. I'm debating whether or not to continue on and get an LLM from NYU/Georgetown or maybe Florida/Northwestern. I go to a "trash" law school and am a rising 3L. This summer I will be interning with a Big 4 in their M&A Tax/TAS group. I will have a MS in accounting (with an emphasis in tax) by the time I graduate law school. If I receive an offer from this group, is it worth getting an LLM? Even if I don't receive an offer from the internship, is it worth getting an LLM if I already have an MST? Thanks!

guyindfw

New

Re: NYU/Georgetown LLM in Tax if I already have a job?

Post by guyindfw » Tue May 16, 2017 7:30 am

If you get a job that you want after intership why would you quit it for LLM. Also you could always do an LLM anytime in the future.

nealric

Post by nealric » Tue May 16, 2017 11:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:My question is in the title. I'm debating whether or not to continue on and get an LLM from NYU/Georgetown or maybe Florida/Northwestern. I go to a "trash" law school and am a rising 3L. This summer I will be interning with a Big 4 in their M&A Tax/TAS group. I will have a MS in accounting (with an emphasis in tax) by the time I graduate law school. If I receive an offer from this group, is it worth getting an LLM? Even if I don't receive an offer from the internship, is it worth getting an LLM if I already have an MST? Thanks!
If you will already have an MS in tax, I don't see all that much value add if you get an offer from Big 4. Doing the CPA exam probably makes more sense in terms of tax credentialing if you already have the prerequisites. If you do not get an offer, an NYU LLM could make sense for another bite at the apple- albeit a risky and expensive one. I wouldn't consider Florida or Northwestern unless you are from Florida/Chicago and looking to practice in those cities.

Jon_Snow

New

Post by Jon_Snow » Fri May 19, 2017 11:23 am

What city will you be with Big4?

From what I know big4 pays less for JDs without an LLM. But they will pay for your part time LLM, and bump your salary up when you complete.

Big4 hours can be very similar to BigLaw in certain cities for much less pay. Even less w/o an LLM. But Big 4 is supposed to be more collegial and you have a bit more time to get oriented with the work.

I think you should reach out to a current alumni at a Big4 from your law school who can answer your questions, or wait until you begin your summer.

Of course, note that Big 4 is not a guarantee just because you summered there.

Mickfromgm

Bronze

Post by Mickfromgm » Mon May 22, 2017 11:34 am

First off, based on your credentials, don't bother going to any LLM program other than NYU, Georgetown or Florida (cheap!!!), IMHO.

Advice: don't just think of the next job -- think of all future jobs. Looking back, I regret not doing JD/LLM (tax) joint degree for an extra semester, to tell you the truth.

Having said that, if doing an LLM means you are going to forgo a job offer from Big 4, take the offer. A Big 4 experience on your resume will look darn good, and you can always get an LLM later (can't you even do that part-time nowadays?).

If you are offered a job, I would consider asking if they can defer you for a year and, it's Big 4, maybe they can pay some of the tuition?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”